The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Offers at Goldsmiths for Popular Music

Hi I was wondering what kind of offers Goldsmiths would make for the Popular Music course. It says that the requirements (for IB) is at higher level subjects, 6,6,5. But is this the same as what they would offer me? I have already applied to Goldsmiths and just wondering if the entry requirement is what I should expect as an offer.

Thanks,

Elias
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
Hey,
The Goldsmiths Pop course tend to get around 1000 applicants with 200 people auditioned over 4 months and only 40-50 places given out. If you want to get an audition you need to really make your personal statement stand out- basically you need to have plenty of experience as a musician for them to consider auditioning you. They care more about how talented and committed you are to music than your grades from college.

In response to your question, I don't know anything about IB grades but as long as you're not failing they won't suddenly knock you off the list because of your grade. Also they only give unconditional offers to those who already have their grades, and people currently still studying for a-levels or BTEC etc will get a conditional offer if they pass the audition stage.

It's pretty scary but stick in there, if you really wanna study Pop Music then Goldsmiths is the place to do it!
Reply 3
Original post by CarolineClarke
Hey,
The Goldsmiths Pop course tend to get around 1000 applicants with 200 people auditioned over 4 months and only 40-50 places given out. If you want to get an audition you need to really make your personal statement stand out- basically you need to have plenty of experience as a musician for them to consider auditioning you. They care more about how talented and committed you are to music than your grades from college.

In response to your question, I don't know anything about IB grades but as long as you're not failing they won't suddenly knock you off the list because of your grade. Also they only give unconditional offers to those who already have their grades, and people currently still studying for a-levels or BTEC etc will get a conditional offer if they pass the audition stage.

It's pretty scary but stick in there, if you really wanna study Pop Music then Goldsmiths is the place to do it!

Thanks for the info! Wow i had no idea just how competitive it is! I applied for the course on the 21st of December but im now really nervous! :eek:
Don't be nervous :smile: You'll be fine! I was absolutely terrified for my audition because I was up against hundreds of people from prestige colleges like the Brit school and I'd just come from nowhere, but I still somehow managed to get in. Just make sure you're prepared and be ready for any questions that'll be fired at you- there'll be some weird ones- but mostly just be yourself :smile:
Hope to see you in Goldsmiths next year!
Reply 5
Hello! good luck with your application and I hope all goes well! I've also applied for this course/auditioned and was just wondering if anyone has received an offer to start this year? Sorry if this strays a bit from your question haha, but best of luck!!
Original post by CarolineClarke
Don't be nervous :smile: You'll be fine! I was absolutely terrified for my audition because I was up against hundreds of people from prestige colleges like the Brit school and I'd just come from nowhere, but I still somehow managed to get in. Just make sure you're prepared and be ready for any questions that'll be fired at you- there'll be some weird ones- but mostly just be yourself :smile:
Hope to see you in Goldsmiths next year!

Fancy giving us some tips on what questions they might throw our way? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by shu003
Hello! good luck with your application and I hope all goes well! I've also applied for this course/auditioned and was just wondering if anyone has received an offer to start this year? Sorry if this strays a bit from your question haha, but best of luck!!

Thank you! :smile: and if you dont mind me asking, when did you apply for Goldsmiths? and also when were you auditioned?

Reply 8
Original post by EliasDani
Thank you! :smile: and if you dont mind me asking, when did you apply for Goldsmiths? and also when were you auditioned?

No problem :smile: I sent my UCAS off on November 3rd and was called up for an applicant day on December 3rd :smile: How about you? Have you heard anything back yet?

If you get called up for an applicant day feel free to send me a private message and I'll be happy to talk you through what to expect beforehand :smile: It's a pretty laid back/fun day though!
Reply 9
Original post by shu003
No problem :smile: I sent my UCAS off on November 3rd and was called up for an applicant day on December 3rd :smile: How about you? Have you heard anything back yet?

If you get called up for an applicant day feel free to send me a private message and I'll be happy to talk you through what to expect beforehand :smile: It's a pretty laid back/fun day though!

Ah right cool
I applied on the 21st of December but haven't heard back yet
So what exactly is an applicant day?
Also I live in Dubai so I'm sort of confused as to how the audition would work
Reply 10
Original post by EliasDani
Ah right cool
I applied on the 21st of December but haven't heard back yet
So what exactly is an applicant day?
Also I live in Dubai so I'm sort of confused as to how the audition would work

Basically you go to the Uni, meet the lecturers, do a group workshop with other applicants and then have an interview. However, since you're in Dubai you'd be required to send them a portfolio of your work (recordings/scores or whatever) and they'll give you an interview over skype :smile: Hopefully you'll hear back soon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending