The Student Room Group

A-Level Chemistry Unit 1

Hey Fellow TSRers,

I'm currently preparing for my chemistry Unit 1 mock exam in January, the exam board is AQA. I just have a few questions to ask the people who already have pretty high grades in chemistry. At the moment, I'm doing every single past paper out there

-Are there any specific things I need to learn in order to do well?

-Is doing every single past exam paper out there more effective than making notes from the textbook?

-How easy is it to get an A in chemistry?

-If I do well in every single paper I do (70-80%), am I guaranteed a good grade in the summer exams?

I'm trusting the expertise of wise TSR'ers

Thank You Guys :biggrin:
I'm retaking my AS subjects (Bio, Chem & Maths) and I've been getting all As in recent mocks so here's my advice:

Original post by Asian.Guy
-Are there any specific things I need to learn in order to do well?

Everything on the specification, I recommend writing out the spec points with an answer underneath every single point. Make yourself a little revision guide and keep condensing your notes until you can fit a whole chapter on a postcard sized piece of paper.

-Is doing every single past exam paper out there more effective than making notes from the textbook?

You need to be doing both. Do ALL of the past papers as many times as you can - you have up until the exam to do so but also make notes on the things you're getting wrong.
Do some extra reading on the topics too. If your school or library has a subscription to Chemistry Review or something similar, I highly recommend reading these types of magazines... the topics that are covered are often related to what you are learning in school

-How easy is it to get an A in chemistry?

It's difficult if you don't put the work in or if you don't have a good understanding of the subject. It's supposedly of the most difficult A-Levels out there.

-If I do well in every single paper I do (70-80%), am I guaranteed a good grade in the summer exams?

As long as you keep revising throughout the year, I'd say you have a fairly good chance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest