The Student Room Group

PSYA3 - Aggression topic help

Hi, i'm really confused about where the institutional aggression part fits in. Where would I mention it in an essay?

Same situation for Group displays of aggression, where does it fit in, in essay terms?

Thanks!
Institutional can be linked to deindividuation and zimbardo i I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Watch this ted talk by zimbardo called 'the psychology of evil' it gives a really good overview of deindividuation and his studies

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe institutional aggression and group displays will be essays separately, so for institutional will be the importation model and deprivation model for an essay and group displays would be like for aggression or sports or in battle or something along those lines :smile:
Reply 4
Institutional agression is a form of social influence! So if you get an essay question stating 'outline and evaluate one/or more social influences of aggression' you can use, institutional aggression, and/or deindividuation and/or social learning theory by Banduro! Hope this helps! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Whereas Group display of aggression is a form of the Evolutionary approach. You can specify it into, sport display of group aggression, or warfare display of group aggression. Use it if the exam asks 'outline and evaluate groups display of aggression' or 'evolutionary aspects of aggression'
Original post by JustBeing
Hi, i'm really confused about where the institutional aggression part fits in. Where would I mention it in an essay?

Same situation for Group displays of aggression, where does it fit in, in essay terms?

Thanks!

Here's my essay structure for institutional aggression..

A01 : Briefly explain the forms in which institutional aggression takes (i.e prisons or schools).
Outline the Importation Model by Irwin and Cressey

A02 : Research to support the importation model - Harer and Steffenmeiser(1996)

A03 : Research into institutional aggression can be accused of gender bias. The research is focused exclusively on male prisoners.

A02 : Further supporting research for the importation model - Baskin et al (1991)

A02 : Research to contradict. Delisi et al (2004) study of over 800 males found that there was no evidence that membership of a violent gang prior to imprisonment would result in increased levels of violence.

A03 : Methodological problems - It is difficult to conduct research and draw firm conclusions, Light et al found that 25% of prison assaults had no apparent reason behind them and Goffman et al reported that prisoners often tried to hide their reasons behind aggressive actions.

A01 : Outline the Deprivation model by Sykes

A02 : Research to support the deprivation model by McCorkle et al (1995)

A03 : However, the model ignores the role of free will and that people have the ability of conscious thought in managing their behaviour. The deprivation model assumes aggression is made likely with personality factors predisposing individuals to violent behaviour, however this isnt always the case.

A02 : Research ti contradict the deprivation model - Poole and Regoli (1983)

I hope this helps :smile:

P.S. You only need 2 IDA (A03) points for an A grade so you can pick and choose from the above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending