The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History - Germany 1900-45 - Monday 8th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anomea
Its a belief that "states are obliged to compete for survival in anarchic world", and that all Great Powers practiced a pursuit of self interest in foreign policy. which included making alliances + building up a army to ensure security. The Great Powers believed it would create a balance of power. But it led to war + so all countries should be equally blamed for WW1 as through realpolitik they created climate of suspicion and fear. Sort of like a faulty philosophy that all countries had, they thought by doing all these things war would be less likely :smile:

That's part of David Lloyd's 'slithered into war' idea I assume? :wink:

I mean, it seems like it fits with his idea at the very least.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bunny2014
Hello :smile:

This is so useful!! thanks!
However, where are the answers?? x

Hi :smile: at the side of the site (right) they have a pdf link that you can click and it will have the pages x
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/second-world-war-1939-1945/id973388278?mt=2&i=343027554

Nazi rise to power and consolidation podcast. Decent discussion in there, a bit narrative at times, but it's alright 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1543
Original post by Nchomuzinda
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/second-world-war-1939-1945/id973388278?mt=2&i=343027554

Nazi rise to power and consolidation podcast. Decent discussion in there, a bit narrative at times, but it's alright 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for sharing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anomea
It will be with sources. For Germany being responsible would be weltpolitik +flotenpolitik and Germany's general aggressive foreign policy + how it antagonized other European Powers + role in July Crisis.
For Germany not being responsible : You'd talk about Alliance Systems/Encirclement, Realpolitik, aggressive actions of others + lack of Evidence that Germany was planning a war.

Oh you forgot one of the main points: Fischer thesis :wink:
Original post by tessimoghaddam
Hi :smile: at the side of the site (right) they have a pdf link that you can click and it will have the pages x

Ah excellent :smile: thank you!!! x
Found these questions online and they look pretty hard!!!!!

:s-smilie:‘The political establishment in Germany succeeded in maintainingthe political status quo through a policy of moderate reform’. How far do youagree with this judgement? ‘The First World War increased rather than narrowedGermany’s political divisions’. How far do you agree with this judgement? ‘The impact of the First World War merely heightenedexisting social and political tensions which had divided Germany before 1914.’How far do you agree with this judgement?The main threat to the stability of the Weimar Republic in theperiod 1919 to 1923 came from the political violence of the extreme right’. Howfar do you agree with this judgement? ‘Doomed from the beginning’. How far do you agree with thisassessment of the Weimar Republic? ‘Germany experienced a period of political calm, economicdevelopment and social progress in the mid-1920s’. How far do you agree with thisjudgement? ‘No more than a fringe irritant in German politics’. How fardo you agree with this view of the strength of the Nazi Party in the years1920-9? ‘Hitler came to power legally and within the system. He useda system that was seriously flawed.’ How valid is this interpretation of themeans by which Hitler was appointed Chancellor of Germany? ‘People voted NSDAP more out of dislike for Weimar’sdemocracy rather than support for Hitler’s policies.’ To what extent do youagree with this view? To what extent was Hitler personally responsible for theNazis gaining power in Germany in 1933? In what ways did the economic depression of the years1929-33 help to increase support for the Nazi Party? ‘The strength of Nazism lay in the Protestant andpredominantly rural area of the North German plain rather than in the bigcities and in the industrial areas.’ To what extent do you agree with thisview? To what extent did Hitler consolidate his Chancellorship bythe end of 1933? ‘Nazi consolidation of power in 1933 was primarily due tothe use of terror and violence’. How far do you agree with this judgement? ‘The role played by the traditional elite was the mainfactor in bringing Hitler to power in January 1933’.How far do you agree with this judgement? ‘Hitler came to power because of conservativemiscalculation’.How far do you agree with this judgement? ‘Hitler came to power, not because of the strength of the NSDAP butbecause of the weakness of the opposition’. How far do you agree with this judgement? ‘Propaganda was the most important factor in the growth ofsupport for the Nazi party in the period to July 1932’.How far do you agree with this judgement?
‘The Final Solution evolved because of the chaotic nature ofthe Nazi regime in the years 1939-42’. How far do you agree with this opinion? To what extent did the Nazi regime face serious oppositionwithin Germany during the years 1939-45? ‘The Second World War made the Final Solution inevitable’.How far would you agree with this view? To what extent might it be claimed that the militaryrepresented the only real threat to Hitler’s regime? To what extent was the economy geared for war during theyears 1933-9? ‘The handling of the economy was poorly co-ordinated andthis accounts for the weaknesses in German war production in the years1939-45’. How far do you agree with this view? ‘Systematic extermination emerged as the Final Solution tothe Jewish Question as a result of the chaotic nature of the Nazi state’. Howfar do you agree with this opinion?
Could they ask about Nazi economy during 1933-39 in part A question?
Original post by CD223
Thanks for sharing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you explain how the law for the restoration of the civil service, was a pragmatic measure that consolidated nazi power?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Found these questions online and they look pretty hard!!!!!

:s-smilie:‘The political establishment in Germany succeeded in maintainingthe political status quo through a policy of moderate reform’. How far do youagree with this judgement? ‘The First World War increased rather than narrowedGermany’s political divisions’. How far do you agree with this judgement? ‘The impact of the First World War merely heightenedexisting social and political tensions which had divided Germany before 1914.’How far do you agree with this judgement?The main threat to the stability of the Weimar Republic in theperiod 1919 to 1923 came from the political violence of the extreme right’. Howfar do you agree with this judgement? ‘Doomed from the beginning’. How far do you agree with thisassessment of the Weimar Republic? ‘Germany experienced a period of political calm, economicdevelopment and social progress in the mid-1920s’. How far do you agree with thisjudgement? ‘No more than a fringe irritant in German politics’. How fardo you agree with this view of the strength of the Nazi Party in the years1920-9? ‘Hitler came to power legally and within the system. He useda system that was seriously flawed.’ How valid is this interpretation of themeans by which Hitler was appointed Chancellor of Germany? ‘People voted NSDAP more out of dislike for Weimar’sdemocracy rather than support for Hitler’s policies.’ To what extent do youagree with this view? To what extent was Hitler personally responsible for theNazis gaining power in Germany in 1933? In what ways did the economic depression of the years1929-33 help to increase support for the Nazi Party? ‘The strength of Nazism lay in the Protestant andpredominantly rural area of the North German plain rather than in the bigcities and in the industrial areas.’ To what extent do you agree with thisview? To what extent did Hitler consolidate his Chancellorship bythe end of 1933? ‘Nazi consolidation of power in 1933 was primarily due tothe use of terror and violence’. How far do you agree with this judgement? ‘The role played by the traditional elite was the mainfactor in bringing Hitler to power in January 1933’.How far do you agree with this judgement? ‘Hitler came to power because of conservativemiscalculation’.How far do you agree with this judgement? ‘Hitler came to power, not because of the strength of the NSDAP butbecause of the weakness of the opposition’. How far do you agree with this judgement? ‘Propaganda was the most important factor in the growth ofsupport for the Nazi party in the period to July 1932’.How far do you agree with this judgement?
‘The Final Solution evolved because of the chaotic nature ofthe Nazi regime in the years 1939-42’. How far do you agree with this opinion? To what extent did the Nazi regime face serious oppositionwithin Germany during the years 1939-45? ‘The Second World War made the Final Solution inevitable’.How far would you agree with this view? To what extent might it be claimed that the militaryrepresented the only real threat to Hitler’s regime? To what extent was the economy geared for war during theyears 1933-9? ‘The handling of the economy was poorly co-ordinated andthis accounts for the weaknesses in German war production in the years1939-45’. How far do you agree with this view? ‘Systematic extermination emerged as the Final Solution tothe Jewish Question as a result of the chaotic nature of the Nazi state’. Howfar do you agree with this opinion?

I've seen these questions too and they looked good but fundamental flaw is that they all say 'how far do you agree?' Which if it came up in the exam would require agree points and disagree points, some of the questions that the website uses are blatant factor questions
Original post by SophieNorcross
Could they ask about Nazi economy during 1933-39 in part A question?

Nope!
The source based questions for the WW1 controversy are generally all the same from the past few years; all about German Aggression & if they were accountable for the outbreak of the war. What else could they ask for it? I feel like I'm answering the same question over & over :colondollar:

But out of both the controversies, I feel a lot more at ease with WW1 because I know all the arguments & historians. The Nazi one is quite a bit harder imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cuppa
Nope!

Thanks a lot
Any part a predictions which your teachers have predicted?
Any part a predictions which your teachers have predicted?

Second Reich

Threats to Weimar Republic

Nazi Consolidation

Final Solution

How about you?? x
Second Reich

Threats to Weimar Republic

Nazi Consolidation

Final Solution

How about you?? x

I'm hoping something to do with Nazis, my worst would be anything about 2nd reich, hate that!!

Which part B are you going to answer?
Reply 1556
Does anyone have an opinion on which historical controversy is the most straightforward? I'm torn between which one to focus all of my time on!
How could a Final Solution question be worded? :redface:
Original post by jchap9776
I've seen these questions too and they looked good but fundamental flaw is that they all say 'how far do you agree?' Which if it came up in the exam would require agree points and disagree points, some of the questions that the website uses are blatant factor questions

Nope.

'How far do you agree' questions don't require agree and disagree points only.

It is perfectly fine for a question to ask 'How far do you agree...' and still be a factor question.
I'm hoping something to do with Nazis, my worst would be anything about 2nd reich, hate that!!

Which part B are you going to answer?

I am going to answer the nazi question either: popularity or efficiency! Wbu??

I hate the Second Reich too, its boring af ahah x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending