The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by saad97
Aha yeah I have no idea how to get it into the form they want but thanks for having a look, let me know if you get anywhere :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is as far as I can get. It's frustrating.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1426444889.600666.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by CD223
This is as far as I can get. It's frustrating.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1426444889.600666.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's all I can get too.
How would you rearrange that to get x on it's own?
Where on earth did the second e^2t come from in the answer?! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by saad97

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know? I tried multiplying through by the (1-x) and expanding the brackets. I'll try again 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by saad97

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's getting desperate...
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1426448215.767623.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by CD223
It's getting desperate...
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1426448215.767623.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can get to the answer but I'm pretty sure it's dogey maths which I'm not allowed to do! Haha
Give me a second

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by saad97
I can get to the answer but I'm pretty sure it's dogey maths which I'm not allowed to do! Haha
Give me a second

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right! I'm intrigued.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by CD223
Oh right! I'm intrigued.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1426449160.467394.jpg

I'm pretty sure you can't do that... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by saad97
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1426449160.467394.jpg

I'm pretty sure you can't do that... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's frustratingly close, but I don't think you can do that, as the denominator has two terms added and not multiplied together :/ Praying some genius sees our woes and helps asap Ahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by CD223
It's frustratingly close, but I don't think you can do that, as the denominator has two terms added and not multiplied together :/ Praying some genius sees our woes and helps asap Ahah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I just realised that as I was looking over my work. I'm so desperate to know how to get the right answer, I hate giving up on things -.-
Haha me too, where are all the tsr Maths gods?! 🙏

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saad97
Yeah I just realised that as I was looking over my work. I'm so desperate to know how to get the right answer, I hate giving up on things -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

having a go at it now... btw are any of you doing m1??? For the june 2014 paper I'm stuck on question 8, when you have the horizontal force... X is not the hypotenuse so why is it Xsin30. .. and how do you work out that it's 30 degrees hard question imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by madmenace
having a go at it now... btw are any of you doing m1??? For the june 2014 paper I'm stuck on question 8, when you have the horizontal force... X is not the hypotenuse so why is it Xsin30. .. and how do you work out that it's 30 degrees hard question imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, let me know how you get on please.
Yes I am, have you got a link to the paper or the question please?
If I recall correctly, CD223 sat the paper and got 100 ums so they should be able to help you with that. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Original post by saad97

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope to find an answer too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let me know how you get on :smile:

Also if you need help with the question I did that question last year as my real paper. Send me the question and I'll give it another go :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by saad97

If I recall correctly, CD223 sat the paper and got 100 ums so they should be able to help you with that. :smile:

Yes I did :smile: I can try and help! I'm doing M2 this year so I guess it might help me too haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Hey I need help, I hav my chemistry ISA coming up and I havnt revised for cause my mum passed away, can some plz help me on the ISA it's on titration any help would be really appreciated thanks
Original post by CD223
Yes I did :smile: I can try and help! I'm doing M2 this year so I guess it might help me too haha.

I'm trying the question but I can't get it into that forn:facepalm: I think it's to do with that 0.01kg at the beginning and subtracting from 1

Link is http://www.thechalkface.net/resources/alevel/exams/AQA_MM1B_Mechanics_1_Mathematics_16_June_2014.pdf
I'm stuck on Q8, when they apply the horizontal force how do you resolve it /get Xsin30? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done on getting 100 ums though! You must have been right proud of yourself.
How did you manage that? Any tips? :wink: aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Original post by abzaa
Hey I need help, I hav my chemistry ISA coming up and I havnt revised for cause my mum passed away, can some plz help me on the ISA it's on titration any help would be really appreciated thanks

Hello there,

First of all I'm incredibly sorry for your loss - that's absolutely awful news and no one should have to go through that kind of thing at this age or on their own.

Unfortunately personally I can't help, but maybe positing it in a chemistry forum might bring you better results?

Again, terribly sorry for your loss, I hope time can heal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78

I'm trying the question but I can't get it into that forn:facepalm: I think it's to do with that 0.01kg at the beginning and subtracting from 1

It's a horrid question! I can't seem to do it for the life of me!

I'm stuck on Q8, when they apply the horizontal force how do you resolve it /get Xsin30? Thanks

When they apply the horizontal force X, at first they are resolving perpendicular to (at right angles to) the slope. See my modified drawing below. Do you see that the angle I've drawn is 30 degrees?

If you look at the fact that the object is in equilibrium in the plane perpendicular to the slope, R must equal Xsin30 added to the component of the weight which acts perpendicular to the slope (40gcos30) :smile:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1426455608.784691.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by saad97
Well done on getting 100 ums though! You must have been right proud of yourself.
How did you manage that? Any tips? :wink: aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Yeah I was ecstatic. Was quite funny how the harder exams last year were C2 and M1 which I got 100 UMS on, but the easier one (C1) I got 97 in...

In the way of tips, Id say be confident with your modelling assumptions, and know some basic trig to quickly resolve forces into components. Trig identities like sinx/cosx=tanx can also sometimes arise. Approach the paper having done all the past papers (as many as you can find) if possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending