The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Black Afro/Caribbean barber in Durham

Black applicant here, are there any black barbers in Durham?. CoolioBombastic needs to - No has to look fresh and needs a haircut once a week (afro hair needs regular maintenance and cut). I realise that this is stupid question considering the fact that Durham county is 99.9% white and there would only be a black barbershop if there were sizeable black population. So my next question is how far is Newcastle from Durham on train?.
(edited 9 years ago)
There aren't any in Durham that I know of. There are a few in Newcastle, and it's 15 minutes by train.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by CoolioBombastic
Black applicant here, are there any black barbers in Durham?. CoolioBombastic needs to - No has to look fresh and needs a haircut once a week (afro hair needs regular maintenance and cut). I realise that this is stupid question considering the fact that Durham county is 99.9% white and there would only be a black barbershop if there were sizeable black population. So my next question is how far is Newcastle from Durham on train?.

There are none in Durham, altho there's a turkish barber which recently opened with one of the guys there being able to pull off a half decent A/C haircut. I'd stick to London/wherever you live to be safe tho.

Newcastle is 10-15 mins by train, and a return ticket costs under a fiver if I remember correctly. Although there's probs a black barber shop there, I personally wasn't able to find one (for guys).
Hello Coolio

It's indeed Newcastle for minorities orientated hairdressing.
...yup- dead quick/frequent trains Durham-Newcastle.
Movement between one's college and the station= less great: its the opp end of the town to the Varsity.
ie its north west

The answer is twofold-
a bicycle, and
go to a Peninsular college (mid town)/or Hilde-Bede (north east town) (rather than a Hill Coll= southerly)
Reply 4
Has anyone experienced any racism at Durham? I'm an applicant for this year and tbh moving from the south to the north I really don't want to feel isolated.
Reply 5
Yo, 4 years later but yk how it be, did you find one?
Original post by CoolioBombastic

Quick Reply

Latest