The Student Room Group

My English seems to be getting worse

English is my native language but recently I have been having some trouble with it. I seem to be stopping and thinking whether my sentence makes sense or not. and its really getting me down. My spelling has also been detioriating as I used to be good at spelling. Has anyone else ever had this problem before? If so, how did you overcome it? I have a feeling it might be a case of dyslexia. But I'm not quite sure. Opinions welcomed.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm just going in a downward spiral. No solution here I'm afraid. :frown:
:eek:

I know what you mean, that's what I've been experiencing lately :redface:. It affects me whilst I'm typing as well as talking :redface:, this never used to happen :frown:. Like when I type, I'm more conscious about what I'm typing. I keeping on checking if it makes sense and if it's in the right tense. However I'm my spelling is fine.
Reply 3
Tired, poor diet, stressed...? I've been finding spelling and typing harder since I've started uni, and I'm pretty sure it's just down a lack of concentration/coordination caused by more late nights than I really should be having! :redface:
^ Actually it could be that... When I started my A-levels I've started going to sleep at around 2am. Now after finishing my A-levels, I've been going to sleep at around 4am :redface:.
no i ttally knw what u mean! i'mo really srry but my key bard has gne ******* and it wn't write the letter between m and n when i want it t!!

anyway! my englihsh is gingo dwn the drain, i think it started, since i mved t england frm america, i think i didn't want t talk in the beginning because i was t shy, then when i madeo friends, i gt lazy, s i never crrected it... it really bugs me cs i knw what i want t say, and and just think wrds, nt sentances, s smetimeos when i talk t my friends the sentances dn't make sense cs the wrds are all jumbled up...

was thinkingo f jining debatingo club s make myself mre elquent, but thught it was a bit t geeky!

k this is really pissing me ff nw!!

xxxx
How about when teachers spontaneously shoot a question at you?
I am finding the same thing. I spell words incorrectly, miss out letters and substitute them for incorrect ones. I beliebe I have done it once or twice on here, even.

Probably diet/sleep related.
Also when I try explaining things orally, I keep finding my self lost for words :redface: Ah dear...
Mustard-man
Also when I try explaining things orally, I keep finding my self lost for words :redface: Ah dear...

i have to constantly ask mmum for words, i can tell her the spanish/frecnh/german equivalents but i seem to loe all my english vocab. it got that bad that my teacher made me do english lang for alevel. :frown: id be talking in class and id forget words and stuff- quite funny really :p:
wesetters
I keep forgetting words like "enrollment", which are really quite important for me at the moment :frown:

hehe carry the mini collins dictionary with you wherever you go, that helped me a lot:p: also improves your vocab
unfinished sympathy
i have to constantly ask mmum for words, i can tell her the spanish/frecnh/german equivalents but i seem to loe all my english vocab. it got that bad that my teacher made me do english lang for alevel. :frown: id be talking in class and id forget words and stuff- quite funny really :p:

:rofl: :biggrin: Sorry, it shouldn't be a laughing matter.
Mustard-man
:rofl: :biggrin: Sorry, it shouldn't be a laughing matter.

why are you :rofl: ing at me? :wink: and she did! it was like do it or youll have to be a mute in class, cos i did her head in :p:

:biggrin:
unfinished sympathy
why are you :rofl: ing at me? :wink: and she did! it was like do it or youll have to be a mute in class, cos i did her head in :p:

Well... has it helped you at all? :biggrin:
Reply 14
Read more books. I used to have that problem, especially after I did my A-Levels. However, once I started reading things, things seemed to improve. Also, when you do write, make sure you proof read. It's not a bad thing and it actually helps you learn from your own mistakes.
Mustard-man
Well... has it helped you at all? :biggrin:

urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmm, ,may..be

i suppose *looks frantically in dictionary for word* :wink:
unfinished sympathy
urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmm, ,may..be

i suppose *looks frantically in dictionary for word* :wink:

hehehe

WokSz
Read more books. I used to have that problem, especially after I did my A-Levels. However, once I started reading things, things seemed to improve. Also, when you do write, make sure you proof read. It's not a bad thing and it actually helps you learn from your own mistakes.

I read enough books at A-level! :p:
Mustard-man
hehehe

I read enough books at A-level! :p:

me too.. no more books for me :wink:

seriouslythough im reading like 10 books at once, i get bored with ne so pick the another one up... halfway through 1984, so picked up Birdsong.. then picked up Sleepers the list goes on and on
unfinished sympathy
me too.. no more books for me :wink:

seriouslythough im reading like 10 books at once, i get bored with ne so pick the another one up... halfway through 1984, so picked up Birdsong.. then picked up Sleepers the list goes on and on

heh, you're pretty crazy :p: TBH I should start reading again, before my brain gets too gungey (I'm taking a GAP year at the moment). Don't know what I'll be like next year in uni :redface:
wesetters
I only need the english words when i call home :p:...it's all in French at uni, thank god!

youve been let off the hook then :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending