The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mustard-man
heh, you're pretty crazy :p: TBH I should start reading again, before my brain gets too gungey (I'm taking a GAP year at the moment). Don't know what I'll be like next year in uni :redface:

i know i am! its a right pain though keep forgetting which storyline im on! :p:
Reply 21
Read more books. Read 'Eats shoots and leaves' by Lynn Truss or similar.
Zoecb
Read more books. Read 'Eats shoots and leaves' by Lynn Truss or similar.

or jane eyre- which is another of my reading at the mo list!
Reply 23
Anonymous
English is my native language but recently I have been having some trouble with it. I seem to be stopping and thinking whether my sentence makes sense or not. and its really getting me down. My spelling has also been detioriating as I used to be good at spelling. Has anyone else ever had this problem before? If so, how did you overcome it? I have a feeling it might be a case of dyslexia. But I'm not quite sure. Opinions welcomed.

Oh, frequently. (Not that anyone else is inclined to notice.)
wesetters
I used to be really good, both with writing and the speaking, but now I am losing words and getting the sense wrong all of the time. :frown:

It happens to me as well, especially since I've moved to Scotland. I can't find my words in French, and sometimes it gets really annoying. But I think it's because I'm focused on English just now, and I've found that what I come back to France, my French skills come back easily. And I think that's the same for you !
Reply 25
I feel similarly. I think my writing skills peaked at 16 during GCSE English. I guess that's what I get for studying maths.
Reply 26
Anonymous
English is my native language but recently I have been having some trouble with it. I seem to be stopping and thinking whether my sentence makes sense or not. and its really getting me down. My spelling has also been detioriating as I used to be good at spelling. Has anyone else ever had this problem before? If so, how did you overcome it? I have a feeling it might be a case of dyslexia. But I'm not quite sure. Opinions welcomed.

i have this problem to some extent. it was much worse previously when i got v. down.

depression can be the cause. memory suffers as a result of this.
Reply 27
It's being on the computer all the time. Instead of making us better with language 'cause we're constantly using it, we get lazy. i often find that i'm talking and i'm like, what's the word i'm looking for. very amusing when i'm talking to customers at work.
Reply 28
I think studying languages does this to you. My English is getting worse through mixing it up with other things, despite that it's supposed to be my native language. :s-smilie: The things I get wrong most often are word order, using singular for plural, 'since/ago' and remembering to use the definite article. I wonder if there's any cure...
Reply 29
I'll be talking and trying to say things like 'My mate Sarah fancies Bob Geldoff' and instead say 'My mate Sarah fancies... oh.... um... he's old....erm.... Not Jeremy Clarkson but nearly him.... no actually, not nearly Jeremy Clarkson at all, although she does fancy him... oh I know this..... the singy guy......' By which point the conversation has moved on and nobody really cared in the first place. :biggrin:
I totally understand how you are feeling. It has been happening to me A LOT lately. I think it is because I read less than I did before and I am working on improving my french so much that I am neglecting my english. I didnt realise so many people are having this problem.
Mustard-man
:eek:

I know what you mean, that's what I've been experiencing lately :redface:. It affects me whilst I'm typing as well as talking :redface:, this never used to happen :frown:. Like when I type, I'm more conscious about what I'm typing. I keeping on checking if it makes sense and if it's in the right tense. However I'm my spelling is fine.

Is it just me or?
lol=)

I'm starting to get the bad sleeping habit as well, go to bed around 1-2am avergrage and get about 5-6hrs of sleep:frown:
Yeah, that's a typical example. I didn't actually realise until you pointed that out :redface:
Hehe, I either believed you were doing it out of irony, or that it was just stupid mistakes, though I really have trouble understanding how ones ability in mother tongue can weaken :s-smilie: I never make mistakes in Swedish, though in English the mistakes are not unusual... But I guess you always can read books to keep the language on a good level.
hii SAME i have had the exact same issue as you for the past few weeks and its soo frustrating like i used to be able to spell words correctly even without knowing the words, now i cant even spell words that i used to know

Latest

Trending

Trending