The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In your situation I have voted love is enough.
Reply 2
a quote from american pie;

I think what they mean by making love is that you have to make love work
or something similar

and if you cant make it work, then are you sure it's true love?
Reply 3
fairycakes

Is lve enugh?

No, i think youl find you need an "o" as well. :biggrin:

On a more serious note, no, i don't believe it is. To have a fulfilling relationship you need love, trust, and friensdship. Unconditional love is not enough.
Reply 4
no i know bout the 'o' but my 'o' button is only working sometimes, which is really annoying!

also...but how much work should u put in...i mean how much is too much?

when should u give up and let it go??
Reply 5
fairycakes
no i know bout the 'o' but my 'o' button is only working sometimes, which is really annoying!

also...but how much work should u put in...i mean how much is too much?

when should u give up and let it go??

You've got loads of "o"s in that post!
Reply 6
yeah it's working again...i told u it is only sometimes...! it's really confusing me, cos i don't know why!

but anyway back to the topic!!
Reply 7
fairycakes
yeah it's working again...i told u it is only sometimes...! it's really confusing me, cos i don't know why!

but anyway back to the topic!!

How old are you?
Reply 8
why does it matter?, if it's relavent to the question....then i'm 20
Reply 9
fairycakes
why does it matter?, if it's relavent to the question....then i'm 20

Sorry I'm drunk. (Sleeping now)
Reply 10
okkkk....well can someone give me some actually useful adivce or experience??

thanku!!

xxxx
Reply 11
Love is one thing in a relationship.

What about things such as trust, respect?

And dont tell me that once you love someone, you trust and respect them. Thats not true. You need to have all three ingredients to make the relationship last longest.

So, just sit down one night and think over it. Is there trust in your relationship? Do you both respect each other as equals (i'm not talking about dominant and submissive here; i'm talking about status, wealth, "emotional baggage", "favours/sexual favours", etc)?

If you run into problems with these things, then there's a big "uh-oh" there.
Reply 12
If I loved someone but didn't think we were meant to be together, I would not stay in a relationship with them. It would ultimately lead to unhappiness.
Reply 13
fairycakes
what would u do if u loved somone, but u thought u weren't meant to be together?

should u stay together because u love each other, and it's hard to find, or should u try to find someone else that ure more compatible with, but there's no guarentees?

xxxx

Well surely there're reasons to believe why you weren't meant to be together. So going by those reasons, it would be best for both of you to split and find someone more compatible. And if you truly loved each other you would want the best for each other. Hence you would split up. You sacrifice yourself for the other person out of love. Forcing yourselves to be together would end in heartbreak or divorce, should you marry, cus if you're not compatible, you *will* split up one day. Better it be done out of love as opposed to out of hate and an utter inability to stand each other anymore. And if you know you're gonna split eventually, then it's only logical to give yourself more time to find someone who's actually suitable and split with the current guy as soon as you realise. What's the point of a dead-end relationship?

I think the options "Love is Enough" etc are rather naive. It depends on so many other factors.
Reply 14
There's an extent to which any relationship is going to nurture feelings of dissatisfaction and worries of incompatibility at times. If these can be worked through then great, but if these aren't just occasions and bad times, you should reconsider the relationship.
Reply 15
Oh love, love will tear us apart, again...
Reply 16
fairycakes
what would u do if u loved somone, but u thought u weren't meant to be together?

should u stay together because u love each other, and it's hard to find, or should u try to find someone else that ure more compatible with, but there's no guarentees?

xxxx

Sigh;

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments; love is not love
Which alters where it alteration finds
Or bends with the remover to remove, oh no:
It is an ever-fix'd mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken
It is the star to every wand'ring bark
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken
Love's not time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks
But bears it out, even to the edge of Doom

If this be error, and upon me proved
I ne'er writ, nor no man ever loved.

Or words to that effect. (It's been a while.)
Reply 17
Asking 'is love enough' is like saying 'I have a car, therefore I can drive'. So you got the basic thing that you need for driving, but you also need a licence, tax, MOT, insurance etc etc. Just because you have the basis for driving doesn't mean that you have everything you need to make your driving work.

If that didn't make sense, love is a good basis for a relationship, but for the relationship to really work, you must have trust, loyalty (did I even spell that right?! I'm having one of those days where words look 'wrong'. Anyway, I digress) respect, humour, etc etc. There's no point in saying I have love therefore I have a relationship if you don't have everything else.
Love won't stop you seeing past their flaws. A relationship requires trust, need, acceptance and more. Love is just one of many essentials. x
if that person didnt make me happy then love would not be enough. how could i stay with them knowing that i was damaging their happyness too?

it would all depend on the situation really.

Latest

Trending

Trending