The Student Room Group

Ucas reference for 2nd year transfer

Well, I've started the process for a possible 2nd year transfer to another Uni. I've sent emails to a couple of potential Uni's and received positive responses as I meet the requirements for a 2nd year transfer.

There's just one issue - the reference. I was always hoping that I could get a reference from my old Economics teacher who I'm on great terms with and knows all about me. I have a personal tutor at my current institution but I haven't been really completely open with him about the whole transferring thing...

The deadline for me is the 15th of Jan. He's seems like a very reasonable man but I'm not sure he would be happy or too enthusiastic about writing a reference for me after I've barely told him anything and just pretending that I'm fine at my current Uni.

It's inevitable that I'll have to have meeting with him after the Christmas break, any ideas on how I should approach this ?
Original post by Koolio
Well, I've started the process for a possible 2nd year transfer to another Uni. I've sent emails to a couple of potential Uni's and received positive responses as I meet the requirements for a 2nd year transfer.

There's just one issue - the reference. I was always hoping that I could get a reference from my old Economics teacher who I'm on great terms with and knows all about me. I have a personal tutor at my current institution but I haven't been really completely open with him about the whole transferring thing...

The deadline for me is the 15th of Jan. He's seems like a very reasonable man but I'm not sure he would be happy or too enthusiastic about writing a reference for me after I've barely told him anything and just pretending that I'm fine at my current Uni.

It's inevitable that I'll have to have meeting with him after the Christmas break, any ideas on how I should approach this ?

call or contact him anyway him and first apologise for the inconvenience ur call caused him in winter break and then talk about the urgent nature of the matter and tell hi that he is the only one who could help me in this time! and u will be really grateful if he helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Koolio

It is likely that the unis considering your application to transfer will expect a reference from your current institution. So, however difficult, you need to have an honest conversation with your personal tutor at uni, and you need to do it very quickly if you have been set a deadline of 15 January. You might want to check with the unis you are applying to whether this deadline does in fact apply for a transfer into Year 2 - it may not.
Reply 3
Original post by Minerva
It is likely that the unis considering your application to transfer will expect a reference from your current institution. So, however difficult, you need to have an honest conversation with your personal tutor at uni, and you need to do it very quickly if you have been set a deadline of 15 January. You might want to check with the unis you are applying to whether this deadline does in fact apply for a transfer into Year 2 - it may not.

Hi thanks for the reply. I spoke to my tutor today and fortunately he is said he is happy to write one for me. (Also I sort of reduced the burden for him by managing to get a hold of my Sixth Form reference which I hope he will supplement with how I've developed at Uni!)

I just have another enquiry (seems like you are TSR UCAS & Applications deity:colondollar:) - is it standard procedure to re-use your old personal statement? I mean not like completely recycle it but just use the main body and supplement it with how I am performing and developed at Uni. I think I can write alot of good stuff about I've bridged the gap between A-Level and Uni (My essay results so far a very very good).

Also I imagine that I should not write anything about why I want to transfer unless they ask me in an interview?
Reply 4
Original post by Koolio
Hi thanks for the reply. I spoke to my tutor today and fortunately he is said he is happy to write one for me. (Also I sort of reduced the burden for him by managing to get a hold of my Sixth Form reference which I hope he will supplement with how I've developed at Uni!)

I just have another enquiry (seems like you are TSR UCAS & Applications deity:colondollar:) - is it standard procedure to re-use your old personal statement? I mean not like completely recycle it but just use the main body and supplement it with how I am performing and developed at Uni. I think I can write alot of good stuff about I've bridged the gap between A-Level and Uni (My essay results so far a very very good).

Also I imagine that I should not write anything about why I want to transfer unless they ask me in an interview?
You can recycle any parts of your original PS you like, but it is important to make sure that you have covered the new ground well, as you have indicated.

As for why you want to transfer - depends what your reasons are. If it's for the night life :smile:, or some other personal reason, that wouldn't go in the PS. But, if the new course offers the opportunity to study topics you are particularly interested in, that your current course doesn't, it's worth a quick mention. Academic reasons for transferring are always encouraging.... but on the other hand you definitely do not want to give the impression that it's the prestige factor that is motivating you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending