The Student Room Group

Fernando Torres leaves Chelsea permanently

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by sr90
Scoring a last minute goal that sends your team through to the biggest game in world football

Posted from TSR Mobile

they were already through on away goals...
Original post by sr90
Scoring a last minute goal that sends your team through to the biggest game in world football, having been outplayed for 90 mins and down to 10 men... against the reigning champions and one of the best club sides ever?

Yeh I can't possibly see how that is a career highlight...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah what swirly said they were already through on away goals so technically he didn't send his team through

Yeah and what
Reply 42
Poor bloke. Glad we didn't re-sign him, though. Would have been farcical even by LFC standards.
I actually think he might do well at atletico
Reply 44
He'll struggle to get in the team, though. Pazzini was above him in the Milan pecking order.
Reply 45
Original post by 419
Reckon if we give Atletico Santi, they'd be open to swap for Turan. This makes zero sense on their behalf.

Torres can't be any more useless for them than Cerci, so in the absolutely worst case they swapped a useless player for another useless one and spend more on wages (not sure how those will be dealt with) while not suffering at all in terms of starting XI. That said, supposing that Torres will play in Villa's role, I can see him do better there (both than Cerci and before). The supporting striker role could be more complimentary to and less demanding from whatever is left of him, plus, past his peak or not, as a player type, he suits Atléti's/Cholo's football more than Cerci. Wages might be the biggest downside to it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by qua
Torres can't be any more useless for them than Cerci, so in the absolutely worst case they swapped a useless player for another useless one and spend more on wages (not sure how those will be dealt with) while not suffering at all in terms of starting XI. That said, supposing that Torres will play in Villa's role, I can see him do better there (both than Cerci and before). The supporting striker role could be more complimentary to and less demanding from whatever is left of him, plus, past his peak or not, as a player type, he suits Atléti's/Cholo's football more than Cerci. Wages might be the biggest downside to it.

I see this POV but, Cerci's situation is more positive that Nino's. He clearly has struggled to adapt to AM and Simeone's style (which doesn't bode well for him tbh) but in a new/ old environment, he can still perform to a decent level. Whereas, Torres is just in a hopeless situation and I don't see him ever getting into a decent level. He's been given ample of opportunity over the year to show sign but he hasn't.

I do agree that the situation is swapping one scrub for another but as it is now, Cerci> Torres and with the wages, AM could definitely have gotten more out of AC. If it wasn't for the emotional link Torres has with AM, I don't think they'd have done it.

AC won this deal for me.
BTW, I'm sure winning Spain their first of what would be 3 trophies, afer so much heartbreak for so long, and introducing an infamous era of football would be his highlight.
(edited 9 years ago)
Good. He was a waste of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
£50mil well spent, what an absolute flop that was. Feel sorry for the poor lad though, the way things just turned out.

Don't feel too sorry for him, he was probably making £10m a year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
He was unstoppable at his peak, of course, but his peak in the PL was SO short compared to that of his peers.

He had a sensational two years when he first joined Liverpool, but that longevity has been thrown under scrutiny by what has followed. There was a genuine debate as to who was the better player out of Drogba and Torres in another thread - and I'd back Drogba every time based on the fact he is STILL making an impact for Chelsea even after all these years.

Torres' pace was fierce, and he had a real hunger to succeed at the start, but Chelsea didn't suit him and he was injury blighted before he moved anyway.

Hope he finds some solace in returning to his boyhood club - but his international days are long gone.

Quick Reply

Latest