The Student Room Group

Developing OCD at 19 years old?

Hi there. Lately I seem to be developing some kind of obsessive compulsive behaviour, which seems to be getting worse and worse each day.
It all started when I got my first car, and I'd often get out, lock the door, walk away for a bit, then walk back to double check I actually locked it.
A year later, this has developed into double checking my handbrake is on, lights are off, car is in gear, windows are up, and multiple checks that the doors are locked.
It has also expanded to other areas too, like at school, I'll log off my computer and walk away, then come back to make sure I've actually logged off correctly. At home, I'll be extremely paranoid about not setting the house alarm, or not properly locking the front door - even when I double checked it all at the time. This also happens with closing the fridge or microwave door, and now switching off things in my room before I leave.

Why is this happening? It surely cant be normal at all :frown:....

I've now checked 3-4 times that I ticked anonymous, and i'm going to check one more time before I click submit =(.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
go to a hospital immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
really strange i can relate to almost all of that! I think, but am not sure, that this originates from something really bad that has happened to us in the past as a result of not checking everything properly. I have no clue how to overcome it though, just liv with it i suppose...
that doesnt strike me as OCD behaviour. just over cautious or checking. to me, OCD is having to do something until it feels right, like entering a room until you dod it *just* right.
Reply 4
Thanks for the useful reply Alice! Rep comming your way.
Gulam, I think it actually started when I got a job as a checkout operator. I had to double check all of the cash handed in, and all of the cash I handed out, as being just £1 out at the end of a 8 hour shift would land me in the managers office. Wonder how I can get over it though..
Reply 5
Anonymous
Thanks for the useful reply Alice! Rep comming your way.
Gulam, I think it actually started when I got a job as a checkout operator. I had to double check all of the cash handed in, and all of the cash I handed out, as being just £1 out at the end of a 8 hour shift would land me in the managers office. Wonder how I can get over it though..

I think just forcing yourself to leave things after you've checked them one less time than you'd like might help. Just do it in stages, and you'll get used to it. Just stopping immediately might freak you out a bit much and cause you to carry on as much as you have been doing or possibly make it worse. Just get yourself used to leaving things without checking so much, and work from there, until you only really need to check once.
Ronove
I think just forcing yourself to leave things after you've checked them one less time than you'd like might help. Just do it in stages, and you'll get used to it. Just stopping immediately might freak you out a bit much and cause you to carry on as much as you have been doing or possibly make it worse. Just get yourself used to leaving things without checking so much, and work from there, until you only really need to check once.

I think this forcing yourself method works.

I used to check that the key to my house is working fine by turning it in the keyhole before I shut the door behind me (even though I have seen the key every day of my life and I know it works).

Recently I just forced myself to put the key straight into my pocket from the shelf, and walk out the door - no checking, or anything.

At first it was scary, but after the first few times, I realised that I was never getting locked out, so I gained the confidence to keep not checking.

This is defintely something i think you should try, OP, if you ahven't already.
Ive had the same thing for years, I have a hamster in the front room and every night I open the door to check if the hamster cage door i shut, I then do something and go back to check again (just incase checking it the first time didn't happen or I hadn't seen properly), I also keep going to the bathroom to wash my hands with water after touching anything, because I can't go to bed after touching anything that might have a virus on it ie window handle, door handle, yet the hairbrush is ok because there has only been me using it. If I go to bed straight after touching something I think its no big deal in reality, then I think to myself that I will feel better if I wash my hands again. It happens at night mainly im ok during the day.
i was going to post anon and then thought why? its nothing to be ashamed about i suffer from ocd, it started in high school on nights id set my alarm and check it ten times before i could sleep, i also check locks on doors and other things theres a list a mile long because i feel unsafe or something bad will happen if i dont like sometimes i have to do something so many times or my parents wont come back home safe. it sounds daft i know, but i jus saw my doctor who refers you to a psicholgist ( i never spell that word correctly lol) but seriousy if you see your doctor he we see you get treatement, it can be a mild form of ocd or a severe form, but its nothing that cant be sorted. its part of you hey if your like me youll never make an insurence claim for leaving a door unlocked lol all the best anyway and i hpe you sort it out :smile:
I can relate just a tiny bit to how OP feels. I used to be the same with my car I would often triple check I locked the door. I don't you suffer from OCD, but maybe an ounce of anxiety. In the end I think it's about trusting yourself and knowing that you would have locked the door or checked the peripherals etc. You could also have a little mental checklist and just take a second or two to think "right, i've done that" or even saying it aloud might be better for you. Again I don't think it's OCD although it might, in time develop into this condition.
I know someone who's 19,he's got depression and OCD. it can happen at any age.
Reply 11
Anonymous
Hi there. Lately I seem to be developing some kind of obsessive compulsive behaviour, which seems to be getting worse and worse each day.
It all started when I got my first car, and I'd often get out, lock the door, walk away for a bit, then walk back to double check I actually locked it.
A year later, this has developed into double checking my handbrake is on, lights are off, car is in gear, windows are up, and multiple checks that the doors are locked.
It has also expanded to other areas too, like at school, I'll log off my computer and walk away, then come back to make sure I've actually logged off correctly. At home, I'll be extremely paranoid about not setting the house alarm, or not properly locking the front door - even when I double checked it all at the time. This also happens with closing the fridge or microwave door, and now switching off things in my room before I leave.

Why is this happening? It surely cant be normal at all :frown:....

I've now checked 3-4 times that I ticked anonymous, and i'm going to check one more time before I click submit =(.

I am OCD about certain things aswell! For example:

1. Even when i know i have switched my straightners off i have to go back and check! It is the same with the cooker or the iron!

2. I can not leave my bedroom in the morning without making my bed! My teddy has to be sitting perfectly on my pillow and the curtains have to be in line!

3. I have to make lists of what i need to do all the time as i feel the need for order in my life! Unorganisation really upsets me. An example of this is when the house was getting decorated, items had to be placed in my room till it was finished and i just freeked! It was to messy for me i could'nt stand it even though it was'nt for that long! I cried my my eyes out! :eek:

4. I want perfection all the time!

5. I am OCD about my body and looks! I can't answer the door if i feel to ugaly!

and there is more!
Reply 12
sounds more like parnoid schzophrenia..... just use your mental powers to control yourself.
Reply 13
HeadShock
sounds more like parnoid schzophrenia..... just use your mental powers to control yourself.

In what way does it sound like paranoid schizophrenia? At all?
(S)he's just got a slight anxiety problem and/or a slight OCD. A lot of people have had these at some point or other, myself included.
Reply 14
Definitely an OCD, you need to see a counsellor.

Not even mild, mild is taking two showers a day without fail.
Reply 15
The_Bear
Definitely an OCD, you need to see a counsellor.

Not even mild, mild is taking two showers a day without fail.

A counsellor might help but I wouldn't say it is necessary. It is mild, he/she has just let it build up gradually. Now they just need to break it down again, gradually. It probably won't even be that difficult, it's just that they've let it become part of their life. It's really not anything to be particularly worried about as long as they work on reducing the power they've let the OCD develop over them. They should remember that it's them that's let it build up, so they can make it stop.
Reply 16
Perhaps, OP didnt go too much into it.
Reply 17
I'm 18 and I've had OCD for years, it used to be a lot worse than it is now- mainly an obsession with even numbers- doing things an even number of times (especially 8) and washing my hands (an even number of times of course)...freak!! What you've got doesn't sound very OCD, as it's only concerned with safety things- I think OCD (for me anyway) is generally to do with anything and everything. You could always get it checked out for peace of mind though? :smile:
Reply 18
LOL i recommend changing your name then :smile:
Reply 19
The_Bear
LOL i recommend changing your name then :smile:

Quite- I had to refrain from doing loser88888888 :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending