The Student Room Group

I'm dyslexic AMA

I am dyslexic and as a result have always struggled with reading and spelling. I am in year 10 doing my GCSEs.

Scroll to see replies

Were you the dyslexic guy who walked into a bra?
How old are you?
what's 9+10?
Reply 4
Do you think that it is fair that you get extra time in exams?
Reply 5
Original post by Fallen21
Do you think that it is fair that you get extra time in exams?

Yes, it takes me about 15% longer to read than everyone ells so 15% extra time helps put me on a level playing field. You would be unable to fairly test my knowledge of a subject without allowing extra time. I get no advantage over anyone without extra time.
Reply 6
Original post by beeninetytwo
How old are you?

Are there any advantages to being Dyslexic?
What words can't you spell?
Your interests?
Which subjects are you studying?
Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?
Do you wish that you were different?
If so, why?
Struggling with academics?
How did you react when you found out that you were dyslexic?
Are you teased because of it?
How are you finding life?
One thing to pursue in life & why? [h="1"]
Funniest spelling mistake/situation?
Do you have coloured glasses? If so, what colour?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by OU Student
Are there any advantages to being Dyslexic?

Yes creativity is generally higher in dyslexics.
Im Also dyslexic however i only just got diagnosed after Retaking my second year of AS, as a result I think I may aswell have been in a huge disadvantage because not only now Am i offered 25% extra time but i have to use a computer to due to my unreadlbe handrwiting
Do you get annoyed if people confuse you with dyspraxic?

I'm dyspraxic, and it really annoys me that people can't tell the difference between the two!
Original post by PopTheMolly
Im Also dyslexic however i only just got diagnosed after Retaking my second year of AS, as a result I think I may aswell have been in a huge disadvantage because not only now Am i offered 25% extra time but i have to use a computer to due to my unreadlbe handrwiting

If you apply to uni, make sure you include that in your UCAS application. GCSEs aren't considered as much, but are a nice bonus.
Reply 16
Original post by inachigeek21
Your interests?
Which subjects are you studying?
Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?
Do you wish that you were different?
If so, why?
Struggling with academics?
How did you react when you found out that you were dyslexic?
Are you teased because of it?
How are you finding life?
One thing to pursue in life & why? [h="1"]

My interests are architecture, law and geology .

My GCSE options are art, economics, history and geography.

In 10 years time, hmmm, hopefully at the start of a promising career as an Architect. But I can be indecisive about big decisions so it could be anything. I am interested in law possible a trainee solicitor.

I don't wish I was any different. My difficulty with reading and writing has given me a work ethic that others my age don't have. I personally think that it will be a huge advantage to me in the future. Their are some things I wish were different e.g. not being patronised by learning support tutors, or not having my intelligence dismissed because I spelt something wrong.

Yes, I have had to drop my GCSE French and now do no languages so I can keep up with my other subjects. However I can normally achieve Bs in most subjects (including English) providing I really try.

My parents found out when I was really young like 7-8 so I can't remember that much. Just having to take a series of tests and then a woman explaining to me and my parents that I was dyslexic. I didn't really think much of it at that age.

Not really. Occasionally someone will make a joke about it but I don't get offended by it. Someone once in year 7 found it really funny that I couldn't spell 'because'. That did make me upset, but that is the worst bit of teasing.

I enjoy life a lot.
Reply 17
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Do you get annoyed if people confuse you with dyspraxic?

I'm dyspraxic, and it really annoys me that people can't tell the difference between the two!

Yeah it does annoy me. My friend is dyspraxic and it annoys him as well.
Original post by gonnagetrejected
what's 9+10?

Stop the horrible comments... it's not funney to have dyslexia

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know a girl who's doing medicine at Cambridge and she's dyslexic.

How did you feel when you were first diagnosed?

Original post by gonnagetrejected
what's 9+10?

Hahaha

Quick Reply

Latest