The Student Room Group

MSc in Financial Mathematics (Financial Engineering)

Hi everyone!

I'm a home student who is currently in my final year of a Mathematics undergraduate at the University of Warwick and I'm on course for a mid 2.1.

I'm considering applying for a masters degree in Financial Mathematics for 2016 entry after taking a year out in China working (and to finalise my learning of Chinese to become fluent).

However the sticking point I feel is that I haven't studied a great deal of probability during my degree and that which I did study wasn't great (in my first year). I am wondering if my lack of probability will hinder me greatly and I am considering self learning some of it in preparation anyway. I have more than sufficient background in differential equations, linear algebra and analysis by contrast and decent grades to back this up (well in light of the difficulty of the course I'm on at Warwick).

I'm wondering whether I'd be wasting my time applying to the likes of Warwick Business School (their alumni scholarship is quite generous and would suit me) and LSE for the financial mathematics programme.

Thanks for your advice in advance!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
Reply 2
Have you tried job application straight away yet? some big IBs offer great graduate schemes directly aim at math graduates and many of them including working in china for a year or two. Working experience would beat a degree easily when it comes to career progression IMHO.

Probability isn't all that important, actually. If you have a math background you shall not be worrying about that at all.

2:1 for LSE might not be enough though, all finance related program in LSE is hyper competitive, even the crappy ones. You should probably also consider CASS imperial and etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending