The Student Room Group

Is my age a barrier for me going into law?

I´m 23, in my final year of a joint honours degree in Politics and International Relations.

After my degree, I am seriously considering doing the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) and after that, (assuming I were to complete that succesfully) the bar profesional training course.

Obviously I am aware that Entry to the bar is very competitive, and by the time I completed the bar profesional training course, I would be around 26 or 27.

My question, therefore, is would the fact that I may be a bit older than some of the other people applying affect my chance of getting a pupillage?

Any other general information related to this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Do mature students/ career changers actually get recruited as trainee solicitors? (Even in places like magic circle firms?)
Ah thanks, that's interesting. You'd think with such stringent time limits for climbing the ladder/ making partner etc. it'd be off limits to, say, 27/28 year olds. It must be hard starting out with 23/24 year olds, but I suppose age/ experience can be of major advantage too!
The time limits by which it is expected that employees make partner etc. Not trying to start an argument about age, I was just surprised because you generally do not see older people in magic circle trainee starting groups.
That's a novel take on the starting a family angle! And, just out of interest, what kind of career switches do you see? Have you, for example, ever seen a barrister switching over to becoming a solicitor? (I know somebody contemplating the process but worrying they will not get employment - they have completed pupillage and will be applying for a training contract. Bit of an awkward one.)
It's a bit ridiculous that someone trying to go from commercial pupillage to commercial solicitor will encounter serious (and let's be honest, potentially insurmountable) obstacles, yet those transferring from some of the careers in the list above will be welcomed as late in life lawyers. Is there not an element of explaining in making any career switch?
Original post by chriscahill9
I´m 23, in my final year of a joint honours degree in Politics and International Relations.

After my degree, I am seriously considering doing the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) and after that, (assuming I were to complete that succesfully) the bar profesional training course.

Obviously I am aware that Entry to the bar is very competitive, and by the time I completed the bar profesional training course, I would be around 26 or 27.

My question, therefore, is would the fact that I may be a bit older than some of the other people applying affect my chance of getting a pupillage?

Any other general information related to this would be appreciated.

Thanks

You will only be two or three years older than someone who went straight through with no gap years and studied Law. Your age will not be a factor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending