The Student Room Group

I'm not retaking any exams but want to achieve a B overall in Psychology A-level

Hi, just wondering if anyone has managed to achieve a B/A grade overall in A-level Psychology from getting a low C (62 ums) and a D (52 ums) in AS level?

I'm not retaking my Psychology exams because I feel that it will be more worthwhile to focus on the A2 modules this year, hopefully I can still get a B, what do you think?
What exam board are you on?
In all check the overall Ums needed for an A or a B and see how much you need to achieve. Then you can decide for yourself whether it's realistic. I suspect you'll need very high A's
Reply 2
Original post by Crystalz
What exam board are you on?
In all check the overall Ums needed for an A or a B and see how much you need to achieve. Then you can decide for yourself whether it's realistic. I suspect you'll need very high A's

My exam board is AQA and its psychology A. I looked and I will need to achieve 83 ums points for both unit 3 and 4 to get 280 which is a B. An A is 80 ums, so yeah I will need to achieve high As, has this been done before? I don't know if its realistic but I am doing the best I can with revising. Do you have any tips or advice?
I don't think you can get an A because That would mean you need to get 103 ums in both A2 exams and that isn't possible because its out of 100 ums however a B is still possible if you can get around 93 ums in both exams which is hard but can be done if you got a good memory. However I would suggest retaking the exam from AS which you got a D in if you wont want to retake them both as it would make it easier to achieve the B overall.
My advice to you would be to retake your D grade module. It makes things much easier. Revise hard and it can work. Without retakes I'd be doubtful
Reply 5
Original post by haseebi82
I don't think you can get an A because That would mean you need to get 103 ums in both A2 exams and that isn't possible because its out of 100 ums however a B is still possible if you can get around 93 ums in both exams which is hard but can be done if you got a good memory. However I would suggest retaking the exam from AS which you got a D in if you wont want to retake them both as it would make it easier to achieve the B overall.

I believe it is 83 ums points that I need to get the B overall, right? Not 93 ums? I don't think I can request to retake the Unit 1 where I got a D in because the deadline has passed. :frown:
Original post by lowleaf
My exam board is AQA and its psychology A. I looked and I will need to achieve 83 ums points for both unit 3 and 4 to get 280 which is a B. An A is 80 ums, so yeah I will need to achieve high As, has this been done before? I don't know if its realistic but I am doing the best I can with revising. Do you have any tips or advice?

my mistake I thought a B was 300 ums because thats what I got overall , but its 280 UMS for a B so you need around 83 UMS in each paper, so I still suggest retaking one of your psychology exams. I got 95 UMS in the unit 3 paper and its all about being able to remember your essays but I'm retaking unit 4.
Original post by lowleaf
I believe it is 83 ums points that I need to get the B overall, right? Not 93 ums? I don't think I can request to retake the Unit 1 where I got a D in because the deadline has passed. :frown:

I don't see how your deadline could of passed because I remember my six form telling me to come in January to school to get the application to retake my exams, I hope they never told me wrong, now I'm worried I wont be entered for the exams, going to have to contact them tomorrow.
Reply 8
I don't see how your deadline could of passed because I remember my six form telling me to come in January to school to get the application to retake my exams, I hope they never told me wrong, now I'm worried I wont be entered for the exams, going to have to contact them tomorrow.

I hope that the deadline is next year but it might be different because I'm wanting to retake unit 1 which is AS and you want to retake unit 4, which is A2.
Reply 9

Just wondering how many A02/A03 points and IDAs should be included to get the highest marks? You got really high marks, so I'm guessing you implemented a good technique structuring your essays answers. :smile:

What went wrong in your PSYA4? Was it the research methods?
Original post by lowleaf
Just wondering how many A02/A03 points and IDAs should be included to get the highest marks? You got really high marks, so I'm guessing you implemented a good technique structuring your essays answers. :smile:

What went wrong in your PSYA4? Was it the research methods?

For PSYA3
1, have at least 4 A01 Paragraphs
2, Try to have between 8-6 A02 paragraphs (A03 get marked as A02)
3, Include at least 2 IDA points ( they count a lot in PSYA3 but not PSYA4)

PSYA4 I never spent much time on last time, but I have started revising it like I did PSYA3 and its going good, the research methods is good to revise from past papers according to my cousin ( she got 100 ums in both PSYA3 and PSYA4 papers)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
For PSYA3
1, have at least 4 A01 Paragraphs
2, Try to have between 8-6 A02 paragraphs (A03 get marked as A02)
3, Include at least 2 IDA points ( they count a lot in PSYA3 but not PSYA4)

PSYA4 I never spent much time on last time, but I have started revising it like I did PSYA3 and its going good, the research methods is good to revise from past papers according to my cousin ( she got 100 ums in both PSYA3 and PSYA4 papers)

How many studies/research did you include to support/criticise for A02 points?
Reply 12
Also, are the procedures important to include in the essays? Or is it enough to mention just one bit of procedure from one study? I realise I spend too much time memorizing procedures that I don't think it's really helping me get the high grades. Just not sure if I should ditch or keep them in my essays.

Quick Reply

Latest