The Student Room Group

Any fellow PhD Mathematics students

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Slowbro93

That sounds like a bliss :coma: avoided as much pure as possible during my final year (although I ended up taking Fourier and Complex)

Relativity did get quite pretty towards the end of the course though :love:

if you require papers I started collecting UCL Papers for all maths and maths related courses, going back between 12 and 15 years now. (all in electronic form but no solutions).

I started revisiting my degree this year (semi retired now and fully retired from the next academic year) so I will be writing solutions for most of the applied courses.)
I doubt if it will be of any use to you now as at the moment I am doing mathematical methods 2 (simple vector calculus) and methods 3 (PDEs)
This thread oozes intelligence . . . :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
if you require papers I started collecting UCL Papers for all maths and maths related courses, going back between 12 and 15 years now. (all in electronic form but no solutions).

I started revisiting my degree this year (semi retired now and fully retired from the next academic year) so I will be writing solutions for most of the applied courses.)
I doubt if it will be of any use to you now as at the moment I am doing mathematical methods 2 (simple vector calculus) and methods 3 (PDEs)

I have a cousin who studies mathematics at ucl. Some of these papers and solutions may be of interest he is currently in 2nd year. He's taking fluid mechanics, analytical dynamics as applied courses. Would be much appreciated !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
This thread oozes intelligence . . . :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

😎

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not quite a PhD Maths student yet, or possibly at all, but i'm considering it more for the complete lack of not knowing what to do after I graduate from my undergrad :colondollar:

How are you guys finding the workload so far? Did you find the transition to PhD simple or has it taken time? I'm not sure whether to do a masters first :confused:
Reply 25
Original post by MathsLover28
I have a cousin who studies mathematics at ucl. Some of these papers and solutions may be of interest he is currently in 2nd year. He's taking fluid mechanics, analytical dynamics as applied courses. Would be much appreciated !

Posted from TSR Mobile

fluids is probably still taught by Ted Johnson (an Aussie)
if it is the case (fluids second term first year) the guy writes no new questions if you do enough past papers you would have seen every single question in his exam.

he taught me geophysical fluids in Year 3 (same pattern there if he does. I have all these papers going back 15 years (most in electronic form)

analytical dynamics has changed lectures I am sure but I also have these papers.
Ask him to get in touch and I will e-mail
Reply 26

count me out ... :frown:
Reply 27
Original post by redrose_ftw
Not quite a PhD Maths student yet, or possibly at all, but i'm considering it more for the complete lack of not knowing what to do after I graduate from my undergrad :colondollar:

How are you guys finding the workload so far? Did you find the transition to PhD simple or has it taken time? I'm not sure whether to do a masters first :confused:

I would do a masters.
less commitment and will also prepare you as there is usually a small research project involved.
Original post by redrose_ftw

I think if you have the opportunity to do a master's course, I would do it. You'll obviously learn more and get used to writing in an academic way. I couldn't afford to do one, but would have given the choice.
I agree with the posters above. The dissertation I done in my masters probably aided me the most in taking the decision to do a phD. The dissertation although minuscule in comparison to a pHD gets you prepped for writing research particularly mathematical based research quite articulately.

Wish the translation was easy. The blimin proposal is half the headache !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
fluids is probably still taught by Ted Johnson (an Aussie)
if it is the case (fluids second term first year) the guy writes no new questions if you do enough past papers you would have seen every single question in his exam.

he taught me geophysical fluids in Year 3 (same pattern there if he does. I have all these papers going back 15 years (most in electronic form)

analytical dynamics has changed lectures I am sure but I also have these papers.
Ask him to get in touch and I will e-mail

Cheers.. will definitely ask him to get in touch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I should say my pHD is more statistical based rather than mathematical. But I love to be associated with the maths more .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great to see a fellow maths PhD student taking some social initiative, for once!

I'm a first year PhD student at the University of Sussex, and my thesis (once I get around to starting it) will be on statistical solutions of Navier-Stokes equations (governing equations in fluid mechanics), i.e. vaguely speaking, solutions to the Navier-Stokes equations which are dependent on some probability measure. My project will involve studying a lot of analysis of PDEs which is quite new to me (as I didn't come from a particularly analysis-orientated background, even though I did quite a bit of fluids) - in particular, Sobolev spaces.

There's a lot of analytical study of these equations because they are horribly nonlinear, and there are quite a few analytical properties of them which we don't know so much about - however, for simpler PDEs it is possible to use energy methods to prove uniqueness, existence of solutions etc.

For those who are in their first year of their maths PhD, what sorts of general challenges are you finding so far?
Original post by omegaSQU4RED
Great to see a fellow maths PhD student taking some social initiative, for once!

I'm a first year PhD student at the University of Sussex, and my thesis (once I get around to starting it) will be on statistical solutions of Navier-Stokes equations (governing equations in fluid mechanics), i.e. vaguely speaking, solutions to the Navier-Stokes equations which are dependent on some probability measure. My project will involve studying a lot of analysis of PDEs which is quite new to me (as I didn't come from a particularly analysis-orientated background, even though I did quite a bit of fluids) - in particular, Sobolev spaces.

There's a lot of analytical study of these equations because they are horribly nonlinear, and there are quite a few analytical properties of them which we don't know so much about - however, for simpler PDEs it is possible to use energy methods to prove uniqueness, existence of solutions etc.

For those who are in their first year of their maths PhD, what sorts of general challenges are you finding so far?

Some snooping on your page, but I saw you mentioned the Leeds CDT in fluids. Did you apply there?
Original post by Slowbro93
Some snooping on your page, but I saw you mentioned the Leeds CDT in fluids. Did you apply there?

I was thinking of applying for it at the time, but I decided that Leeds would be a bit too far away for me, and I was a tad worried that the CDT at Leeds would be much more general and interdisciplinary than what I was after in the end. I was more after something theoretical/mathematical, whereas the CDT appeared to be much more interdisciplinary and appealing towards physicists and engineers (not necessarily a bad thing, but not what I was after). That said, if you love numerics, approximating solutions to PDEs and how fluid waves are generated, convection currents etc., then you'd probably love the CDT (in fact, my undergrad university, Exeter, has quite a few different maths courses in this area which would really help with something like this). Rather than finding solutions to a PDE and using numerics to approximate it, my work would be along the lines of proving that solutions exist etc.

I did also apply to the CDT at Oxford in Partial Differential Equations, but my interview went rather badly, as I wasn't able to take a lot of analysis courses at Exeter and I was pretty poorly prepared. That said, one of the interviewers seemed quite unforgiving (and almost pissed off at me during the interview) so it begs the question if I dodged a bullet by not going there, if that was the calibre of people I would have to be working with...
I'm only a second year (of the four year MMath) but I'm interested in further study after my degree.
[This is me subbing to this thread :smile:]

That sounds like a really interesting project!

I'm finding the amount of reading quite tough at the moment. Because I'm quite new to some of the topics, I'm having to do a huge amount of reading but no practical work actually trying out what I've learned and want to try. It's also a challenge looking for my originality as it's quite a well researched area, but I've found a couple of holes I want to exploit.

You?

Encompassing probability theory into solving practical equations must be difficult ?
Will you be comparing a range of solution methods. Perturbation techniques work quite well for non linear equations or p.d.e but I'm quite unfamiliar with any aspect of fluid mechanics so wouldn't be able to comment on the effectiveness of something like perturbation methods.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm only a few months in. It's usually the reading that I have to get through, but I'm content with it as I always feel I don't have enough knowledge so it gets me through.

Other than that, the social life has virtually non existent, I only thing I now consider social is visiting my parents every now and then and that's about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
I did also apply to the CDT at Oxford in Partial Differential Equations, but my interview went rather badly, as I wasn't able to take a lot of analysis courses at Exeter and I was pretty poorly prepared. That said, one of the interviewers seemed quite unforgiving (and almost pissed off at me during the interview) so it begs the question if I dodged a bullet by not going there, if that was the calibre of people I would have to be working with...

What analysis were you being quizzed on that resulted in you thinking one of the interviewers was getting pissed off?

Quick Reply

Latest