The Student Room Group

Are Atheist women put off by guys who are religious?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olderandwiser23
I personally just think if you are of differing religions or ones atheist and the other isn't, your fundamental values/morals are unlikely to match and thus the relationship is more likely to fail at some point.

That's precisely my point (see: from experience) but my mentality, for good or for bad, is quite "oh well, it is what it is".

Not necessarily an age issue but will give full disclosure from outset that I feel we are too young to be tied down and that's not to say that I am not extremely loyal because I am.

I'm pretty turned off by any silly beliefs not just religious ones. Was talking to a guy who seemed cool until he started talking about chakras. Even worse another guy I previously had presumed was intelligent and maybe even educated (he's into chemistry) started talking to him about it and apparently wasn't humouring him. I resolve never to be a witness to stupidity but was left sitting there like " are they being serious?".

Its okay I hate me too :smile:
Original post by Catholic_
I'm Catholic. I usberstand that might be weird for some girls (for some reason) probably because you're scared your lifestyle may be exposed or something? Or that religious men are all crazy etc.

How would you feel about dating a Catholic then?

My MD's wife is Catholic and he's not religious as long as you don't force the girl to go to church with you or try to make them believe in god i reckon you'll be fine.
Crunch time is when you insist on indoctrinating my kids with crackpot mumbo jumbo and nonsensical beliefs. I know that this planet's disc shaped and nobody us going to brainwash my kids with *******s about ball shaped planetoids. My beliefs are right. Your beliefs must be altered. Simples.
(edited 9 years ago)
If they were perfect in every other way I'd probably date them anyway but I would much rather date someone that wasn't religious. Simply because doing makes religion a part of your life and if I wanted that I'd be religious myself. I'm not even saying they'd try to convert me just I think it's one of those things that will always cause extra issues such as pre marital sex, contraception, accidental pregnancy options, what to do during religious holidays, what kind of wedding ceremony to have, whether to christen your kids, what to raise the kids to believe.

I just feel like a relationship will be easier if you're on the same page about certain things and this is the sort of thing that can effect a few things.
Reply 44
Eh... my family is Orthodox, so I was brought up as a Christian. I still respect the major holidays and traditions, but I just don't believe in religion anymore. And I guess I wouldn't date a religious guy, not so much because of the ''different lifestyle'' - I don't imagine it would be incredibly different anyway - but mainly because our opinions will clash very often. I have a hard time tolerating people's arguments when they are backed up by a faith in something invisible. It would be really hard to reconcile two dramatically different views on life.
Reply 45
It wouldn't matter to me at all, as long as they didn't keep bringing it up. :smile:
U
Original post by erminexr
Eh... my family is Orthodox, so I was brought up as a Christian. I still respect the major holidays and traditions, but I just don't believe in religion anymore. And I guess I wouldn't date a religious guy, not so much because of the ''different lifestyle'' - I don't imagine it would be incredibly different anyway - but mainly because our opinions will clash very often. I have a hard time tolerating people's arguments when they are backed up by a faith in something invisible. It would be really hard to reconcile two dramatically different views on life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you believe in the invisible electromagnetic spectrum?

And you know theres a good chance a lot of the things you believe in today could be prooven wrong tomorrow, as is common in the history of science. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the accepted scientific laws are redundant in 50 years.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm Catholic. I usberstand that might be weird for some girls (for some reason) probably because you're scared your lifestyle may be exposed or something? Or that religious men are all crazy etc.

it's more that you say things like that

No one wants Catholic guilt crammed down their throats.
I wouldn't mind my partner being religious so long as his religion isn't constantly being pushed down my throat or interfering with my life.

I wouldn't. I would only date atheists or agnostics. Our lifestyle and beliefs would be totally different.
Reply 50

I'm still laughing my ass off at this part.
Reply 51

Yes I most likely would not date a practising religious person. I probably would not date someone who labelled themselves as catholic.

Also the bit in bold in your OP is one of the many reasons I wouldn't - what on earth do you mean by my lifestyle "exposed"? what a weird and judgemental thing to say.
It's a difficult question really. I think when most people start dating, or at least at the early stages of getting to know each other, at least in my case I or they have never explicitly asked 'are you religious?'. I am an atheist, however I am not close minded. I would consider anyone irrespective of their religion, or ethnicity/creed etc etc. However, it would only become a problem if they tried to force their beliefs onto me. As long as they're cool that I am an atheist, then I can accept that they are religious. I also think the latter point is also indicative of to what extent they are religious.
As an atheist with a boyfriend who believes in god, i m perfectly happy dating someone religous as long i dont get it pushed on me and our children can be raised by choosing their religion themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending