The Student Room Group

Am I clever enough to study law?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Conrad_Ford
Hi
I am thinking of studying law at university. I say thinking, hoping would be more appropriate.:smile: I have just started my AS and am predicted 4b's .. This is way below what it takes to study law I think, but I was wondering if anyone else was predicted theses kind of results and still went on to study law at a russell group uni? I've been looking at some and, although all are very competitive, I am dreaming of studying at Nottingham or Queen Mary London.
Also, I was wondering what kind of offers some of you got? Maybe if some of you were offered ABB it will boost my confidence:smile: but that wish is shadowed with crippling doubts of my own ability:/

You have every chance to do law at uni! :smile:
Original post by annaw1996
Ah, I did not realise this.
Thank God I don't want to be a City lawyer!

What do you want to do? If you want to be an academic then take it from me, the expectation is no less brutal. The bar is also incredibly competitive particularly in London- the regions are probably the only place where you'd be ok with mediocre Alevel grades still I think.
Original post by Birkenhead
I was more referring to classes of degrees. Scroll down to the degree class pie chart here: http://m.unistats.ac.uk/subjects/study/10007154FT-M100/ReturnTo/Search

30% get 2:2s despite it being a prestigious university with high entry requirements...reasonable to assume they are much harsher in their marking than other RG unis, which is why I suggest the OP cynically avoid it unless it is their only RG offer or they are very keen on it.

Good advice.

I cannot emphasise enough how fatal a 2.2 is to your job prospects.
Original post by jenkinsear
What do you want to do? If you want to be an academic then take it from me, the expectation is no less brutal. The bar is also incredibly competitive particularly in London- the regions are probably the only place where you'd be ok with mediocre Alevel grades still I think.

I'm still unsure as to what I want to do. In all honesty, I can't say that I'm loving Law. If I'm not enjoying it as a degree course then I'm doubtful I'll want to pursue it in academia or as a career choice.

I'm considering swapping to Philosophy or applying elsewhere to do Philosophy.
Original post by annaw1996
I'm still unsure as to what I want to do. In all honesty, I can't say that I'm loving Law. If I'm not enjoying it as a degree course then I'm doubtful I'll want to pursue it in academia or as a career choice.

I'm considering swapping to Philosophy or applying elsewhere to do Philosophy.

Law is certainly a much harder and challenging degree than most I would say, and I'd also say it is not the most fun of choices one could make.

If you're going to change courses I would be very careful. I personally would lean towards something like History or English in your position over something like philosophy- on the whole I would say they are more respected and more useful to you in securing employment.
Reply 25
Everyone thank you for the discussions.. Reading objectively it's nice to have an insight into, from what I've seen online, a rather hush hush course at a place where applications seen very inconsistent- as are the acceptance requirements:smile: you've all been very helpful::smile:))🎅👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Conrad_Ford
Everyone thank you for the discussions.. Reading objectively it's nice to have an insight into, from what I've seen online, a rather hush hush course at a place where applications seen very inconsistent- as are the acceptance requirements:smile: you've all been very helpful::smile:))������������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck with everything! Remember, the admissions team are just humans, they are fallible. Sometimes they'll just like you or not like you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending