The Student Room Group

face to face?

Do any of you have what we call "face to face" schemes in your unis?

In a nutshell, it's a big noticeboard where you fill in a little form and they pin it up. It allows you to offer the languages you speak to others (ie - English + any others if you're bilingual) and you can request languages you would like yourself. You give your email addy and people may contact you if they want you (and obviously you can email people if you want them..)

Have any of you done this?
I emailed an Arab guy for Arabic lol.. I'm meeting him next week.
Reply 1
I've never done that in this country but I did it on my year abroad in Spain last year...

I was paired up through uni in that case, although loads of people offered similar 'conversation exchanges' around the uni.

I might advertise for a Spanish Erasmus student to talk to this year, but there are Erasmus people in half my classes anyway so could just ask one of them to ask around.

I was probably quite lucky that I had loads in common with the girl I was paired with in Spain, and we're good friends now. I went to stay at her family home for carnival last year and I'm going back to stay with her for a fiesta next weekend :smile:

I definitely think this kind of exchange is a really positive thing, although obviously you have to take care to meet in a public place etc etc. They're a really good way to improve conversational skills in your target language, learn about other people's cultures and maybe even make new friends!

Lauren xxx

P.S. Just noticed you're from Blackburrrrrrn! I'm from the lovely Rozzerrrrrndayull valley!
Cunning Linguist
Do any of you have what we call "face to face" schemes in your unis?

In a nutshell, it's a big noticeboard where you fill in a little form and they pin it up. It allows you to offer the languages you speak to others (ie - English + any others if you're bilingual) and you can request languages you would like yourself. You give your email addy and people may contact you if they want you (and obviously you can email people if you want them..)

Have any of you done this?
I emailed an Arab guy for Arabic lol.. I'm meeting him next week.

Hmmmph I need a German but our face-to-face wall is full of English people :frown:

How can I make that silly yellow slip thing look pretty and therefore attract Germans ?!?! :P:
discombobulation
How can I make that silly yellow slip thing look pretty and therefore attract Germans ?!?! :P:
some girls have drawn stars and stuff in bright purple ink lol
Cunning Linguist
some girls have drawn stars and stuff in bright purple ink lol

Haha yeah i saw

I saw both yours as well - greedy avin two!!

Nice handwriting tho :p:

All the people are dead old, I got the e-mail addresses of two Italians heh, scared!
discombobulation
Haha yeah i saw

I saw both yours as well - greedy avin two!!

Nice handwriting tho :p:

All the people are dead old, I got the e-mail addresses of two Italians heh, scared!
haha ye.. The Arabic I put up because I'd like to learn Egyptian Arabic too for some reason (that's what's written in Arabic (Arabic - "MSA or Egyptian").. it's a nice dialect (but obviously MSA - modern standard arabic - is the more important one). The German one I put up because.. ye.. to keep it up lol.

Nice one for going for Italian!!
By the way.. if you chose a guy called Paolo, he's taken. (not saying he won't want two lol.. he might do) I *kind of* know him through that Italian girl in my Chinese class..
Cunning Linguist
haha ye.. The Arabic I put up because I'd like to learn Egyptian Arabic too for some reason (that's what's written in Arabic (Arabic - "MSA or Egyptian").. it's a nice dialect (but obviously MSA - modern standard arabic - is the more important one). The German one I put up because.. ye.. to keep it up lol.

Nice one for going for Italian!!
By the way.. if you chose a guy called Paolo, he's taken. (not saying he won't want two lol.. he might do) I *kind of* know him through that Italian girl in my Chinese class..

Hehe just TOO greedy! Have you had any responses?!?!

Nah I didn't go for Paolo, too old!! I was looking for someone youngish cause I don't wanna be TOO intimidated!
discombobulation
Hehe just TOO greedy! Have you had any responses?!?!

Nah I didn't go for Paolo, too old!! I was looking for someone youngish cause I don't wanna be TOO intimidated!
lol nope.. no responses. to be honest, i'm not *too* bothered because I know a few Germans anyway. and because of this Arab guy, that's the Arabic sorted (even if he isn't Egyptian lol)

Guten luck with the Italiano
We have a noticeboard where people can advertise for things like that as well, but the societies also run free conversation classes once a week in the evenings.
I have an Italian :biggrin: - hehe well kinda - I don't know what use I'll be to her so it prob aint much use...her english being perfect...hmph...
lol I met the Arab guy today - very cool fella. It was kinda weird tho.. we just kept running outta things to say! and about 90% of it was in English anyway.. my Arabic being SO beginners! But everytime that happened, I just asked him a random question about the different dialects of Arabic haha..

His English is not bad - not THAT good enough so he'd make me seem like an idiot, but not that bad - bad enough so I can point out common errors and stuff :p:

It was cool tho.. I just really need to think of things to ask him!! and it's brilliant because it's kinda incited me to "get a move on" with my Arabic!! I learnt some cool and useful words tho :cool:
Cunning Linguist
lol I met the Arab guy today - very cool fella. It was kinda weird tho.. we just kept running outta things to say! and about 90% of it was in English anyway.. my Arabic being SO beginners! But everytime that happened, I just asked him a random question about the different dialects of Arabic haha..

His English is not bad - not THAT good enough so he'd make me seem like an idiot, but not that bad - bad enough so I can point out common errors and stuff :p:

It was cool tho.. I just really need to think of things to ask him!! and it's brilliant because it's kinda incited me to "get a move on" with my Arabic!! I learnt some cool and useful words tho :cool:

sooooooo you gonna be meeting him again then??
discombobulation
sooooooo you gonna be meeting him again then??
ye every monday and wednesday i think at 4.. but his timetable is so full-on.. it's all a bit awkward lol. but ye, will be meeting him again.
Cunning Linguist
ye every monday and wednesday i think at 4.. but his timetable is so full-on.. it's all a bit awkward lol. but ye, will be meeting him again.

That's awesome!
How lucky r u :smile:
discombobulation
That's awesome!
How lucky r u :smile:
lol i guess.. the great thing is, I met another Arab (from Kuwait) through this guy, and he's doing Masters in Linguistics! Made another friend hehe :biggrin:
Cunning Linguist
lol i guess.. the great thing is, I met another Arab (from Kuwait) through this guy, and he's doing Masters in Linguistics! Made another friend hehe :biggrin:

:O i hate you and your luckiness :p:

everyone I meet is French...which isn't a bad thing but not overly useful!

where r u btw? lol
My Italian phoned me and I missed the call - how annoying...and I am FAR too shy to ring her back...hmph hope she rings back or something
She wanted to meet up tomorrow but I'm in from 10-5 - annoying
The societies meet in the evenings for general conversation like Kelly said but I'm probably going to do an exchange when I get round to it... I'd like to do a German one next year too. It sounds great fun!

Latest

Trending

Trending