The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Can you rehabilitate a rapist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olderandwiser23
(Playing devils advocate) what's to say a rapist after jail time won't seek revenge anyway, balls or no balls?

I agree which is why rehab in jail is needed but of course you can never totally eliminate the threat of rape in society.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
What was false in my statement?

It being incredibly difficult for a woman to falsely accuse a man of rape and get him prosecuted.
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
I suppose you promote dislimbing of thief's too then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not?
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
Why not?

And the downward spiral begins...

What's next?
Why not?

Because it's illiberal (in the idealogical core sense, not pololiticized) and barbaric, and doesn't aid rehabilitation. Law is for rehabilitation not revenge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bittr n swt
And the downward spiral begins...

What's next?

Why would you think there would be a downward spiral?
I guess it's the deterrent vs rehabilitation argument now.
Because it's illiberal (in the idealogical core sense, not pololiticized) and barbaric, and doesn't aid rehabilitation. Law is for rehabilitation not revenge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Law is not for rehabilitation, it is the set of rules that hold up society. I never said it was about revenge. It is about justice though.
Original post by Kill3er
It being incredibly difficult for a woman to falsely accuse a man of rape and get him prosecuted.

Real rapes are hard enough to prove in court, not to talk of one completely fabricated out of thin air.

I stand by my point.
Why would you think there would be a downward spiral?

Because society as we know it will cease to exist. It's just not right and certainly not the best solution.
Original post by Viridiana
I'm not really sharing my personal opinion. I just want to start a discussion and see some arguments for and against, be the matter controversial.

If we can throw a rapist to jail for 10 years and have him go out with the same desires he used to have to rape some more people,
hypothetically wouldn't it be better to unable him to commit this crime more times and not have him disappear from the society, just his crime?

You can't mind police. A murderer, a con-artist can leave prison and ostensibly have had a panacea to their societally viewed ill-inclinations. Then 20 years later do it. Likewise upstanding citizens can randomly murder or thieve. Either you accept the modus operandi of jail as rehabilitation and facilitate the convicts rehabilitation after they leave with opportunity to recant and produce in society, or you merely give paucity for greater impetus to act in malign way. Or you live in a society where revenge is the ethos of jurisprudence, but I can't personally bear such anti-intellectual barbarism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because society as we know it will cease to exist. It's just not right and certainly not the best solution.

That's quite an incredible thing to say - that society will cease to exist. I can give examples of societies that haven't ceased to exist with punishments like this. Can you give any example?

Again, 'it's just not right' doesn't cut it. Just because you feel that way doesn't make it so.
Law is not for rehabilitation, it is the set of rules that hold up society. I never said it was about revenge. It is about justice though.

Yes it is. You've clearly never read about formative concepts of law. It's very clearly about rehabilitation. No state wants to just kill its resource.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes it is. You've clearly never read about formative concepts of law. It's very clearly about rehabilitation. No state wants to just kill its resource.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, perhaps I should say 'just' - it's not just about rehabilitation. It feels to me like people on here are arguing as if the rehabilitation aspect is the most important, more important than ensuring justice for the victims.
Well, perhaps I should say 'just' - it's not just about rehabilitation. It feels to me like people on here are arguing as if the rehabilitation aspect is the most important, more important than ensuring justice for the victims.

Justice is not a binary of for one and not another. Justice is served for the criminal also, observing the catalysts for their actions up to the crime. So yes, that inofitself is rehabilitative. You have a very ahistorical view of what law is. It's precisely meant for rehabilitation of members of a states society.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whilst justice is a desired thing, I think we need to put the safety of the public first.
The rapist will be released from jail eventually and the public will be at risk.
Short term vs long term justice
Original post by Kill3er
Kill them = No more threat

Great plan, what do you do when it turns out they were falsely accused and the victim just made it up?
Justice is not a binary of for one and not another. Justice is served for the criminal also, observing the catalysts for their actions up to the crime. So yes, that inofitself is rehabilitative. You have a very ahistorical view of what law is. It's precisely meant for rehabilitation of members of a states society.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't have an 'ahistorical' view of what law is. The primary purpose of law is to defend citizens. Now one could argue that rehabilitation is a part of this (and I agree), but to say it's 'precisely meant for rehabilitation of members of a states society' just misses the point.

Whilst justice is a desired thing, I think we need to put the safety of the public first.
The rapist will be released from jail eventually and the public will be at risk.
Short term vs long term justice

I agree, we need to put the safety of the public first. And what is safer than the legal execution of some of our most dangerous criminals?
Original post by jenkinsear
Great plan, what do you do when it turns out they were falsely accused and the victim just made it up?

Kill the judge that sentenced them.
I don't have an 'ahistorical' view of what law is. The primary purpose of law is to defend citizens. Now one could argue that rehabilitation is a part of this (and I agree), but to say it's 'precisely meant for rehabilitation of members of a states society' just misses the point.

I agree, we need to put the safety of the public first. And what is safer than the legal execution of some of our most dangerous criminals?

I'm afraid you do. Ahistorical; lacking contextualisation of the genesis of why law dictates and operates structurally as it does. The fact is that historically, jurisprudence is soley for the rehabilitation of a states greatest contribution and multiplier. People.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending