The Student Room Group

Year two - electives

Hey guys,

Although I have already chosen my 2 electives for the LLB II course, i'm starting to have some doubts as to whether I have chosen wisely. The electives were Public International Law, Consumer Law, Human Rights, Law and Society, Employment law and Immigration.

I chose Law and society and Employment law.

I am still uncertain whether i want to or will be good enough to pursue a career in Law i.e. solicitor or barrister and wouldn't mind going into something law based with aspects of humanity/ social sciences interests. I'm wondering whether i should have chosen Human Rights instead of employment law. Was wondering what are the prospective employments that will require knowledge of Human Rights law and Employment law. Basically where can each subject take you?

What did you chose and why?

TIA
Many will tell you that ur undergrad modules don't actually count toward your career if you plan to work in law ... but if you are working outside law your knowledge of HR specifically could be crucial to work in that field... I have no real idea about the jobs for each, sorry.
Reply 2
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Many will tell you that ur undergrad modules don't actually count toward your career if you plan to work in law ... but if you are working outside law your knowledge of HR specifically could be crucial to work in that field... I have no real idea about the jobs for each, sorry.

Thanks for that... I wasn't aware of the bolded
Reply 3
Human rights knowledge will be more useful to you than employment law if you want to work in a social science field.
Reply 4
I think that both will be of use to you. So you should do the one you want to do most... dont do one you hate
Bottom line: do the one that you think that you will enjoy the most and think that you will do the best in.
If there isn't a module that fits both of these criteria then you have to decide which is more important: doing something you will like or doing something that you will be good at.
I would always go for the latter because most of my pleasure comes in doing well in the subject and that is what I like.

Edit- there we have it: the superdillon two-step test of choosing your 2nd year LLB electives.
I would have thought it's the method most ppl use, I don't think anyone is stupid enough to pick on the basis of what they don't like and will do badly on!

I tend to your view ... I tend to enjoy what im good at too.

Latest

Trending

Trending