The Student Room Group

Rank your IB subjects, from favourite to least favourite

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Schrode
Likewise :tongue: I applied to Manchester, Bristol, Edinburgh, Liverpool and Bath. I still don't know whether Manchester or Bristol will be my first choice though. What about you? :smile:

Nice university choices, all respectable universities :smile: You could perhaps choose Manchester as a first choice and Bristol/Edinburgh as an insurance?

Applied to Glasgow, Queen Mary, Nottingham, Aberdeen and Dundee myself. Hoping to have Glasgow as a firm choice and Queen Mary as an insurance choice.
Original post by Akbar1
Nice university choices, all respectable universities :smile: You could perhaps choose Manchester as a first choice and Bristol/Edinburgh as an insurance?

Applied to Glasgow, Queen Mary, Nottingham, Aberdeen and Dundee myself. Hoping to have Glasgow as a firm choice and Queen Mary as an insurance choice.

Well I am still waiting for offers. I applied roughly a week ago and I only got an invitation to a visit day at Bristol until now. Glasgow sounds nice! I also heard Queen Mary is a really good uni :smile: Good luck with the IB!
Reply 22
Original post by Akbar1
Some universities do want HL Maths for Computing Science, however, some universities (especially in my case) also accept science related subjects (i.e. geography, physics, chemistry, biology, computer science, etc.) and regard SL Maths (to some degree) as the closest alternative to A-Level Maths.

Got 3 offers from Glasgow, Nottingham and Queen Mary if you are interested.

Congratulations!!! That's amazing!! That's really good to know- good luck with everything, I'm sure you'll do well wherever you go! Merry Xmas!!😃
Reply 23
Original post by Schrode
Well I am still waiting for offers. I applied roughly a week ago and I only got an invitation to a visit day at Bristol until now. Glasgow sounds nice! I also heard Queen Mary is a really good uni :smile: Good luck with the IB!

[QUOTE="Romula;52424165"]
Original post by Akbar1
Some universities do want HL Maths for Computing Science, however, some universities (especially in my case) also accept science related subjects (i.e. geography, physics, chemistry, biology, computer science, etc.) and regard SL Maths (to some degree) as the closest alternative to A-Level Maths.

Got 3 offers from Glasgow, Nottingham and Queen Mary if you are interested.

Congratulations!!! That's amazing!! That's really good to know- good luck with everything, I'm sure you'll do well wherever you go! Merry Xmas!!

Thanks Schrode and Romula :smile: Good luck with your applications!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Reply 24
Maths SL/Economics HL -> my most favourite subjects
Psychology HL/Spanish ab initio SL
Biology HL
English Literature SL -> least favourite subject by far!
Chemistry (most favourite)
Biology
Geography (most annoying but i manage a 6/7)
English
Maths
Spanish

I don't have a least favourite subject. All of mine are (mostly) tolerable. Don't get me started on TOK however.....
Original post by aprilreverie
Don't get me started on TOK however.....

:lolz::lolz:

TOK is the probably the least useful class we have to take in IB
Chemistry (most favourite)
Biology
Geography (most annoying but i manage a 6/7)
English
Maths
Spanish

I don't have a least favourite subject. All of mine are (mostly) tolerable. Don't get me started on TOK however.....

Are you doing chemistry and maths hl or sl and how are you finding them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingCorneliusIII
Are you doing chemistry and maths hl or sl and how are you finding them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing Chemistry HL and Maths SL. I find Chemistry HL as a really good challenge. I have to work pretty hard to keep 7 in that class and I really do put in a lot of effort into understanding the theory. However, Chemistry has always been my favourite science for many reasons so I don't mind the time I have to put into it! Maths SL is pretty easy. I really wish I had taken Maths HL as I don't find myself challenged at all. I sometimes end up doing questions out of the Maths HL textbook to feel as if I'm doing some work but the fact that it's an 'easy' 7 for me is not something i'm going to complain about :smile:
I'm doing Chemistry HL and Maths SL. I find Chemistry HL as a really good challenge. I have to work pretty hard to keep 7 in that class and I really do put in a lot of effort into understanding the theory. However, Chemistry has always been my favourite science for many reasons so I don't mind the time I have to put into it! Maths SL is pretty easy. I really wish I had taken Maths HL as I don't find myself challenged at all. I sometimes end up doing questions out of the Maths HL textbook to feel as if I'm doing some work but the fact that it's an 'easy' 7 for me is not something i'm going to complain about :smile:

Thanks a lot. I forgot before but what English are you doing (lang or lit, or drama)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingCorneliusIII
Thanks a lot. I forgot before but what English are you doing (lang or lit, or drama)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

English Lit :smile: What's english drama? I've never heard or come across that!
English Lit :smile: What's english drama? I've never heard or come across that!

Sorry I meant lit and performance. Basically instead of Shakespeare you study drama texts but it's only sl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Economics - by far my favorite, my teacher was excellent and the class was interesting
Math
Chemistry
English
French
Physics - just an awful teacher, but looking back at it compared to what I study now it was the easiest thing ever smh

I graduated before they changed Economics and English tho, we had easier econ but harder english, still glad it's all over haha
Eng Lit HL & History HL <-- favorite
Geography HL
Math Studies
Biology
CAS (thought i had to throw it in there considering the workload)
Chinese Lang Lit <-- hate
Reply 34
Would I be right to say English at IB is not considered easy or enjoyable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucyea

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to hate English in 9th and 10th grade and for IB I chose English Language and Literature instead of Literature and in the first year it was really interesting! It was one of my favorite classes! Lit however is hard but some people enjoy it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 36
English HL
Maths Studies SL
Chemistry SL
French SL
Biology HL
Economics HL

Hmm, a lot of mine is influenced by teachers/teaching to be fair.
Original post by Lucyea

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do English Lit and it's not as hard as everyone says! The books choices are much better than the iGCSE ones and the tasks are a lot broader and leave a lot of room for creativity. Personally, I feel as if enjoying a subject has a lot to do with the teacher, if the teacher isn't passionate how can the students be? From experience, my GCSE teacher was fantastic, she led my class which was averaging at the B-C boundary to scoring A*s.
Reply 38
Psychology HL
Philosophy SL
English Lit HL
Maths Studies SL
Spanish HL
Physics SL

I love physics as a science, it's so wonderfully interesting, but studying it currently is proving to be horrifically stressful :s-smilie:
Original post by Pepsiii
Psychology HL
Philosophy SL
English Lit HL
Maths Studies SL
Spanish HL
Physics SL

I love physics as a science, it's so wonderfully interesting, but studying it currently is proving to be horrifically stressful :s-smilie:

I agree, Physics is really stressful, especially at HL but it's so interesting that it really balances out the difficulty of the course :smile:

Quick Reply