The Student Room Group

Support worker interview advise please!

I am going to an interview for a support worker row working with people who are disabled ,can you please give me advise on questions or tips they might ask me
Original post by ifmtg
I am going to an interview for a support worker row working with people who are disabled ,can you please give me advise on questions or tips they might ask me

Hi I currently work as a support worker with adults with disabilities so I can tell you about my experience at the interview stage. I did not have a lot of experience as I had just finished college doing a slightly different subject area which was childcare. In the interview they asked me what I thought I would bring to the company and I said something like enthusiasm, interest and passion for making the people I supports lives better so that they can get what they want out of their life. I also emphasised that I am willing to learn about the health care sector and undertake training courses and diplomas in order to be the best support worker that I can be. If you are then asked to look around I would be enthusiastic and interact with the people being supported.
I have worked in this role in a residential setting for a year and a half now and I am still learning and I think that is important, for example I have almost finished a Health and Social Level 3 diploma and I am due to start my distance learning degree in 2015.
If you have any more questions about the interview process and support worker careers then let me know and I will try and answer them :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by cheesymeat
Hi I currently work as a support worker with adults with disabilities so I can tell you about my experience at the interview stage. I did not have a lot of experience as I had just finished college doing a slightly different subject area which was childcare. In the interview they asked me what I thought I would bring to the company and I said something like enthusiasm, interest and passion for making the people I supports lives better so that they can get what they want out of their life. I also emphasised that I am willing to learn about the health care sector and undertake training courses and diplomas in order to be the best support worker that I can be. If you are then asked to look around I would be enthusiastic and interact with the people being supported.
I have worked in this role in a residential setting for a year and a half now and I am still learning and I think that is important, for example I have almost finished a Health and Social Level 3 diploma and I am due to start my distance learning degree in 2015.
If you have any more questions about the interview process and support worker careers then let me know and I will try and answer them :smile:

Hi thank you for finding the time to find this thread and helping,would you mind telling where you are working,your age,i have never worked in care related field so i am just asking people like you with experience ,how long was the interview,what other questions did they ask you? .

is it fun the job or it can get demand?

thanks
Original post by ifmtg
Hi thank you for finding the time to find this thread and helping,would you mind telling where you are working,your age,i have never worked in care related field so i am just asking people like you with experience ,how long was the interview,what other questions did they ask you? .

is it fun the job or it can get demand?

thanks

Its ok dont worry, so I work in Jarrow, near Newcastle and I am 21 but I was 20 when I went for the interview. I think the interview was about half an hour and they asked me questions like what would I do in a certain situation like if I was supporting someone who needed first aid or other skills. don't worry about that because any skills like that the training they will provide you with like first aid training- e-learning and Safeguarding. I had to do quite a lot of training which is a good thing so that you have a good grounding of the theory but its content will all depend on the needs of the people you will be supporting. They may ask you about any ideas you have about the organisation such as activities and skills and this can be fun as you can use your strengths and imagination to come up with different activities. They will use what you have mentioned on the application form as the basis for these questions so don't worry. Also you will get time in the setting shadowing which means you are observing and helping after your DBS check comes back when you are not counted in the number of staff for at least a week or 2 after you start working so that you can get a hang for the needs of the people and how the setting works. Good luck with your interview, it is a great, rewarding role to work in and I totally recommend it. Don't forget to ask me anything if you feel you need to. hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Its ok dont worry, so I work in Jarrow, near Newcastle and I am 21 but I was 20 when I went for the interview. I think the interview was about half an hour and they asked me questions like what would I do in a certain situation like if I was supporting someone who needed first aid or other skills. don't worry about that because any skills like that the training they will provide you with like first aid training- e-learning and Safeguarding. I had to do quite a lot of training which is a good thing so that you have a good grounding of the theory but its content will all depend on the needs of the people you will be supporting. They may ask you about any ideas you have about the organisation such as activities and skills and this can be fun as you can use your strengths and imagination to come up with different activities. They will use what you have mentioned on the application form as the basis for these questions so don't worry. Also you will get time in the setting shadowing which means you are observing and helping after your DBS check comes back when you are not counted in the number of staff for at least a week or 2 after you start working so that you can get a hang for the needs of the people and how the setting works. Good luck with your interview, it is a great, rewarding role to work in and I totally recommend it. Don't forget to ask me anything if you feel you need to. hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much ,how long did your crb take to come,still waiting for mine
Original post by ifmtg
Thank you so much ,how long did your crb take to come,still waiting for mine

Hi it took about a month which was a pain but that was in july/ august so it was a busy time of year due to schools starting soon and it will vary- i am guessing december/ january will be quite quiet! Dont worry about it, good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Hi it took about a month which was a pain but that was in july/ august so it was a busy time of year due to schools starting soon and it will vary- i am guessing december/ january will be quite quiet! Dont worry about it, good luck :smile:

i hope it comes back quicker ,need to start working haahah!
Reply 7
Hey I got the job,thanks for the advise
Reply 8
congratulations on getting the job :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending