The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi gyt35

we obviously have the same 'problem':smile: . I have an offer from Bath too, but I haven't applied to Durham yet.. Are you applying for maths and physics aswell?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
blablabla
hi jelkin

When it comes to catering I was just thinking the same thing, I'd like to eat what and when I want.. But then again, I live with my parents right now, and sometimes it's heaven to come home to a ready meal:redface: hmm.. difficult choice..

You still get choice over what to eat, it's just that there are only 3 or so choices (at HB, anyway). I'm really fussy but find that I generally quite like the food here! And if I don't, I just supplement my meal with CHIPS. [Belly's gonna get me.] Also, there is a kitchen on my floor for when/if I want to eat something different. I've never bothered yet though.
Reply 22
blablabla
Hi gyt35

we obviously have the same 'problem':smile: . I have an offer from Bath too, but I haven't applied to Durham yet.. Are you applying for maths and physics aswell?

I am applying for MATHS :biggrin:
I hate Physics:p:

Durham Durham Durham !!!:tsr2:
I hate physics too.
Steven, at least you're not eating ming...
Might I just say...catering is really killing me.I'm barely eating any of the meals and end up buying food anyway...the meals I do eat are bloody awful:frown:
Reply 25
We never said it would be nice...
I didn't say people said it would be nice...I just didn't expect it to be this bad:frown:I guess I'm just picky and too used to living on my own and eating what I want when I want it....not what people give me at set times.Pfft.
Reply 27
You'll eventually be institutionalised, so you automatically become hungry at 5.30pm and really want something to eat.
You need to trade off the convenience of catered food with the fact that at Durham it happens to be ming. Seriously, just eat stuff, anything, because if you don't then buying your own meals etc is prohibitively expensive.
Chips for four meals in a row. Nice healthy diet there, Mr. Chef. I'm sure he'd feed his own children that.
Mattmoy_2000
Steven, at least you're not eating ming...

Yes but i am such a lazy arse that i am barely eating at all.

arkbar
You'll eventually be institutionalised, so you automatically become hungry at 5.30pm and really want something to eat.

haha, that really is true actually
Reply 30
I love both these unis too, and i would be inclined to say that they are both equally reputable. I would say Baths course has fewer people applying per place than Durham, but Durham probably is a better course. If i were you, I would look at the modules in all the years so that you can think which you would prefer to study. Bath does have the benefit of the placement year which will make you look infinitely better post uni, however, Durham is a more lively city - I know many people at Bath who have to go to Bristol for a good night out. I also think that the collegiate system is really beneficial and you feel more welcome and make friends easier. Always go for a bailley college because you are in the city and they are really beautiful. These are University College, Hatfield, St Johns, St Cuths and St Chads. I would go for university college or 'castle', but this is a really oversubscribed college, as is Hatfield.
Good luck with your decision, bot unis are really good, but I would probably place my hopes on becoming a Durhamite!!!
Reply 31
HB food isn't ming! I quite like it.
Jelkin
HB food isn't ming! I quite like it.

ya must be kidding......its sooo naaaasty
Applying4Maths
There's a guy on my corridor who turned down Cambridge for maths&physics. Fact. Hence I daresay the course must be rather good.....

Are you sure ? Or perhaps the offer is too high that he thought he might not achieve it; and thus choosing Durham as firm ...:rolleyes:
Unlikely as Durhams Nat Sci offer is pretty much always AAA. Physics/theoretical physics is too.
psycho
Are you sure ? Or perhaps the offer is too high that he thought he might not achieve it; and thus choosing Durham as firm ...:rolleyes:

Yes I'm sure. :rolleyes:
He preferred the course at Durham, so he chose Durham. Simple as.
psycho

You know there is such a thing as an insurance choice, right?

Latest