The Student Room Group

Help on simplifying algebraic questions

I didn't really understand how to solve this question can someone please help me and tell me how to solve it, thanks.

Question is in the image:
Attachment not found
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chittesh14
I didn't really understand how to solve this question can someone please help me and tell me how to solve it, thanks.

Question is in the image:
Attachment not found

I don't get an attachment from that - "invalid attachment specified". Could you try again?
Reply 2
Original post by Smaug123
I don't get an attachment from that - "invalid attachment specified". Could you try again?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419379756.468720.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

First you want to collect all like terms on the numerator and once you have done that, you will need to remember the rules of indices.

an / ab= a(n-b)
Reply 4

What are we solving exactly? It's just an expression, what is it equal to? What are we finding?
Original post by Phichi
What are we solving exactly? It's just an expression, what is it equal to? What are we finding?

Just simplifying it.
You have a fraction, where the two parts in the numerator are being divided by a common denominator :

(A+B)/C = A/C + B/C

Then it's just a case of using laws of indices to simplify both parts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thanks everyone for your help, I knew how to do it, was just missing 1 part of factorising them (the like terms), was getting everything right, but was factorising them wrong. That's why when I cancel them out, I always get a different answer.
Thanks for your help guys :smile: - really helps, probably the topic I struggle on the most at the moment, however you guys made it look so much easier :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest