The Student Room Group

Am I a good driver? I've driven 45,000 miles without any incident / nearly 3 years

I've been driving for almost 3 years now and when I bought my current car it had about 117,000 on the clock. it now has almost 157,000 on the clock. so I've driven about 40,000 in this car and I had another car for a short while before having my current car in which I covered about another 5,000 miles in so in total in my driving career I've covered about 45,000 miles.

My car is rubbish on fuel though, it only averages around 29 mpg so 45,000 miles of driving = one big fuel bill!

I live in North West by Wigan and I've driven many places including

. London
.Windermere/Lake District
.Birmingham
.Wales
.Skipton
.Bolton
Manchester
.Yorkshire /Malton

Basically anywhere in England, Wales I've basically driven so far
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What an odd thread.
Reply 2
Just lucky.

I had to make a claim on my car insurance this year because some idiot drove into the back of my car when it was parked in a bay one way street. Doesn't make me a bad driver just because I've now 0 years no claims bonus.

Edited: The other drive drove off
(edited 9 years ago)
What does it matter if you're a good driver or not? driving is just a mode of transport, unless you're a "car enthusiast" it really is insignificant, even if you did have a great car, your care for it would be because of the price, just like any other materialistic item.
Original post by spyka
Just lucky.

I had to make a claim on my car insurance this year because some idiot drove into the back of my car when it was parked in a bay one way street. Doesn't make me a bad driver just because I've now 0 years no claims bonus.

If you weren't at fault, why did you lose your no claims?
Reply 5
Well you're obviously doing well, keep it that way! :wink:
Original post by ToastyCoke

Er, because he made a claim. The no claims discount, unsurprisingly, is a discount given to those who don't make claims. The question of whether the claimant was at fault is irrelevant.
[QUOTE="Audi;52409841"]Well you're obviously doing well, keep it that way! :wink:[/QUOTE

I shall. Many thanks !
Of course! But you aren't thinking it through. If he had to claim on his own insurance it is likely to be because the other driver didn't stop, or because he was uninsured, and there was no evidence that allowed him to identify the culprit - a classic hit and run.
You should touch wood
Try taking an advanced course with the Institute of Advanced Motorists, that will see if you're a good driver :wink:
Reply 11
Anyone who proclaims themselves to be a good driver invariably is not.
The most you can get away with when describing yourself is "competent".

I've been driving over ten years and never had an accident. Despite that, I'm nowhere near arrogant enough to describe myself as "good".
Original post by Good bloke
Er, because he made a claim. The no claims discount, unsurprisingly, is a discount given to those who don't make claims. The question of whether the claimant was at fault is irrelevant.

Er, he wasn't at fault. The other driver was liable. The other drivers insurance should have paid repairs, not the posters insurance. Had the other drive been uninsured or hit and run, the poster should have clarified this, so perfectly acceptable to assume this was a normal accident.

Sarcastic prat.
(edited 9 years ago)
Er, he wasn't at fault. The other driver was liable. The other drivers insurance should have paid repairs, not the posters insurance. Had the other drive been uninsured or hit and run, the poster should have clarified this, so perfectly acceptable to assume this was a normal accident.

Sarcastic prat.

I never said he was at fault; he clearly isn't. I presume you have read post 10 of this thread and that you prefer to assume the OP is so dense that he made his own needless and expensive claim in preference to suing the other party at no cost. I prefer to assume that he isn't that stupid and that all avenues were explored before he reluctantly claimed on his own insurance in the absence of information about and/or evidence against the person at fault. It makes more sense from what we have been told.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JC.
Anyone who proclaims themselves to be a good driver invariably is not.
The most you can get away with when describing yourself is "competent".

I've been driving over ten years and never had an accident. Despite that, I'm nowhere near arrogant enough to describe myself as "good".

You just won this thread.
Original post by I am handsome
I've been driving for almost 3 years now and when I bought my current car it had about 117,000 on the clock. it now has almost 157,000 on the clock. so I've driven about 40,000 in this car and I had another car for a short while before having my current car in which I covered about another 5,000 miles in so in total in my driving career I've covered about 45,000 miles.

My car is rubbish on fuel though, it only averages around 29 mpg so 45,000 miles of driving = one big fuel bill!

I live in North West by Wigan and I've driven many places including

. London
.Windermere/Lake District
.Birmingham
.Wales
.Skipton
.Bolton
Manchester
.Yorkshire /Malton

Basically anywhere in England, Wales I've basically driven so far

I live in Wigan too :smile:
Reply 16

Because I had no clue who hit me, they drove off.
Reply 17
Do you even drift bro?
Had the other drive been uninsured or hit and run, the poster should have clarified this, so perfectly acceptable to assume this was a normal accident.

I take it you have now read post 19 of this thread.

Sarcastic prat

It is always amusing and satisfying to see those that needlessly descend into personal abuse learn the truth of what they were being abusive about, isn't it?
JC posts a good answer

as for the OPs skills or otherwise with out an assessment drive ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending