The Student Room Group

how long until stretch marks fade?

See pic for some bad stretch marks I've got going on at the inside of left bicep. The bright red ones at the bottom are relatively new and are gradually getting bigger (pic is taken from roughly above). The extensive lattice-like patterns of pinkish ones above have been there for months. Pic doesn't really do it justice, the lighting makes it difficult to see - they are actually quite a lot worse than that in person. From what I've read online, they are scars and won't disappear, but I understand they will fade from red to white over time. How long does this take? A friend told me to start tanning to get speed up the process but no way am I doing that. I've lost count of the number of times people have asked me if I've been scratched by my cat over the last few months lol

Reply 1
Piece of string question really.

The sun did help mine though don't know if fake tans do the same. I have to go looking for them to find them now.
Probably never, and they don't look that big either.
Reply 3
Mine took around a year to fade (I have some under my arms from weight lifting). Using a Derma roller 2-3 times a week plus coco butter cream helped.
Palmer's do a coconut butter specifically for stretch marks - miracle product, highly recommended. Sold in Boots and the usual high street stores.
Reply 5
Can't really answer the exact time period, but I hear that bio oil helps get rid of stretch marks and marks
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
Probably never, and they don't look that big either.

They're pretty conspicuous I assure you, it was just near impossible to pick them out properly with the camera. There are several that run for over 5 inches.
Reply 7
Original post by Revebjelle
Palmer's do a coconut butter specifically for stretch marks - miracle product, highly recommended. Sold in Boots and the usual high street stores.

Thanks, worth a try I guess. I'll look out for it next time I pass Boots.
Reply 8
I asked a plastic surgeon about bio oil and all that with regards to regular scars. He told me I could use motor oil for all the difference it makes, it's massaging scars that can make a difference
My stretch marks have faded over the years, the were initially very raw, around my biceps and under arm due to short time frame massive increase in size, but after about 3 years settled. Still there though, will never go fully
(edited 9 years ago)
There aren't really any products that actually help with stretch marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They just fade over time but your skin will always look weird unless you create so much muscle that it stops the skin being a little baggy.
Stretch marks are basically scar tissue so they probably won't fade much.
Look into getting the derma roller at 1mm, make sure you find out how to clean it and to use moisturizer straight away after use. That should get rid of them hopefully!

Quick Reply