The Student Room Group

Favourite moment as a fan?

What strikes you as your favourite moment of supporting your beloved football team?

I'm expecting a few :facepalm: looks when I say I'm a big Cardiff City (Bluebird) fan, but they're my childhood club and you stick by them.

We're the only team to have lost in the finals in Wembley of the FA Cup, Carling Cup and Play Off Finals, so with that, and our current battle between the red and blue kits, it's been a bumpy ride!

Despite this, I do have some fond memories. I've always loved supporting football and as a kid, they were great days out with my dad (12 years later, we're off to watch Watford tomorrow!), and the atmosphere was exciting. I also loved visiting places like Stamford Bridge and the Emirates when we were a bottom of the championship club - showed off our singing; we were a lot louder!

I think for me, my favourite moment as a Cardiff City fan was Michael Chopra's very late winner against Swansea - the atmosphere was incredible. Swansea are doing a lot lot better than Cardiff at the moment, and it's great to see a Welsh club in the Premier League, but this was an incredible day!!

I used to love the games in the Ninian Park too though, where the atmosphere was so much better than the new stadium.

So, what do you guys count as your greatest moment in supporting your football club? What do you love about following your team?

I often tweet about sport, @Bethphill_ on twitter :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

League Cup finals of 94 and 96 when we beat Manchester United then Leeds United respectively. Any Birmingham derby victory we've had especially the 5-1 massacre in 2008 and the Gary Cahill goal. The other derby victories over West Brom and Wolves especially Hitzelsperger's screamer to beat the Albion in the last minute back in 2002 and Robbie Keane's two blistering strikes against Wolves. Also beating Inter Milan on penalties deserves a mention back in 1994. Beating Sunderland 6-1 after Di Canio opened his mouth and said we were easy to play against. The two goal comeback against Arsenal back in 1998 when Dion Dublin scored twice. Being in the Holte End when we beat Liverpool 1-0 back in 2011 but being more interested in whether Birmingham were gonna get relegated that day, more of the fact that the Holte End was absolutely rocking that day.

I was only 3 months old when we won the European Cup but I thought i'd least mention that.
Latest would be gerrard slip. Tbh Gerrard slip = Terry slip.
Real Madrid winning La Decima!
As an Evertonian,I'd say winning 3-0 against Arsenal!(I started supporting Everton last season).Amazing match!
Original post by Rock Fan
League Cup finals of 94 and 96 when we beat Manchester United then Leeds United respectively.

I don't remember '94 but remember the aftermath of '96. Remember the media and family buzzing about it and I got a commemorative football of our Coca Cola Cup win.

Recently beating Arsenal 3-1 at their own ground after a great summer w/ transfers and contracts was quality. I felt like we were 'back' and about to compete for a place in Europe and then world domination. I was banned during that week, I'd have had such a field day on here wumming people. The 2-0 around 2008 was good, Gabby racing away and smashing the ball in :cool:

That 6-1 was great too, we really need to win that. Big Ben was unstoppable that night. To be fair to Lambert he's pulled some results out the bag when we have been under immense pressure.
Reply 6
QPR fan (apologies to the cardiff fan - I know we don't exactly get on :tongue: ) and it has to be the 2 play off finals - 2003 v cardiff (lost 1-0) and 2014 v derby (won 1-0), plus 3-2 wins against leicester (2004) and west brom (2014), both from 2-0 down. Even the 3-2 loss to liverpool this year was great. Supporting QPR isn't exactly dull :cool:
Where do I start, I still supported Bradford in the Premiership but went to very little games as I was quite young. But my most favourite memory has to be the Wembley season and beating Arsenal at the quarter finals of the Cup was orgasmic absolutely incredible, atmosphere was great then comes Aston Villa again really enjoyed the match and the great banter between the two sides. Then comes the cup final, what a day out ! At Wembley with Bradford most 'glory hunters' go for the likes of Manchester united's cup final but I went with my beloved team, I could see we lost after Swansea's second goal but didnt believe still stood and chanted and so did the rest of the Bradford fans.

Then once you think its all over, back in the play offs beating Burton away, then back at Wembley !!! After that must be beating Leeds, to us our biggest rivals. What a game that was Leeds being one nil up, then 5 mins later Bradford take the lead. Great atmosphere and funny banter between both sets of fans.

Reply 8
Original post by BethhPhill
What strikes you as your favourite moment of supporting your beloved football team?

I'm expecting a few :facepalm: looks when I say I'm a big Cardiff City (Bluebird) fan, but they're my childhood club and you stick by them.

We're the only team to have lost in the finals in Wembley of the FA Cup, Carling Cup and Play Off Finals, so with that, and our current battle between the red and blue kits, it's been a bumpy ride!

I think for me, my favourite moment as a Cardiff City fan was Michael Chopra's very late winner against Swansea - the atmosphere was incredible. Swansea are doing a lot lot better than Cardiff at the moment, and it's great to see a Welsh club in the Premier League, but this was an incredible day!!

As a fellow CCFC supporter; I miss the likes of Chopra and Ledley, etc.

I've always thought that due to how Cardiff was the capital of Wales; Swansea should hand over their best players to us. I would love it if the two clubs would somehow combine, with Bony playing alongside Jones, for example :awesome:.

It is a shame how Swansea are doing relatively well, while Cardiff are bouncing around the middle of their table.

Best moment- Cardiff's first ever 2013 /14 Premier League game. The first 'high profile' game for them since 1960.
Reply 9
Original post by bigmac26
QPR fan (apologies to the cardiff fan - I know we don't exactly get on :tongue: ) and it has to be the 2 play off finals - 2003 v cardiff (lost 1-0) and 2014 v derby (won 1-0), plus 3-2 wins against leicester (2004) and west brom (2014), both from 2-0 down. Even the 3-2 loss to liverpool this year was great. Supporting QPR isn't exactly dull :cool:

Excuse me, friend, can we have our Cardiff players back?
Reply 10
Istanbul.

Nothing will ever compare - unless England win a World Cup, which I can't see.
Well, it has to be Istanbul, doesn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Obiejess
Well, it has to be Istanbul, doesn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say the semi against Chelsea runs it close, too. Going up against an outfit that strong and having the defensive capacity to neutralise them was brilliant. Seeing players like Traore, Baros, Smicer and Dudek play above the sum of their parts was extraordinary. 2005 was such a pleasure.

That and the Ashes victory - what a summer.
Original post by Mackay
I'd say the semi against Chelsea runs it close, too. Going up against an outfit that strong and having the defensive capacity to neutralise them was brilliant. Seeing players like Traore, Baros, Smicer and Dudek play above the sum of their parts was extraordinary. 2005 was such a pleasure.

That and the Ashes victory - what a summer.

I was only 6 haha. But I still remember crying at Istanbul and screaming with joy when it hit 3-3.

And obviously I've watched it hundreds of times online since.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I was only 6 haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes me feel very old.

Man, I need to leave TSR.
Original post by Mackay
That makes me feel very old.

Man, I need to leave TSR.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

24 - so I was 15 during Istanbul!
Original post by Mackay
24 - so I was 15 during Istanbul!

That's not old.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
That's not old.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Appreciated.
Reply 19
Original post by Davalla
As a fellow CCFC supporter; I miss the likes of Chopra and Ledley, etc.

I've always thought that due to how Cardiff was the capital of Wales; Swansea should hand over their best players to us. I would love it if the two clubs would somehow combine, with Bony playing alongside Jones, for example :awesome:.

It is a shame how Swansea are doing relatively well, while Cardiff are bouncing around the middle of their table.

Best moment- Cardiff's first ever 2013 /14 Premier League game. The first 'high profile' game for them since 1960.

Haha, for me, it's just having our identity back.
I'd rather be playing in League 2, or even non-league football and have our blue kit and badge back.

At first I was lenient with Tan's money and contribution, but after coming home from a 4-1 defeat to Watford today and seeing the change in atmosphere where there's no desire and passion - it's a nightmare!

I can't associate myself too much with Swansea, I like the rivalry there, I couldn't merge a team!!!! But, I think it's great another South Wales club are doing well and remaining stable in the Premier League.

And yep, QPR nicked all our players :P

Quick Reply

Latest