The Student Room Group

can't swim - expected to go to watersports day?

Hi guys, need a bit of advice but going to miss out some details with the purpose of keeping this brief.

I am a bridesmaid and part of the hen party, the organised event for the hen party is canyoning (don't know much but I gather its a watersport - so i assume ability to swim is required). there is a lot of pressure on me to go this event but i can't swim. i'd rate my ability as 1/10 (can probably swim a few metres, but i definitely am not comfortable doing watersports). My physical fitness otherwise is good - just never learnt this important skill. This hen party consists of a big group (~20) so i certainly dont want to feel like i am holding everyone up if i did go, id probably also struggle and feel nervous etc. There is 1 or 2 members of this group who are rather unpleasant and I'd rather them not know I can't swim - do i have a choice? I'd rather tell the organiser i cant swim than im not very good because I fear they'll encourage me to still go and i know i wouldnt feel comfortable.

any advice please?
Not sure what you're trying to tell us. There is no verb "Canyon" in the dictionary last time I checked. If it has anything to do with rowing or canoeing (which I think is actually what you meant), then as long as you don't fall off the canoe/kayak/boat you'll be fine
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
Not sure what you're trying to tell us. There is no verb "Canyon" in the dictionary last time I checked. If it has anything to do with rowing or canoeing (which I think is actually what you meant), then as long as you don't fall off the canoe/kayak/boat you'll be fine

apparently its also called gorge walking or canyoneering or scrambling, i think its this sort of thing: http://www.gorgewalkingwales.com/
Reply 3
It's not particularly hard to learn, a few sessions and you should be good to go
Reply 4
Original post by Jubz1
It's not particularly hard to learn, a few sessions and you should be good to go

if iv not been able to learn in over 20 years, i highly doubt il able to in a matter of weeks unfortunately
Reply 5
anyone? :frown:
Do you know how to float?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Firenze26
Do you know how to float?

P.S.

yes, but i dont know how long for. Also, if i was panicking/ nervous id probably be even less capable.
Cause if you know, you could just pretend you know how to. That's what my sibling did, they just pretended they knew how to swim by staying in the shallow side and floating in the middle.... wait, sorry this is different. Wrong advice, sorry.

Does your friend know that you can't swim by any chance?

P.S.

Reply 9
You'll have a life jacket on, No swimming ability needed really.

but if you're uncomfortable I'd just make an excuse as to why you cant go.
If you're a confident individual, then go for it and have a laugh. Chances are, people won't really care that you can't really swim. Take a couple of lessons maybe before you go, and make sure you're wearing the right equipment and nothing bad will happen to you.

But, if you are a very nervy and anxious person, I'd advise you not to go. You'll be extremely nervous, you won't enjoy the day and may affect everyone else having a good time. It would be better to sit this one out, make up an important appointment that you can't miss.
Original post by abbiemac
If you're a confident individual, then go for it and have a laugh. Chances are, people won't really care that you can't really swim. Take a couple of lessons maybe before you go, and make sure you're wearing the right equipment and nothing bad will happen to you.

But, if you are a very nervy and anxious person, I'd advise you not to go. You'll be extremely nervous, you won't enjoy the day and may affect everyone else having a good time. It would be better to sit this one out, make up an important appointment that you can't miss.

what makes me anxious is that its a very large group and i dont know more than half of them, so wouldnt want to hold them up. what kind of appointment is important/worth enough to warrant me not to go?
Some of these watersport activities have a requirement that you can swim 50 yards and the person booking would need to say that everyone can do that.

You need a family commitment you can't get out of or take swimming lessons now.

Hope you manage to sort this out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending