The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

This is a question from 2014 paper unit 1 I'm confused.

The equation is 4Fe(NO3)3 ---> 2FeO3 + 12NO2 + 3O2

4Fe(NO3)3 mass is 2.16g and Mr is 241.8

it it said to work out moles of iron nitrate I got it as 0.00893n which was right

then it said work out the moles of oxygen gas produced?
I got the mole ratio 4:3 but how do you work out the moles in 3O2 so confused
Original post by samwillettsxxx
This is a question from 2014 paper unit 1 I'm confused.

The equation is 4Fe(NO3)3 ---> 2FeO3 + 12NO2 + 3O2

4Fe(NO3)3 mass is 2.16g and Mr is 241.8

it it said to work out moles of iron nitrate I got it as 0.00893n which was right

then it said work out the moles of oxygen gas produced?
I got the mole ratio 4:3 but how do you work out the moles in 3O2 so confused

Looking at the mole ratio - for every 4 moles of iron(III) nitrate, there are 3 moles of oxygen (or if it's easier, you will have 1 mole of iron(III) nitrate for 3/4 mole of oxygen). That means you need to multiply the number of moles of iron(III) nitrate by 3/4 to get the number of moles of oxygen.
Original post by usycool1
Looking at the mole ratio - for every 4 moles of iron(III) nitrate, there are 3 moles of oxygen (or if it's easier, you will have 1 mole of iron(III) nitrate for 3/4 mole of oxygen). That means you need to multiply the number of moles of iron(III) nitrate by 3/4 to get the number of moles of oxygen.

Oh I see thank you that makes sense now! I was dividing 4/3 instead of 3/4 lmao
Oh I see thank you that makes sense now! I was dividing 4/3 instead of 3/4 lmao

No worries. :smile:
No worries. :smile:

So for the nitrogen dioxide 4/12 = 3
3x 0.00893 is moles in nitrogen dioxide
So for the nitrogen dioxide 4/12 = 3
3x 0.00893 is moles in nitrogen dioxide

Yup :yy:
Yup :yy:

Thank you so much, very helpful!
Original post by C0balt
The carbon which has hydroxyl group attached to it has three carbon atoms so there is no H atom on its own attached to the said carbon. Draw a tertiary alcohol and you will see. But I don't think the explanation is on any syllabus.

The chromium (VI) in dichromate has orange colour and chromium (III) is green. It is reduced in oxidation of alcohol this is where the colour change comes from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stuck on a physics question :colondollar:.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Stuck on a physics question :colondollar:.

Which?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I made a thread about it.
How do you know how many lone pair of electrons an element when it's connected to a compound, eg. the Oxygen in Phenol?
without drawing a dot and cross diagram?
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

I made a thread about it.

I just responded :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Georgiam247
Thanks for replying.

No I understand but it says the method for the reaction is to bubble hydrogen halides (gases @ rt) into liquid alkANE, but if this happened no reaction would occur. The hydrogen halide gas should be bubbled into a liquid alkENE....right?

I can see where you're coming from, but I'm presuming it means bubbled and turned into liquid alkane product?! But yes, they are reacted with alkenes and made into alkanes, so not very well written...

Chemguide.co.uk says:
Conditions
The alkenes react with gaseous hydrogen halides at room temperature. If the alkene is also a gas, you can simply mix the gases. If the alkene is a liquid, you can bubble the hydrogen halide through the liquid.
Original post by _NMcC_
Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty straightforward.

First find the moles of NH3 using N = Mass/Mr ---------- 300g/17 gmol-1 = 17.647 mol

Then use the equation C = N/V so 17.647 mol/1 dm3 volume (no convertion of units required = 17.6 mol dm-3 to 3 sig figs.

Make sure you understand that I got the Mr from adding the Ar (or mass number) of Nitrogen which is 14 on the OCR table. With 3 x 1.0 (1.0 is the mass number of hydrogen, since it's Ammonia NH3. We multiply by 3). 14 + 3 = 17 g mol-1

Remember the equations N = Mass/Mr for moles. N = C x V for solutions and N = V/Vm for gas volumes.

Practice loads and you'll get better :smile:

Sorry I was having a totally stupid moment and using the Mr of Ammonium instead of Ammonia! Thanks for the help though :smile: A-levels are most definitely frazzling my brain!
Can anyone help me out with percentage abundance questions? For isotopes, I am awful with maths.
So for example 10B and 11B are 2 isotopes with an relative atomic mass of 10.8

i I only got ratio 10:11 I don't know what to do next
Original post by frozo123
How do you know how many lone pair of electrons an element when it's connected to a compound, eg. the Oxygen in Phenol?
without drawing a dot and cross diagram?

What I do is find the amount of electrons on the outer shell of the bonding atom.
Then I work out the electrons that the bonding atom wants - eg chlorine wants 1 (as it will be sharing the same as the electron it wants in the bond if you get me)
Then I add these both together to get the total electrons and divide by 2 as there are 2 electrons in a pair. You can work out how many lone pairs after taking away the shared electrons in the compound

Eg NH3 : So nitrogen has 5 outer electrons. Hydrogen wants a total of 3 electrons.
Now add these both together and there are 8 electrons so a total of 4 bonds. As there are 3 hydrogens there are 3 bonds with atoms so lose 6 electrons (2 electrons per pair) and you are left with 2 electrons, which are a lone pair as it doesn't bond with any atoms.

Hope this helps, dunno if I even answered the question properly haha
Original post by sophiegashman
Sorry I was having a totally stupid moment and using the Mr of Ammonium instead of Ammonia! Thanks for the help though :smile: A-levels are most definitely frazzling my brain!

I know, the volumes of material you have to remember and apply can fog your mind at times! I've done that sort of thing before. If you can't concentrate properly. I usually stop and take a break. Clear your head. You'll only learn with a clear mind.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ozzie2
What I do is find the amount of electrons on the outer shell of the bonding atom.
Then I work out the electrons that the bonding atom wants - eg chlorine wants 1 (as it will be sharing the same as the electron it wants in the bond if you get me)
Then I add these both together to get the total electrons and divide by 2 as there are 2 electrons in a pair. You can work out how many lone pairs after taking away the shared electrons in the compound

Eg NH3 : So nitrogen has 5 outer electrons. Hydrogen wants a total of 3 electrons.
Now add these both together and there are 8 electrons so a total of 4 bonds. As there are 3 hydrogens there are 3 bonds with atoms so lose 6 electrons (2 electrons per pair) and you are left with 2 electrons, which are a lone pair as it doesn't bond with any atoms.

Hope this helps, dunno if I even answered the question properly haha

Oh no I do that as well haha
I was asking something a little bit different but thanks for trying to help :smile:
I used an A2 organic compound but it's an AS concept so thought I would post it on here.
What about ethanol for example? I don't think our method works for larger compounds because it'll be 6,1,4?
Hi guys, just a practical question:

Is there a special way to print Edexcel Chemistry (and all Edexcel science papers for that matter) off?? It seems as though when I try to print it off, there's a white border right around the main page, which is useless and just makes the pages difficult to read because they are made smaller. My school seems to be able to get the papers printed without issue.

Hioefully this is easily resolvable - I just want the useful part of the paper to take up more of the page
For example, although this paper appears full page, in reality when I print it off there's a massive plain white boarder to all sides of the black barcodes/rectangles. Anyone able to help?!!
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Chemistry/2013/Exam%20materials/6CH01_01_que_20110113.pdf

Thanks!
Original post by gabby07
x

Got the same problem
At home when I print on A4 double sided I have no problem
But at school when i get to print out on A3 as booklet style it becomes small to almost size of A4 booklet style (which is A5 size a page)
I have tried to scale it up but it doesn't work ::dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest