The Student Room Group

Difficulty with pronunciation

I'm doing beginners Spanish at university. I also happen to have dyslexia so learning a new language is a challenge but I am really into languages thats why I wouldn't let my dyslexia stop me. Well i have been experiecning some difficultly, particularlly with pronunication of words. I'm OK with writing and reading aspects of Spanish it's just the oral. Does anyone know what i can do to help my self get over the first hurdles?
Reply 1
luke88
I'm doing beginners Spanish at university. I also happen to have dyslexia so learning a new language is a challenge but I am really into languages thats why I wouldn't let my dyslexia stop me. Well i have been experiecning some difficultly, particularlly with pronunication of words. I'm OK with writing and reading aspects of Spanish it's just the oral. Does anyone know what i can do to help my self get over the first hurdles?

I am exactly in the same boat!!!! I thought I was the only one. I am not dyslexic, it just the words feel really strange; as if they have a certain flair to them that only a few can grasp.
Reply 2
I find that if i learn common letter combinations then that makes it easier, eg ci, ch, co etc etc etc
First of all, a lot can be improved with some confidence, if you're willing to make mistakes then you will learn from them! (hopefully!)

Particularly with Spanish, like Becca says learn common groups of letters and also stress rules and these will help immensely. In Spanish one sound corresponds to one letter, which makes pronunication easy than other languages (though I find French easiest!)

Some rules:
'h' is always silent
'z' is pronounced like 'th'
Before an 'i' or 'e', the hard 'c' sound is written as 'qu'
A 'g' before 'e' and 'i' as well as 'j' before a, o & u are pronounced like 'ch' in loch
'b' and 'v' sound the same which is especially important for listening exercises
'll' is pronounced like a 'y'

If you can remember those then that will help a lot, i would sugegest reading out loud or reading some words out loud to practise each sound.
Hope that helps
Reply 4
Is it getting the words from text into speech that's the problem, or actually saying them? If it's the latter, find a recording of a voice you like and practice it.
I know what you mean, I'm not a huge fan of Spanish pronounciation either, but if you learn the rules that leannemarie said, it's not too bad because it's quite phonetic. Just practice a lot by reading things out loud or signing up for extra speaking practice if it's offered.
If you can, learn the phonetic alphabet - it's seriously worth it cause once you know it you can learn sounds by symbol rather than having difficulty with consonant clusters/dipthongs etc x
I agree with all those who mentioned phonetics - it's seriously a good way of getting your pronunciation sorted. My pronunciation wasn't that bad in French (I guess because I used to talk with Frenchies now and then) but learning phonetics made me realise the difference between "u" and "ou" in french for one thing - I used to pronounce them the same!

Latest

Trending

Trending