The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally, I love Bath, but I wouldn't want to be a student there. That said, I think should apply to both and see if you get in first - if you only get into one of them, there won't be a problem!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
durham durham durham my friend. it has a stronger reputation that bath (although i'm not sure about your specific subject). however - both unis are at the opposite ends of the country. is being near to you family an important factor? if so - which uni are they nearest to?
As for reputation, durham is certainly stronger than bath for physics, and as i recall durham has recently jumped up a lot for maths as well.

I applied to both when I was a sixth former and i liked Durham better having visited them both (obviously). But it really is a thing that only you can decide.

With regard college choice, your first question should be: catered or self-catered? after that i don't think it really makes much difference to your overall experience of university.

If you want to know anything specifically about the physicsy side of the course then let me know and i will gladly answer any questions.
Reply 4
I had a friend doing Physics and Maths at Bath and he dropped out. Conclusion: choose Durham!! :biggrin:
It depends on what you want, Bath is a campus university, and Durham (well, the bailey at least) is in the middle of a city. I personally prefer the city style of university, especially with the collegiate system. If you want a nice place to live, then I'd suggest Durham - Bath is a lovely city, but the university isn't actually in it, it's a bus ride out. Both have their pros and cons, and you'll have to make up your own mind about what place you want to go, but if it's just statistics (along with lies and damn lies) that you want, Durham is higher up the league tables.
There's a guy on my corridor who turned down Cambridge for maths&physics. Fact. Hence I daresay the course must be rather good.....
This is a stupid place to ask people to recommend a university to you...obviously everyone is going to say Durham!

So,yes...I would say choose Durham....
It isn't that hard to be a bit objective is it, surely?
Reply 9
Itchynscratchy
It isn't that hard to be a bit objective is it, surely?

Not when you're a fresher.....oh the young ones. :p:
Becca
Not when you're a fresher.....oh the young ones. :p:

Ha had I been born 5 days earlier I could have been a 3rd year now!I am not 'young'!

In fact,I know someone who was born 7 days before me...she graduates next summer.
Reply 11
I got offers from Durham and Bath to study maths. I just liked the whole college system better and Durham as a city. Bath was nice too, but I didn't like how it was up a massive hill and out of town...
Christo
but I didn't like how it was up a massive hill and out of town...

and Durham doesnt have them? :smile:

But seriously as others have said, Durham has a better reputation overall and for physics (equal for maths)
Its a marginally nice city
Its actually situated in the city
Its collegiate, so you can choose the place/options you like (self catered etc.)
Got more character as a university
Reply 13
Durham has loads. But from town to Bath campus took like half an hour!
Durham has some hills, but not a massive valley between the city and the uni., unlike Bath. In Bath campus, you can see the town, at Durham colleges, you are inthe town, or within a few minutes walking distance.
Durham is also the last of the ancient universities. Win.
Reply 15
Itchynscratchy
With regard college choice, your first question should be: catered or self-catered? after that i don't think it really makes much difference to your overall experience of university.

Thing about that is, I originally thought I wanted to be catered. And when I first applied (2004), JB college didn't exist and I didn't know you could be self-catered at Cuth's (college choice was a pretty fast decision with very little forward planning). But when I realised I'd have to be catered, I was really peeved. I thought I'd much rather be self-catered. But now I'm here, I really like being catered - it's so easy just to slope down to the canteen at mealtimes without the bother of buying food and cooking it! There's also the social aspect of eating with a lot of different people. People told me all this before I arrived, but I didn't really believe them. However, I am now a catering convert. Catered!
Reply 16
chocolateflake99
Ha had I been born 5 days earlier I could have been a 3rd year now!I am not 'young'!

In fact,I know someone who was born 7 days before me...she graduates next summer.

Sorry, oh the OLD ones.....:confused: :rolleyes:

:p:

You are a lovely exception to the rule. :smile:
Reply 17
hi jelkin

When it comes to catering I was just thinking the same thing, I'd like to eat what and when I want.. But then again, I live with my parents right now, and sometimes it's heaven to come home to a ready meal:redface: hmm.. difficult choice..
Reply 18
I am at some position as you.I have already get email saying that I have get offer from Bath,but I still wait some news from Durham.
Jelkin
But when I realised I'd have to be catered, I was really peeved. I thought I'd much rather be self-catered. But now I'm here, I really like being catered - it's so easy just to slope down to the canteen at mealtimes without the bother of buying food and cooking it! There's also the social aspect of eating with a lot of different people. People told me all this before I arrived, but I didn't really believe them. However, I am now a catering convert. Catered!

Amen to that, It is such a hassel having to cook for yourself when you live out. Especially if you're a lazy arse like me. Can't wait till i am back in college next year and don't have to bother

Latest