The Student Room Group

SEO Scholars

How hard is it to get a place on the SEO Scholars Scheme and is it worth it?
Original post by samiimas

So long as you have decent GCSE grades very easy, and they do give some good law and investment banking related opportunities but they're only really focused on these type of opportunities. If you want to get into a different sector it's a bit of a waste of time.

I'm doing it now... Want to do medicine though so its a complete waste of my time.

It's not that hard - they make the application seem really selective but in all honesty, it was quite easy to get in :tongue:

As said above, it's mostly only good for law and investment banking/finance work experience and isn't very good if you're looking to do medicine or work placements for the sciences.
Reply 4
Original post by yellowcopter
So long as you have decent GCSE grades very easy, and they do give some good law and investment banking related opportunities but they're only really focused on these type of opportunities. If you want to get into a different sector it's a bit of a waste of time.

Ah okay that sounds really beneficial! Thanks for the info
Reply 5
Original post by Magnesium
It's not that hard - they make the application seem really selective but in all honesty, it was quite easy to get in :tongue:

As said above, it's mostly only good for law and investment banking/finance work experience and isn't very good if you're looking to do medicine or work placements for the sciences.

Oh right. So how does it work, do they help me in applying from work experience places? Or, are there specifc places available for just SEO Scholars?
Reply 6
Original post by Angelo12231
I'm doing it now... Want to do medicine though so its a complete waste of my time.

Argh man that must be so annoying for you! I am considering medicine aswell. Did you apply to the Social Mobility Fund by any chance?
Oh right. So how does it work, do they help me in applying from work experience places? Or, are there specifc places available for just SEO Scholars?

Yeah they send you work experience placements via email - you can pick and choose which ones you want to express interest in. Some are specific to SEO and some are available to all the public but SEO help to alert your attention to it as some events are quite obscure ie Year 12 Insight Days etc which are normally only open to graduates/undergraduates in their penultimate year.

Once you get to university, I think you become an SEO mentor.

Yeah they send you work experience placements via email - you can pick and choose which ones you want to express interest in. Some are specific to SEO and some are available to all the public but SEO help to alert your attention to it as some events are quite obscure ie Year 12 Insight Days etc which are normally only open to graduates/undergraduates in their penultimate year.

Ditto to what Magnesium said ^^ I'm currently a scholar and tbh they make it seem selective but they actually give out places like sweeties (lol) as long as you have an interest and have good grades (not like 10a* amazing but good grades none the less) you will definitely get the place.

I HIGHLY recommend SEO Scholars, they are amazing!

I think they choose people who are deprived e.g. parents did not go university or if you are an ethnic minority.

I think it's worth it, I get emails about work experience in top notch law firms such as Freshfields or insight days. I done some work experience at Barclays too. If you become a part of SEO then you'll get amazing opportunities not open to people otherwise and it can help build your CV. You can choose what work exp you want to do.
Original post by noshahmad
I think they choose people who are deprived e.g. parents did not go university or if you are an ethnic minority.

I think it's worth it, I get emails about work experience in top notch law firms such as Freshfields or insight days. I done some work experience at Barclays too. If you become a part of SEO then you'll get amazing opportunities not open to people otherwise and it can help build your CV. You can choose what work exp you want to do.

Argh man that must be so annoying for you! I am considering medicine aswell. Did you apply to the Social Mobility Fund by any chance?

Yeah it's quite easy to get in if you're an ethnic minority/first in your family to go to university but tbh, I've met so many people on the course that definitely do not fit into any of these categories and got in by just asking if they could join because they wanted to :tongue: A lot of the schools that SEO advertise to have pupils who don't fit any of the criteria but are able to join any way :tongue:
Reply 11

Ah ha! Cool, thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Anonynmous
Ditto to what Magnesium said ^^ I'm currently a scholar and tbh they make it seem selective but they actually give out places like sweeties (lol) as long as you have an interest and have good grades (not like 10a* amazing but good grades none the less) you will definitely get the place.

I HIGHLY recommend SEO Scholars, they are amazing!

Oh awesome! It really does sound beneficial for me, anyway thanks.
Reply 13

That sounds great, and I actually interested in investment banking/law. I think I'd better grasp with opportunity!!!
Yeah it's quite easy to get in if you're an ethnic minority/first in your family to go to university but tbh, I've met so many people on the course that definitely do not fit into any of these categories and got in by just asking if they could join because they wanted to :tongue: A lot of the schools that SEO advertise to have pupils who don't fit any of the criteria but are able to join any way :tongue:

Yeah I know, I met some people on there who went to private schools so they deffo do not leave anyone out just because you don't fit into that category! :biggrin:
That sounds great, and I actually interested in investment banking/law. I think I'd better grasp with opportunity!!!

Yeah they really do help with that, you get to work shadow and they give you training days to help you impress the people you'll work with :smile:
Yeah they really do help with that, you get to work shadow and they give you training days to help you impress the people you'll work with :smile:

What if my gcses are mostly B/C grades? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fudgecake22

Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely know of some people who didn't get amazing grades and still managed to get into the next part of the course for sixth form.

Yeah I know, I met some people on there who went to private schools so they deffo do not leave anyone out just because you don't fit into that category! :biggrin:

Yeah same. I didn't think I'd fit the criteria when I filled out the application but I got in for some reason :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as you get Bs in English Language and Maths, you should be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't matter if you have B in Maths and English and are on track for ABB (or AAB can't remember) for A Level

Quick Reply

Latest