The Student Room Group

St Dominic's Sixth Form College 2014- 2015 thread

Poll

Do you want to go to St Doms?

Hi guys

Please share your views and opinions of this college on this thread I have applied here. When will we find out if we have got an interview? Whats the college like? Who else has applied?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by UltimateLad1
Hi guys

Please share your views and opinions of this college on this thread I have applied here. When will we find out if we have got an interview? Whats the college like? Who else has applied?

I went to St Dominic's.... Now second year undergrad at uni, but it was an amazing time! Usually responses are pretty early so probs around January or February... earlier than they used to be as the number of applicants has increased... You can always call in to ask about when they send out responses.
Original post by XavierMyshkin
I went to St Dominic's.... Now second year undergrad at uni, but it was an amazing time! Usually responses are pretty early so probs around January or February... earlier than they used to be as the number of applicants has increased... You can always call in to ask about when they send out responses.

Thanks a lot for the reply what predicted grades/GPA did you need to get a conditional/direct offer what was the atmosphere like?
Reply 3
As far as I know it depends on a persons' religion, since the school places priority on christians and more specifically catholics. They also place a priority on feeder schools, which means they can get in with B or C grades; Catholics will need A-B roughly and the rest A*-A if you aren't christian at all more likely to be closer to the A* bracket. These are rough generalisations. Whilst this doesn't send out the greatest of messages once you get in to the school it is a great place to be and very tolerant, good vibe in general, with lots of great opportunities.
(edited 9 years ago)
As far as I know it depends on a persons' religion, since the school places priority on christians and more specifically catholics. They also place a priority on feeder schools, which means they can get in with B or C grades; Catholics will need A-B roughly and the rest A*-A if you aren't christian at all more likely to be closer to the A* bracket. These are rough generalisations. Whilst this doesn't send out the greatest of messages once you get in to the school it is a great place to be and very tolerant, good vibe in general, with lots of great opportunities.

Wow would love to go there looked amazing on open day but which ones better st Doms or Woodhouse I would like to study
Maths
Physics
Economics
English Literature
Would 4A* in subjects you want to do and rest As get you in?
Reply 6
I'd be surprised if you didn't get in with those grades. I don't know too much about Woodhouse, but a lot of people i know chose Doms over Woodhouse. Our maths department is amazing; a lot friends did Economics and they felt they the Econ department was pretty great too... To be honest all the teachers I had there during my 2 years were fantastic... really really helped me develop academically.
I'd be surprised if you didn't get in with those grades. I don't know too much about Woodhouse, but a lot of people i know chose Doms over Woodhouse. Our maths department is amazing; a lot friends did Economics and they felt they the Econ department was pretty great too... To be honest all the teachers I had there during my 2 years were fantastic... really really helped me develop academically.

Sounds amazing hopefully I get in what was the protocol if you wanted to go home? If you have a free
Reply 8
Sounds amazing hopefully I get in what was the protocol if you wanted to go home? If you have a free

If you have a free period... you do whatever you want... The gate is open, you can just walk out; groups of friends usually go to restaurants/get food or go to Harrow St Anne's shopping centre etc... Some go library/ some play football or go gym or something like that .... It is really chilled out, but they make you work hard too. And given lots of people get good grades you always push yourself to do better
If you have a free period... you do whatever you want... The gate is open, you can just walk out; groups of friends usually go to restaurants/get food or go to Harrow St Anne's shopping centre etc... Some go library/ some play football or go gym or something like that .... It is really chilled out, but they make you work hard too. And given lots of people get good grades you always push yourself to do better

Wow sounds like a lot of freedom I just hope I get in ive sent the religious reference form off. What if you're struggling with a topic then can you go to the teachers and stuff?
Wow sounds like a lot of freedom I just hope I get in ive sent the religious reference form off. What if you're struggling with a topic then can you go to the teachers and stuff?

Yeaah. They have what are called "workshops", so each teacher in the department on different days will open up their room for anyone to come in and sit down to ask questions about things they are having problems with. You can go to them any time really, but "workshops" are official sessions.
Ive applied to this college, hopefully the teachers are as good as they say they are because ill be travelling an hour each morning haha.

My GPA: 7.6 however in the open day, the head did say that they only use your best 8 or 9 grades to find this GPA. In this case mine is 8.

This still doesnt guarantee me a space because I'm not Catholic which is sad.
Original post by YounesB
Ive applied to this college, hopefully the teachers are as good as they say they are because ill be travelling an hour each morning haha.

My GPA: 7.6 however in the open day, the head did say that they only use your best 8 or 9 grades to find this GPA. In this case mine is 8.

Wow sounds good! Didn't know that... is it that same with Woodhouse College?
Lol same I'm not Catholic either
Wow sounds good! Didn't know that... is it that same with Woodhouse College?
Lol same I'm not Catholic either

Not sure about woodhouse :smile:

whats your "gpa", what are you applying to study?

Do you have any idea when we will hear back from them after the deadline?
Original post by YounesB
Not sure about woodhouse :smile:

whats your "gpa", what are you applying to study?

Do you have any idea when we will hear back from them after the deadline?

Mines 7.4 not as good as yours lol

Maths
Physics
Economics
English Literature

Probably Mid February
you?
Mines 7.4 not as good as yours lol

Maths
Physics
Economics
English Literature

Probably Mid February
you?

Do you know anyone who goes there? I hope the teaching is as good as they say it is!

Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Spanish (and maybe economics aswell)

what do you want to study at uni?
Original post by YounesB

If your predicted GPA is 8 you will get in; I know lots of non-Catholics that got in with significantly lower GPA scores.
If your predicted GPA is 8 you will get in; I know lots of non-Catholics that got in with significantly lower GPA scores.

Great, do you study there at the moment?
Original post by YounesB
Do you know anyone who goes there? I hope the teaching is as good as they say it is!

Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Spanish (and maybe economics aswell)

what do you want to study at uni?

Sounds good

5 AS levels! Tough.

Economics

You?
Sounds good

5 AS levels! Tough.

Economics

You?

Medicine :smile:

Well have to see. if i feel the workload is too much Ill drop. Lets just focus on actually getting in haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending