The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neal95
Probably about 25 if you are a girl and want to settle down relatively early

You're clearly indian haha with a backwards mentality like that
Original post by ArabianPhoenix
You're clearly indian haha with a backwards mentality like that

Yeah I am Indian and yeah that is why I have the backwards mentality no doubt. It isn't my fault things are the way they are and that's just me giving my opinion. It could be the reason for my answer, it may not be the reason for my answer. The Indian mentality is that once a woman starts reaching a certain age she is "put on the shelf" so to speak. That isn't me being misogynistic, it's me being a realist about what occurs. That age is often around 30. Now, if they applied to study medicine at that age, they would be pushing 35 upon graduation, which doesn't include placements etc post university. When are they going to marry then? Therefore, the age I believe is to old for a woman to apply for medicine SHOULD THEY WIH TO SETTLE DOWN RELATIVELY EARLY is 25
Original post by neal95
Yeah I am Indian and yeah that is why I have the backwards mentality no doubt. It isn't my fault things are the way they are and that's just me giving my opinion. It could be the reason for my answer, it may not be the reason for my answer. The Indian mentality is that once a woman starts reaching a certain age she is "put on the shelf" so to speak. That isn't me being misogynistic, it's me being a realist about what occurs. That age is often around 30. Now, if they applied to study medicine at that age, they would be pushing 35 upon graduation, which doesn't include placements etc post university. When are they going to marry then? Therefore, the age I believe is to old for a woman to apply for medicine SHOULD THEY WIH TO SETTLE DOWN RELATIVELY EARLY is 25

You're answer only applies to indian women then, marriage isn't the most important thing in life, nor is procreating.
Original post by ArabianPhoenix
You're answer only applies to indian women then, marriage isn't the most important thing in life, nor is procreating.

Did I say it didn't apply only to Indian women. Inference should be used sparingly, but yes I agree, it isn't the most important thing in life
Original post by neal95
Did I say it didn't apply only to Indian women. Inference should be used sparingly, but yes I agree, it isn't the most important thing in life

You can get married during med school regardless, you just need a spouse who would support you through the years.
Never too old, I had always thought I must be a doctor by age 25 or at least 30. But nowadays I'm perfectly happy if it takes until my 30s or 40s. It's rather artificial to have a set age or to feel you are a failure if you don't achieve a medical degree by a certain age.
Original post by whysettle
Hello. I'm an outsider. Can someone tell me the average age of a CT3 in the UK? Thanks.

Not sure exactly, but I'd expect it to be in the 28-30 region
I started at 25, and have a few friends who were around 35 when they started. Lots of people study Medicine as a second degree so at 21 or 22 most people probably won't even realise you're a little bit older. :smile: Also, please ignore the guy who thinks that women over 25 are too old to start a medical degree; he has no idea what he's talking about. :erm:
36? arent you 19...
Original post by SophieSmall
It's not so much that the universities will consider you too old past that point (as many people have pointed there are people up to their 40's studying medicine.) It is more to do with when it become to old for you personally. It will be different for everyone.

For example I was considering doing post graduate medicine but I realised I would be 36 by the time I had fully complete all my training and my career would be seriously starting and I decided that was just a bit too late for me. I'm not even sure if I want to have children but I at least want the option and Medicine is not so much a job as it is a lifestyle. Although career wise I would be most happy in Medicine my life outside of medicine would be the least fulfilled at that age. This however was just my decision, it is different for everyone.

damm haha 36 and fully qualified arent you 19?
Reply 30
Original post by trustmeimlying1
damm haha 36 and fully qualified arent you 19?

I think she's including completed specialty training - though obviously it's rather misleading to describe the point of having finished specialty training as when one's career as a doctor is 'seriously starting'...
Original post by tonystark
I am 21 years old, and recently applied to medicine - I already have a degree. I am not sure about my chances this year- due to my UKCAT. It's my passion, and I don't wish to concede so soon - I've made a plan to apply for medicine up till the age 24 - would I be considered too old then?

I've applied for graduate jobs - to make sure I am financially stable.

There are at least three people in my year group who are in their 30s, so have no fear!

Best of luck my friend! (y)
Reply 33
I start in September on the 5 year course (only option as need to stay in Scotland) and I will be 31,so 36 when I graduate.Yes,I will be older than your average graduating student doc but I will still have at least 25 years to work and would rather be doing a job I love than just a job I like!Uni's are not allowed to use age as a determining factor as this is age discrimination.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Lpo
I start in September on the 5 year course (only option as need to stay in Scotland) and I will be 31,so 36 when I graduate.Yes,I will be older than your average graduating student doc but I will still have at least 25 years to work and would rather be doing a job I love than just a job I like!Uni's are not allowed to use age as a determining factor as this is age discrimination.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some admissions tutors have admitted they consider age, but in the context of how many years you'll be of service to the NHS. They also highlighted that they've had students up to the age of 50 and indeed a couple have noted a few students in their 50s. I think as long as you can get through the foundation programme before you retire, you're alright :wink:
I'm 30 in April. I'm starting an Access to HE course in Sept 15 with a view to starting medical school in 2016 admission. So... I'm you're too old, I'm at my last prayers!

Not looking forward to doing 14 hour shifts in A&E during training, but other than that, surely our wider life experience gives us an edge?

PGxx
I'm looking at a GP career at the age of 48. I've had my children, I've had a world of human experience and have the qualifications to enter. Please do not misjudge those who are older. Once you've witnessed 'back door' euthanasia and all of the problems ordinary people have to cope with, me included with Cancer, your perspective on the human life changes. If there is more to be done to help people then I want to know through learning from what is available in the world. Our only limit is what the NHS will fund. God bless the NHS for whom I would not be around now. Despite age, we all learn something to the benefit of human kind.

Latest

Trending

Trending