The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme]

*** OFFICIAL AQA CORE 4 MPC4 JUNE 2015 EXAM DISCUSSION THREAD ***
UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME
1. It is given that f(x)=19x2(5x)(1+6x)f(x) = \dfrac{19x - 2}{(5 - x)(1 + 6x)} can be expressed as A(5x)+B(1+6x)\dfrac{A}{(5-x)} + \dfrac{B}{(1 + 6x)} , where AA and BB are integers.

(a) Find the values of AA and BB. [3 marks]

A=3A = 3

B=1B = -1

3(5x)+1(1+6x)\therefore \dfrac{3}{(5-x)} + \dfrac{-1}{(1 + 6x)}

(b) Hence show that 04f(x) dx =kln5\displaystyle \int_0^4 f(x)\ dx\ = k \ln5, where kk is a rational number. [6 marks]

04f(x) dx =83ln5\displaystyle \int_0^4 f(x)\ dx\ = \frac{8}{3} \ln5

(a) Express 2cosx5sinx2 \cos x - 5 \sin x in the form Rcos(x+α)R \cos (x + \alpha), where R>0R > 0 and 0<α<π20 < \alpha < \frac{\pi}{2}, giving your value of α\alpha, in radians, to three significant figures. [3 marks]

2cosx5sinx=29cos(x+1.19)2 \cos x - 5 \sin x = \sqrt{29} \cos (x + 1.19)

(b) (i) Hence find the value of xx in the interval 0<x<2π0 < x < 2 \pi for which 2cosx5sinx2 \cos x - 5 \sin x has its maximum value. Give your value of xx to three significant figures. [2 marks]

x=5.09x = 5.09

(ii) Use your answer to part (a) to solve the equation 2cosx5sinx+1=02 \cos x - 5 \sin x + 1 = 0 in the interval 0<x<2π0 < x < 2 \pi , giving your solutions to three significant figures. [3 marks]

x=0.568,3.34x = 0.568, 3.34

(a) The polynomial f(x)f(x) is defined as f(x)=8x312x22x+df(x) = 8x^3 - 12x^2 - 2x + d, where dd is a constant. When f(x)f(x) is divided by (2x+1)(2x + 1), the remainder is 2-2. Use the Remainder Theorem to find the value of dd. [2 marks]

d=1d = 1

(b) The polynomial g(x)g(x) is defined by g(x)=8x312x22x+3g(x) = 8x^3 - 12x^2 - 2x + 3.
(i) Given that x=12x = \frac{-1}{2} is a solution of the equation g(x)=0g(x) = 0, write g(x)g(x) as a product of three linear factors. [3 marks]

g(x)=(2x+1)(2x3)(2x1)g(x) = (2x + 1)(2x - 3)(2x - 1)

(ii) The function hh is defined by h(x)=4x21g(x)h(x) = \dfrac{4x^2 - 1}{g(x)} for x>2x > 2. Simplify h(x)h(x), and hence show that hh is a decreasing function. [4 marks]

h(x)=1(2x3)h(x) = \dfrac{1}{(2x - 3)}

EITHER
h(x)=2(2x3)2 h'(x) = -2(2x - 3)^{-2}\ \therefore for x>2x > 2, h(x)<0h'(x) < 0 therefore h(x)h(x) is a decreasing function.

OR

Plot a graph of h(x)h(x). h(x)0h(x) \rightarrow 0 when xx \rightarrow \infty.

(a) Find the binomial expansion of (1+5x)15(1 + 5x)^{\frac{1}{5}} up to and including the term in x2x^2. [2 marks]

1+x2x21 + x - 2x^2

(b) (i) Find the binomial expansion of (8+3x)23(8 + 3x)^{\frac{-2}{3}} up to and including the term in x2x^2. [3 marks]

14+116x+5256x2\dfrac{1}{4} + \dfrac{1}{16} x + \dfrac{5}{256} x^2

(ii) Use your expansion from part (b)(i) to find an estimate for 1813\sqrt[3]{\frac{1}{81}}, giving your answer to four decimal places. [2 marks]

=0.2313= 0.2313

5. A curve is defined by the parametric equations x=cos2tx = \cos 2t, y=sinty = \sin t.
The point PP on the curve is where t=π6t = \frac{\pi}{6}.

(a) Find the gradient at PP. [3 marks]

dydx=12\dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{-1}{2}

(b) Find the equation of the normal to the curve at PP in the form y=mx+cy = mx + c. [3 marks]

y=2x12y = 2x - \frac{1}{2}

(c) The normal at PP intersects the curve again at the point Q(cos2q,sinq)Q (\cos 2q, \sin q). Use the equation of the normal to form a quadratic equation in sinq\sin q and hence find the xx-coordinate of QQ. [5 marks]

=18= \dfrac{-1}{8}

6. The points AA and BB have coordinates (3,2,10)(3, 2, 10) and (5,2,4)(5, -2, 4) respectively.
The line ll passes through AA and has equation r=[3210]+λ[312]r = \begin{bmatrix} 3 \\ 2 \\ 10 \end{bmatrix} + \lambda \begin{bmatrix} 3 \\ 1 \\ -2 \end{bmatrix}

(a) Find the acute angle between the line ll and the line ABAB. [4 marks]

60o60^{o}

(b) The point CC lies on ll such that angle ABCABC is 90o90^{o}. Find the coordinates of CC. [4 marks]

C=(15,6,2)C = (15, 6, 2)

(c) The point DD is such that BDBD is parallel to ACAC and angle BCDBCD is 90o90^{o}. The point EE lies on the line through BB and DD and is such that the length of DEDE is half that of ACAC. Find the coordinates of the two possible positions of EE. [4 marks]

E=(11,0,0)E = (11, 0, 0)
E=(23,4,8)E = (23, 4, -8)

7. A curve has equation y3+2e3xyx=ky^3 + 2e^{-3x}y - x = k, where kk is a constant. The point P(ln2,12)P (\ln2, \frac{1}{2}), lies on this curve.

(a) Show that the exact value of kk is qln2q - \ln2, where qq is a rational number. [1 mark]

k=14ln2k = \dfrac{1}{4} - \ln2

(b) Find the gradient of the curve at PP. [6 marks]

dydx=118\dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{11}{8}

(a) A pond is initially empty and is then filled gradually with water. After tt minutes, the depth of the water, xx metres, satisfies the equation

dxdt=4+5x5(1+t)2\dfrac{dx}{dt} = \dfrac{\sqrt{4 + 5x}}{5 (1 + t)^2}

Solve this differential equation to find xx in terms of tt. [7 marks]

x=15[(12(1+t)1+52)24]x = \frac{1}{5} [(\frac{-1}{2} (1 + t)^{-1} + \frac{5}{2})^2 - 4]

(b) Another pond is gradually filling with water. After tt minutes, the surface of the water forms a circle of radius rr metres. The rate of change of the radius is inversely proportional to the area of the surface of the water.

(i) Write down a differential equation, in the variables rr and tt and a constant of proportionality, which represents how the radius of the surface of the water is changing with time. (You are not required to solve your differential equation.) [3 marks]

drdt=kπr2\dfrac{dr}{dt} = \dfrac{k}{\pi r^2}

(ii) When the radius of the pond is 1 metre1\ \text{metre}, the radius is increasing at a rate of 4.54.5 metres per second. Find the radius of the pond when the radius is increasing at a rate of 0.50.5 metres per second.

r=3 metresr = 3\ \text{metres}

[TOTAL: 75 marks]

CORE 3 EXAM DISCUSSION THREAD:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3041463

MECHANICS 2 EXAM DISCUSSION THREAD:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3047357

RESOURCES:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How is everyone preparing? Does anyone have access to papers before 2005?

I've also updated links to the Core 3 and Mechanics 2 exam threads in the original post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

I've also updated links to the Core 3 and Mechanics 2 exam threads in the original post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hows your preperation going for c3 and c4? have you finsihed all the content?
Reply 3
Original post by madmenace
hows your preperation going for c3 and c4? have you finsihed all the content?

Hey! Not bad thanks :smile: yeah we've finished the contents for both and I'm about to move onto M2. How about you?
Getting around 63-65 in each paper. Desperately want to get that up to about 72 before the exam so I can get at least an A overall :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Hey! Not bad thanks :smile: yeah we've finished the contents for both and I'm about to move onto M2. How about you?
Getting around 63-65 in each paper. Desperately want to get that up to about 72 before the exam so I can get at least an A overall :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey!!! Yeah I'm abit slower I've finished core 3 and I'm hitting around 69... just abit of c4 and D1 to go... exams are fast approaching I'm getting scared already

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hey!!! Yeah I'm abit slower I've finished core 3 and I'm hitting around 69... just abit of c4 and D1 to go... exams are fast approaching I'm getting scared already

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I'm scared too! What do you have left of C4? I only finished it like 2 weeks ago, so we're starting M2 tomorrow I believe because the last few weeks has been mock period! What are you aiming for grade wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vectors, but I've nearly finished.... Some of the harder parametric equations I'm still getting used to.. I've got 10 exams in total :-( I want to get AAA minimum... but need to hurry up so i can start past papaer season lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Vectors, but I've nearly finished.... Some of the harder parametric equations I'm still getting used to.. I've got 10 exams in total :-( I want to get AAA minimum... but need to hurry up so i can start past papaer season lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh nice! Yeah parametric questions can be hard. I need AAA for my uni offer haha. I've got 8 exams :/ what other subjects do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Physics and chemistry.... no further maths;-) Chemistry is the killer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Physics and chemistry.... no further maths;-) Chemistry is the killer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I've heard chemistry is hard. AQA physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I'm currently learning C4 and M2 simultaneously. C4 is very challenging. I've been getting mid 55-62 on the C3 past papers. Need to raise my marks higher. Anyone have any revision tips?
Reply 11
Original post by Tiwa
I'm currently learning C4 and M2 simultaneously. C4 is very challenging. I've been getting mid 55-62 on the C3 past papers. Need to raise my marks higher. Anyone have any revision tips?

Is your issue with the content or timing? Because I'd say nail the content before even worrying about the 90 minutes! Try Solomon papers for a variety of extra practice. Exam solutions and various other videos on YouTube are great. Have you seen Jack Brown's videos?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by CD223
Is your issue with the content or timing? Because I'd say nail the content before even worrying about the 90 minutes! Try Solomon papers for a variety of extra practice. Exam solutions and various other videos on YouTube are great. Have you seen Jack Brown's videos?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's about the content mostly. Sometimes when I do past papers, I sometimes forget the method of answering a questions. I know of Exam solutions. I haven;t heard of Solomon papers, though. I'll take it into account. Thank you so much!
Reply 13
Original post by Tiwa
I think it's about the content mostly. Sometimes when I do past papers, I sometimes forget the method of answering a questions. I know of Exam solutions. I haven;t heard of Solomon papers, though. I'll take it into account. Thank you so much!

Yeah the method varies much more at A2 compared to AS aha. Sure, any time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Does anyone know what standard integrals we have to know? There's some in my textbook that refer to sin and tan in a fraction but I wasn't sure if this was still relevant to today's syllabus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, yeah it's those 2 you have to be able to recognise....
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

C3 didn't exist before 2005. Before that, C1 - 4 was in 3 modules, P1 - 3.
Reply 17
Hey, yeah it's those 2 you have to be able to recognise....

Should I memorise them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by tiny hobbit
C3 didn't exist before 2005. Before that, C1 - 4 was in 3 modules, P1 - 3.

Ah thanks for clearing that up! I'll attempt all from 2005 onwards :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Should I memorise them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What textbook do you use? My one explains how they come about ...but yeah I just remembered the two

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending