The Student Room Group

Can a man ever forgive a woman for aborting his child?

Poll

Can you forgive your wife/gf for aborting your child against your wishes?!

That's if he wanted the child. Can a relationship ever survive something like that?

I have no experience of this however as a male I could never picture myself continuing a relationship with any woman (wife or gf) that decides to go against my wishes and abort the child because she doesn't want it.

Is it the same for other men?

Or are you more understanding.

Please keep religion out of this.

Scroll to see replies

Only if the man in question agrees to take on the burden of carrying the child.
When a masturbates he is aborting maany kids so he cypocrite annot be h
Reply 3
Original post by perspiracious
Only if the man in question agrees to take on the burden of carrying the child.

What does this have anything to do with my question? It's not the man's fault that he can't get pregnant. Women have the reproductive role in the relationship.
Reply 4
Original post by ShotsFired-9941
When a masturbates he is aborting maany kids so he cypocrite annot be h

This thread is not about the immorality of abortion or whether it's right or wrong. It's about unsaid words and hurt feelings that result from women selfishly going against their husband/bf's wishes and what comes next in any serious relationship.

ps. l2spell
Original post by Mr Wrong
What does this have anything to do with my question? It's not the man's fault that he can't get pregnant. Women have the reproductive role in the relationship.

Women are just baby making machines.
To be serious, both partners need to agree beforehand if they want to have a child. If they don't want a child at that moment, then contraception should be used. Yes, that includes you (a man) to use condoms.
Reply 6
Women are just baby making machines.
To be serious, both partners need to agree beforehand if they want to have a child. If they don't want a child at that moment, then contraception should be used. Yes, that includes you (a man) to use condoms.

What if a woman gets a promotion at work and then changes her mind about getting pregnant since she's a "career girl". Should the man support her through this and watch her abort his child or what?

And do real life couples hold hands during an abortion?

These are real questions that make me wonder about the oddity of life.
I don't think I could either.

It's just as much mine as it is hers. And it's not like as a male we chose not to be able to have babies.
"His" child. Oh, men can be so amusing.
Reply 9
Their child.
I'm not a man so I'd never be in that situation, but I wouldn't forgive.

Like, she should have taken steps to prevent getting preggo (i.e, the pill, check he wears a condom, etc) in the first place if she didn't want kids - especially if she knows that the guy would want to keep any kids conceived. Idk if that's just me though. The woman would (should!) know what unprotected sex/not taking safety measures could mean for her.
Original post by Meyrin
"His" child. Oh, men can be so amusing.

It is his as well as hers.
Original post by Mr Wrong
What if a woman gets a promotion at work and then changes her mind about getting pregnant since she's a "career girl". Should the man support her through this and watch her abort his child or what?

And do real life couples hold hands during an abortion?

These are real questions that make me wonder about the oddity of life.

Abortion is a serious decision to make. I don't think we can generalize here too much. It can be a distressing decision to make for some couples. Ultimately though it is a man's choice whether to support that decision or not.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I don't think I could either.

It's just as much mine as it is hers. And it's not like as a male we chose not to be able to have babies.

Except that a woman invests much more energy and resources into the child.
She's the one carrying it in her womb and having to squeeze it through her genitalia. Not you, you have no right to be angry if all you did was nut inside her (I'm sure that was so terrible, wasn't it?!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crozibear96
I'm not a man so I'd never be in that situation, but I wouldn't forgive.

Like, she should have taken steps to prevent getting preggo (i.e, the pill, check he wears a condom, etc) in the first place if she didn't want kids - especially if she knows that the guy would want to keep any kids conceived. Idk if that's just me though. The woman would (should!) know what unprotected sex/not taking safety measures could mean for her.

Safety measures aren't always effective and accidents can always happen.
Personally, I'm completely against abortion. I can't agree with someone who has an abortion for selfish reasons, and couldn't forgive anyone I knew for having one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Except that a woman invests much more energy and resources into the child.

And is it my fault it's that way? No, if she didn't want a child, she should have made it clear from the get go.

If my partner was pregnant, I'd want to keep it, and I wouldn't stay with her if she wanted to abort. At the same time though, I don't think I'd want her not to abort just to stay with me, if that makes sense.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
It is his as well as hers.

In terms of genetic make-up, yes, but it is the woman who carries the child, and it is ultimately her choice - and no one else's - whether or not to go through with a pregnancy.
Original post by Meyrin
In terms of genetic make-up, yes, but it is the woman who carries the child, and it is ultimately her choice - and no one else's - whether or not to go through with a pregnancy.

That's not fair though at all.

A man should have a fair say in it too.

I don't think it should ever have to come to having an abortion though, with a disagreement.

Both parties should know what they both want beforehand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending