The Student Room Group

Hating A2 year and keep feeeling stressed

Hi,
I'm so sick of my last year in sixth form at the moment. I get quite a bit of classwork to finish as homework or actual homework every day, and because I'm a worrier I like to do as much as I can at all times, but its grating on my mind quite a bit.
Some of my lessons quite hard now- German I'm the only pupil so I'm feeling quite thick and useless in those lessons if I feel I don't say much or forget some words. Media is hard because lately the teacher (who is dyslexic, but quite an intellectual) makes us sit there whilst she debates about something and I learn by writing not by sitting and listening. Some lessons I come out and feel like I've learnt nothing, and feel like a failure. I taught most of my media AS to myself and got the high grade I wanted but I don't think I could do it again at A2.
And lastly, my two best friends just quit so now I'm pretty much on my own. I'm okay in school, but once I get home I can cry a lot. I do have one true friend but I can't spend much time with her really.
Ideally, I'd like to quit since I hate the atmosphere but I don't have anything else to do, and although the idea of uni scares me I still want to go.
I'm going to speak to subject teachers at consultation evening, and possibly the head of sixth but I don't know what else to do to make myself less stressed and feel better. I used to be an insomniac and still have trouble with anorexia and binge eating which doesn't help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you dont want to quit! what would u do with your life. Seriously stick at it, i know its hard but if u keep your eye on the prize, after all the hard work and emotion its put u through, it will be so worth it.
keep your chin up
I hated final year of sixth form too, I just wanted to get out of there! Studying subjects I'm barely interested in, having far more workload as you do so many subjects (I did 4), the only thing that kept me going was the thought of going to uni!
Reply 3
zoe_b
you dont want to quit! what would u do with your life. Seriously stick at it, i know its hard but if u keep your eye on the prize, after all the hard work and emotion its put u through, it will be so worth it.
keep your chin up

Exactly. I can't get a job, and seeing my friend quit and do nothing with her life makes me tell myself I shouldn't. I just hate the idea of spending one more year in a dump.
Reply 4
my best mate didnt go and shes not doing very much with her life, whereas i stuck at it and im now at the uni i wanted doing the course i wanted to do. Put it into perspective chick, and itl balance out.
Reply 5
i sooooooooo know what ur going thru girl.......
Reply 6
zoe_b
my best mate didnt go and shes not doing very much with her life, whereas i stuck at it and im now at the uni i wanted doing the course i wanted to do. Put it into perspective chick, and itl balance out.

Usually it keeps me going knowing that I sort of want to go to uni. I just get times where I think "Argh" and just feel lonely.

Seems like a huge gap from As to A2.
I just kept telling myself it was only 8 months, lol, don't get me wrong I loved my friends, but I just wasn't interested inlearning so many subjects when I knew exactly what I wanted to do!
Reply 8
tinkerbellejess
I just kept telling myself it was only 8 months, lol, don't get me wrong I loved my friends, but I just wasn't interested inlearning so many subjects when I knew exactly what I wanted to do!

I don't mind the other 2 that much, but I do want to do just the one subject. It'd help if they taught me properly.
Reply 9
The thing you need to think about is, if you leave and start a job. That is what you will be doing for the rest of your life. Thats a long time, and most people say they wish they could go back to school.
I can see that without your friends it could be hard. You should try to make new friends, maybe in different group, you never know you might enjoy a change in company.
Reply 10
hannah_dru
Usually it keeps me going knowing that I sort of want to go to uni. I just get times where I think "Argh" and just feel lonely.

Seems like a huge gap from As to A2.

its a pretty big gap and work load is like doubled and the work gets alot harder, but keep on top of things like coursework and homeworks and you will be fine! When the work load gets you down, have a look at the website for your uni or something - see what your slaving over is actually worth it lol.
Reply 11
Put it this way Hannah, you have 30 weeks left (not including hols) so call it 20 weeks incl all holidays, 10 fortnights. Its those 20 weeks that can change your life forever! These 20 weeks can change the next 20 years. A levels are a big thing, hence the toughness of them. But they mean so much! Stick at it and when your down play U2 - Walk On or U2 - Kite. Those are great pick me ups! music can provide a nice escape for half an hour, try it. Put your books to one side for half an hour and just let the sounds wash over you and relax and then when you feel refreshed go back to it, make time for work but also for recreation. Also, talk to your parents about it, a problem shared is a problem solved! Good luck. Heres the relaxing vids!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgWTQzeFfb0 U2 "Walk On"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwMdO3HK_ws U2 "Kite"
hannah_dru
Hi,
I'm so sick of my last year in sixth form at the moment. I get quite a bit of classwork to finish as homework or actual homework every day, and because I'm a worrier I like to do as much as I can at all times, but its grating on my mind quite a bit.
Some of my lessons quite hard now- German I'm the only pupil so I'm feeling quite thick and useless in those lessons if I feel I don't say much or forget some words. Media is hard because lately the teacher (who is dyslexic, but quite an intellectual) makes us sit there whilst she debates about something and I learn by writing not by sitting and listening. Some lessons I come out and feel like I've learnt nothing, and feel like a failure. I taught most of my media AS to myself and got the high grade I wanted but I don't think I could do it again at A2.
And lastly, my two best friends just quit so now I'm pretty much on my own. I'm okay in school, but once I get home I can cry a lot. I do have one true friend but I can't spend much time with her really.
Ideally, I'd like to quit since I hate the atmosphere but I don't have anything else to do, and although the idea of uni scares me I still want to go.
I'm going to speak to subject teachers at consultation evening, and possibly the head of sixth but I don't know what else to do to make myself less stressed and feel better. I used to be an insomniac and still have trouble with anorexia and binge eating which doesn't help.

i felt the same last year! i hated it and thught i couldnt lat one more year, but it gets better cos each day done means youre one day nearer to the end. With german take advantage of being the only pupil thats great! I mean you get one on one practice so youre orals will be fantastic. DOnt cry about this cos when youre older youll think gawd i cant believe i cried about something do daft. i understand though cos i felt the same. but put the sad energy into getting great marks, best of luck if you need to talk ever just drop me a pm
so u got bbbc, thats good grades, assuming then u can be predicted AAA for A2. dw about being the only person in german, this way u get more help, its like 1 vs 1 tuition. media... well talk to your teacher about it is the best way. i started my biology this year hating it, but then i just went home spent 1 night studied biology hard for 2 - 3 hours, and i understood it, now i love biology classes.

its your last year, work load is of course high, i have to do resits and my A2, so your better off :P its only this year and summer holiday for like dam 3 months, and uni... then its all good. in uni you'll meet loads ppl on your course, which will become ur mates, u will have to manage ur own life (which is somthing i look forward to althought im still living home).

its a hard time for everyone, however if you get pass this step of your life, you'll be fine for the rest of the journey.

to relieve stress, well wat kinda sport do u like to play? also go out with family and stuff, if you're too stressed, which there is no need, you could always give yourself a break.

the few things u must do while ur studying A2, are completing coursework deadlines, finish ucas, revise resits, revise everything u do in class everyday, finish hwk and thats about it. you should have plenty of fress to revise everything u do in class and finish hwk, leave revise resits, ucas, and coursework at home... dont see how you cannot complete these 3 tasks.

im not the best student out there, but i know how to get the best grades

that is:
-revise everything ur taught on the SAMEDAY, you mite think oh i'll leave it till weekends, but during weekends u'll be too tired to do anything
-complete everything, meet deadlines
-complete things early, i.e. ucas, coursework, practical work for cwk.
-do hwk on the day its set, so u can go to teachers the next day if u need help. (this is really important)lets do some simple maths:

hence youre doing 3 subjects and hence you get 1 - 3 pieces of hwk each day. everyday when u do those hwk, u wud have AT LEAST 1 problem each day. so 1 problem each day... it adds up, 5 times a week, a month thats about 20 times where u see ur teacher. in about 6 months, that really builds up, roughly 120 times when uve seen ur teacher, of cos normally u wud have more trouble than u think.

why did i do the above? to show how much trouble we get while doing hwk and how teachers can help us.

im sorry for waffling too much, and bad grammer and typos, hope the last bit helped ya on coping with school load and stress.

if u got any more problem, just gimme a pm and i'll reply asap

Kelv
Reply 14
Put it this way Hannah, you have 30 weeks left (not including hols) so call it 20 weeks incl all holidays, 10 fortnights. Its those 20 weeks that can change your life forever! These 20 weeks can change the next 20 years.

That's a good way to look at it. Sounds alot shorter than saying "I have a year left"
Reply 15
shirley7
That's a good way to look at it. Sounds alot shorter than saying "I have a year left"

Thank You :smile: It got me through 6th form!
Reply 16
I have just started AS year and i'm finding my courses very hard, just got predicted CCB, I was getting Ds, my maths teacher is crap but i just keep thinking of what motivates me most, try to think of your ambitions, I did that and got A in the latest Further Maths assignment... although i have a HUGE distraction... need help desperately...http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=6423729#post6423729
Well I had to spend 3 years at college because I completely messed up my first year. But in my second and third year I really knuckled down. There were times when I thought "this is never gunna end". But if you just get on with it, the time really does go fast. I always found that after xmas the exams in june came around very fast.
Reply 18
afcwill
Put it this way Hannah, you have 30 weeks left (not including hols) so call it 20 weeks incl all holidays, 10 fortnights. Its those 20 weeks that can change your life forever! These 20 weeks can change the next 20 years. A levels are a big thing, hence the toughness of them. But they mean so much! Stick at it and when your down play U2 - Walk On or U2 - Kite. Those are great pick me ups! music can provide a nice escape for half an hour, try it. Put your books to one side for half an hour and just let the sounds wash over you and relax and then when you feel refreshed go back to it, make time for work but also for recreation. Also, talk to your parents about it, a problem shared is a problem solved! Good luck. Heres the relaxing vids!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgWTQzeFfb0 U2 "Walk On"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwMdO3HK_ws U2 "Kite"

Oooh thanks! That actually doesn't seem like anything at all. Thanks for the recommendation of U2, I quite like them so that's good to know.
Reply 19
A2 year was easy as pie.

Chill out.

Latest

Trending

Trending