The Student Room Group

Did/do you go to a private school and how was your experience?

Was it the best school experience? Did you get straight A's? What job does your parents do?

Scroll to see replies

Private school teachers actually get paid less than state school teachers.

I've been to a comprehensive my whole life because my parents couldn't afford it. I think the majority of people on TSR went to a private/grammar school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by grassntai
Private school teachers actually get paid less than state school teachers.

I've been to a comprehensive my whole life because my parents couldn't afford it. I think the majority of people on TSR went to a private/grammar school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly, but then you see state school kids going Oxbridge/top unis and 3 A* grades...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive been at a private school my whole life. In my last year of 6th form now.
I got 7A* and 3As at GCSE. I didn't try to hard as well, I definitely owe it to the school I think. I'm predicated A*AA at A2.

I do think that private education has pushed me and helped me achieve. I am quite lazy otherwise. I don't think the teachers are necessarily better? But we have longer school days and more homework I think, also it is very competitive. It has definitely opened up a lot more opportunities for me.

My parents aren't mega rich, my neighbour probably is richer or earning the same amount but went to a state school. Just some people prioritise education etc. It is true though, there are some mega snobs out there, but hey you get them everywhere I spose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FreshGarbage
I got 7A* and 3As at GCSE. I didn't try to hard as well, I definitely owe it to the school I think. I'm predicated A*AA at A2.

I do think that private education has pushed me and helped me achieve. I am quite lazy otherwise. I don't think the teachers are necessarily better? But we have longer school days and more homework I think, also it is very competitive. It has definitely opened up a lot more opportunities for me.

My parents aren't mega rich, my neighbour probably is richer or earning the same amount but went to a state school. Just some people prioritise education etc. It is true though, there are some mega snobs out there, but hey you get them everywhere I spose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But everyone's well behaved! There's no bullying ect.. and you're taught how to learn which is greatthoae skills. Whereas, in state schools younknow a C grade is s*** , but teachers say aim for that -how ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rich asses
Original post by fudgecake22
But everyone's well behaved! There's no bullying ect.. and you're taught how to learn which is greatthoae skills. Whereas, in state schools younknow a C grade is s*** , but teachers say aim for that -how ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahahahaha. Ok well everyone is well behaved.... That's such a huge misconception. Too much money causes people to be carefree, do lots of drugs, always get bailed out of trouble as they are to 'cool' to learn. Yep definitely not at my school.

Bullying can be bad as well. People hate on people for lots of reasons just the same as state schools.

And aiming for a C is what a number of kids do at my school. Some people find education harder than others and money can't buy you a high IQ. I have friends from normal schools doing better than me, again some state schools ate better than others as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh there is bullying, and the majority of my school have some connections to the 'rich and famous', someone's parents owns a really really big company (i'd rather not say which) and a lot of the kids are distant/close cousins to celebrities children, I may just go to an 'elite' school but from what I know from my experience of going to a private school it's quite normal to be related to someone 'famous'

Posted from TSR Mobile

how much did your private school cost monthly
Yes. Good.
Can someone explain to me the difference between a state/private/grammar school etc that you have in UK? I'm not from UK myself, interested to know the system
Original post by HSafirah
Can someone explain to me the difference between a state/private/grammar school etc that you have in UK? I'm not from UK myself, interested to know the system

Private schools charge extortionate amounts of money and tend to offer considerably better teaching, hence having a larger percentage of candidates that go to top tier universities.

State schools are funded by state and taxes primarily I believe, and don't "cost" money to attend, per say. Education isn't as good.

They don't tend to push many people to achieve their best.
Original post by a-spiringmedic
oh there is bullying, and the majority of my school have some connections to the 'rich and famous', someone's parents owns a really really big company (i'd rather not say which) and a lot of the kids are distant/close cousins to celebrities children, I may just go to an 'elite' school but from what I know from my experience of going to a private school it's quite normal to be related to someone 'famous'

What people from "Made in Chelsea"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was it the best school experience? Did you get straight A's? What job does your parents do?

Yes I did, got straight As, parents are doctors.

Can't really compare it to state schools, since I only went to a state for two years. The main advantages, in my opinion, are:

- better teaching resources and availability for higher qualifications. In Scotland, many state schools don't have provision for a lot of Advanced Higher subjects, but in a private school all the main AHs are provided for.

- more experience in helping with UCAS applications

- Much more extra-curricular activities on offer. All private schools will have their own cricket and rugby team, with school leagues. As a cricket fan, I won't have been able to play in a state school.

Oh and the person who said private school teachers don't get paid as much. They get paid more (at least that was the case at my school).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think the teachers are necessarily better? But we have longer school days and more homework I think, also it is very competitive. It has definitely opened up a lot more opportunities for me.

Teachers generally are a lot better. Maybe it's because I've experienced the extremes of state school and then went to private school for sixth form that I've noticed the difference.

It's also the whole environment, not so much competitive, but everyone just wants to do well. Even thought some of us are lazy and don't do anything for it, we still want it :lol:

There are a lot more opportunities available at private schools indeed.

_

I personally have spent just over a year at a private school and it's great. However I would never ever ever ever pay 12k a year for it... It just isn't worth it. Unless it was mere pennies to me which it probably is to the parents at my school.

But yeah, huge difference in the teaching, environment, support.
Yes, I go to an independent school. And yes, I got 10 A*s at GCSE. But now obviously I need to repeat the experience at a state school just for a fair comparison...

I wouldn't trade my experience for anything- it's a beautiful environment for learning and the teachers really do care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Iridann
Private schools charge extortionate amounts of money and tend to offer considerably better teaching, hence having a larger percentage of candidates that go to top tier universities.

State schools are funded by state and taxes primarily I believe, and don't "cost" money to attend, per say. Education isn't as good.

They don't tend to push many people to achieve their best.

Thank you for telling me :smile:
I've been to both private and state schools.

In my private primary, I was pushed to achieve the best. In the state secondary, I had to do a lot of the work by myself. At least it prepared me for uni :smile:
Can't say if it was the best experience as I didn't know any different.. but yeah I absolutely loved my school years. Miss sixth form especially so much :frown:

I got straight A/A*s at GCSE and IGCSE, and got

Maths - A*
FMaths - B
History (pre u) - D3 (which equals an A)
Economics - A

my mum used to teach science, and later cooking but hasn't worked for about 20 years

my dad has done a massive range of things but currently runs a consultancy business and works part time as a consultant for glaxo
I went to a bad state school and got 2A*s 7As 2Bs at GCSE and A*A*A at A-Level and I'm now at Oxford. In fact my school was so bad that they lowered my tuition fees at uni. I think it's very possible for state school students to do very well but there isn't the same support structure and efficient exam preparation as can be found in private schools. I think private education pays off best for GCSE but evens out at A-Level. There is only guy who went to a grammar doing my course at my college but the rest were privately educated so it can feel a bit weird talking to people about their grades / backgrounds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending