The Student Room Group

My Theory of God

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xylas
So if these are just ideas based on your thoughts and you acknowledge they are most likely wrong, does it bother you that your theory is flawed? How much effort would you go through to improve it? Why do you choose not to go with the status quo which is more likely to be correct? Is the main reason you don't want to acknowledge existing theories of God because you don't want to be told what to do? If that is the case, the correctness of the theory means nothing to you, you just don't want to believe in a theory which restricts your current way of life...

Obviously an individual can belief in a theology of God coming from a philosophy of religion which indicates that there is a God and not need to abide by any of the demands of organised religion itself.
Original post by Zeetingman
I agree with you 100%. I define God as a superbeing, you're right he probably isn't how most people see him as. I probably can't give my opinion of Heaven and Hell. But if I could it would probably mirror my hell theory. I'm kind of a mixer...I believe in re-incarnation a little bit. I just think its much more believeable espically with the evidence and stories ive read. Solving this God issue won't really prove anything...tbh we will never solve this puzzle because of our lack of understanding were dealing with a superbeing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd love to see what this so called "evidence".

Have you ever wondered why science doesn't spend money trying to find evidence for ghosts, vampires, demons and the like? It's because there is nothing to suggest they exist.

The god we've depicted for ourselves is above everything else. He is omniscient, omnipotent, self-reliant but why must an entity have these attributes to be called a god?

Would the creator of the universe still be classed as a god if he didn't have the above attributes? As far as I know the universe makes a great god and here is why.

[✓] The universe created itself or has always existed
[✓] The universe is self reliant
[✓] The universe creates and doesn't "get involved"
[✓] The universe is almost certainly infinite in volume (the universe is everything)

This topic will always serve as nothing more than a fun thing to think about but the reality is, god almost certainly doesn't exist. Throughout history when we didn't know the answer to something,
we invented a god as an answer.

The creation of the universe is just another god waiting to be disproved although I'm sceptical whether this can happen within mankind's lifetime.
(edited 9 years ago)
I agree with your final point. However I disagree with the universe creating itself. I believe that God created the universe however as you said I think mankind has added attributes to God. I think God is a creator nothing more nothing less.
I agree with your final point. However I disagree with the universe creating itself. I believe that God created the universe however as you said I think mankind has added attributes to God. I think God is a creator nothing more nothing less.

So you believe god is eternal and has always existed right?

Why can't the energy of the universe be eternal and have always existed? Which not only makes more sense but it's also backed by the 1st law of thermodynamics.

The god really is just an unnecessary variable. The universe does everything you're god does and it's backed by at least 1 law.
Reply 44
Original post by TorpidPhil
Obviously an individual can belief in a theology of God coming from a philosophy of religion which indicates that there is a God and not need to abide by any of the demands of organised religion itself.

If I understand your post well enough (theology of God doesn't make sense - did u mean theosophy? - likewise there is not more than one philosophy of religion but there are multiple religions) all you are doing is making a point without explanation.

I didn't ask you in particular but if you want you can answer the questions I posted to Zeetingman.
Reply 45
Christians believe this too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well no that's not true.

For example, christians definitely believe that God has "expectations". The main one is to love God, and the next one is to love others as much as you love yourself. Now to be able to do both of these, you also need to "have faith" in Jesus, so right off the bat, those are just three expectations the Christian God has.

I would be interested to find out how you came to have your beliefs. Why do you believe there is a God? Why do you believe God exists outside of time?
(edited 9 years ago)
I'll answer you're questions now...it's a pain typing on android phones :/
Tbh this theory came to me while answering another thread. I don't really read other theories about God. I just really don't like the idea of a creator having rules set out that we have to follow and that we have to worship this creator. It just makes life seem useless this God could easily just program us all to worship him if he wants it makes the idea of God less understandable. I would develop my theory, right now I'm lacking in evidence. If there are theories similar to mine i'll look into them!
The outside of time thing came after I watched a video on Youtube about Steven Hawkings saying that God couldn't have created the universe. I can't remember exactly what he said but it was something like there wasn't enough time for God to create the universe.
Reply 49
Original post by KeepYourChinUp
I'd love to see what this so called "evidence".

Have you ever wondered why science doesn't spend money trying to find evidence for ghosts, vampires, demons and the like? It's because there is nothing to suggest they exist.

The god we've depicted for ourselves is above everything else. He is omniscient, omnipotent, self-reliant but why must an entity have these attributes to be called a god?

Would the creator of the universe still be classed as a god if he didn't have the above attributes? As far as I know the universe makes a great god and here is why.

[✓] The universe created itself or has always existed
[✓] The universe is self reliant
[✓] The universe creates and doesn't "get involved"
[✓] The universe is almost certainly infinite in volume (the universe is everything)

This topic will always serve as nothing more than a fun thing to think about but the reality is, god almost certainly doesn't exist. Throughout history when we didn't know the answer to something,
we invented a god as an answer.

The creation of the universe is just another god waiting to be disproved although I'm sceptical whether this can happen within mankind's lifetime.

You say all these things, but how can you definitively say "god almost certainly doesn't exist"? That doesn't make sense. It suggests that you've calculated the probability of the existence of a god. How do you quantify the factors involved in the "probability" of the existence of god? How can you disprove god? Especially as we don't understand all the things that make up our world. We're kinda clueless really, in the grand scale of things. I think you're being naive. You assume that the scientific viewpoint is the wisest and only rational one, yet, fail to recognise the fact that it doesn't answer all questions, and religious viewpoints can be perfectly logical/rational as well.

Nobody has "proven" (here I'm using your scientific definition of proof) either that the world/universe created itself or that it has always existed. Nobody has proven that. How could anybody prove that? And sure, academics don't really spend their lives trying to prove/disprove god - I think that's because it's not possible to do this (again, this is assuming proof is solely scientific - I don't actually think this). Another reason why is because there's no obvious profit/benefit in these pursuits. People are meant to research things that are actually useful to us, and have an achievable outcome. Why bother trying to disprove god - it's not possible.
Reply 50
Tbh this theory came to me while answering another thread. I don't really read other theories about God. I just really don't like the idea of a creator having rules set out that we have to follow and that we have to worship this creator. It just makes life seem useless this God could easily just program us all to worship him if he wants it makes the idea of God less understandable. I would develop my theory, right now I'm lacking in evidence. If there are theories similar to mine i'll look into them!

But don't you think that it's about what is the truth, not what you do or don't like the sound of? Either there is a creator who made a load of laws, or there isn't. Don't you think reality is nothing to do with what you like or don't like? For example, human suffering is not something anybody likes, but it's happening in our world right now, isn't it?

God potentially could program everybody to worship him. But if we're specifically talking about the God in the bible, it talks about this concept of "free will". According to the bible, people can make their own decisions, people do always have a way out of sin. This is kind of the basis of our justice system if you think about it. People may have inherited or socially acquired tendencies to crime, but they still make a decision to commit the crime. The act of punishing people for crime assumes that our decisions are not solely the result of genetic and environmental factors. Whether justice/vindication should be one of the aims of justice systems is debatable, but that's what popular opinion says.
Original post by xylas
If I understand your post well enough (theology of God doesn't make sense - did u mean theosophy? - likewise there is not more than one philosophy of religion but there are multiple religions) all you are doing is making a point without explanation.

I didn't ask you in particular but if you want you can answer the questions I posted to Zeetingman.

I meant one ideology stemming from philosophy of religion and yes I mean a theosophy of God too.

I just thought your probing of the OPs points was a bit off-point, they could believe all that they do for reasons of probability and not because "they don't like it" or they "don't want to" follow a particular religion. At the end of the day there is no rational way to get from any theosophy to an organised religion because that would require scripture and belief in religious scripture is innately irrational.
You know how according to Saussure every sign has a signifier and the signifed?

I'm no expert so I'll take an example used by http://visual-memory.co.uk/daniel/Documents/S4B/sem02.html

Signifier: The word 'Open' in a shop window.
Signified: The shop is open for business.

Perhaps we are intended to work out what kind of sign or signs to be in life.
Sometimes we are a sign ourself, sometimes we are responding to other signs.

The bare minimum we end up doing in life is being a sign ourself.

And that is all God or nature seems to, at bare minimum, require of us. Apart from legal signs such as red lights at a crossroads, we don't HAVE to respond to signs by demonstrators telling us what their view is any more than we have to respond to the silent wishes of a hermit.

We don't HAVE to respond to charity appeals by multi million pound ad agencies working on behalf of £100,000 earning chief executives tugging at what they perceive to be out stereotypical heartstrings. Nor perhaps should we. Not because of the cause but because of the sincerity of the methodology.

This would seem partly spiritual. It goes beyond consumerism. No consumer ever has to think what kind of sign they are themselves- all they have to do at minimum is to... consume. Parasitically at the minimum.

If you were born in to a billionaire family that was generous to you perhaps you could afford to spend the rest of your life never working.

But unless you decide on what kind of sign or signs to be in life - or unless your way of being is so far in one direction that other people make that decision for you regardless- you will be used by people less like a sign and more like a tourist information centre (of knowledge but not necessarily any moral authority).

If there's a God, God would want you to be used as not just a tourist information centre but also as a sign.

If you're not 'out there' as a sign (and it doesn't have to be in a business sense or in term of having your own webpage) then hopefully you're at least a sign in your own house.
(edited 9 years ago)
I believe in God because I think Science is trying to hard to prove that there isn't a God. So this leads me onto believe there must be a God if Scientists want to prove so badly that there isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

God. You believe in God because you lack basic intellect and are ignorant. Science is disproving anything. There isn't a need to disprove something, it has to be proved...

Not to mention, science does NOT want to disprove God. It wants to explain the world and the universe. Has nothing to do with God.
Reply 54
I meant one ideology stemming from philosophy of religion and yes I mean a theosophy of God too.

I just thought your probing of the OPs points was a bit off-point, they could believe all that they do for reasons of probability and not because "they don't like it" or they "don't want to" follow a particular religion. At the end of the day there is no rational way to get from any theosophy to an organised religion because that would require scripture and belief in religious scripture is innately irrational.

Can you explain the bit underlined? Your last point is fair actually but still that doesn't make a theosophy more likely to be correct just because of the absence of scripture.
I just wanted to share my point of view on God.
I believe that God is real but not on the scale that the media portrays him as. God isn't a bearded man in the sky pointing to things. I believe that God doesn't have an appearance. God is everywhere and we live through him. God lives outside of time not physically however he created basic time day/night humans made it more complex. I don't believe that God has any expectations, I believe he is just there keeping the universe together. Abit like a lightbulb. We've got to get out of this habit of thinking God is a physical being. Anyway that's all I wanted to say. Any questions? Just post it i'll get to it. If you disagree post that as well!

In the end doesn't this boil down to there is no God? If there's no personality to 'him'. It sounds like you're describing a physics concept like the gravitational constant.
Nope not at all. I'm trying to point out that there is a creator but it doesn't have the qualaties people say it has...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pride
You say all these things, but how can you definitively say "god almost certainly doesn't exist"? That doesn't make sense. It suggests that you've calculated the probability of the existence of a god. How do you quantify the factors involved in the "probability" of the existence of god? How can you disprove god? Especially as we don't understand all the things that make up our world. We're kinda clueless really, in the grand scale of things. I think you're being naive. You assume that the scientific viewpoint is the wisest and only rational one, yet, fail to recognise the fact that it doesn't answer all questions, and religious viewpoints can be perfectly logical/rational as well.

Nobody has "proven" (here I'm using your scientific definition of proof) either that the world/universe created itself or that it has always existed. Nobody has proven that. How could anybody prove that? And sure, academics don't really spend their lives trying to prove/disprove god - I think that's because it's not possible to do this (again, this is assuming proof is solely scientific - I don't actually think this). Another reason why is because there's no obvious profit/benefit in these pursuits. People are meant to research things that are actually useful to us, and have an achievable outcome. Why bother trying to disprove god - it's not possible.

Our entire universe is built on physical laws, everything and everyone obeys the same laws. The reason I say god almost certainly doesn't exist is because there is absolutely zero scientific evidence to support it, the same why I will say vampires almost certainly don't exist.

You're probably going to reply with "but the scientific approach isn't the only way to look at it" well actually yes it is. When 100% of our lives, technology, biology, chemistry and everything we know to be true is founded on science, science is the only reliable approach we have.

Obviously I can't say that god doesn't exist but I don't know... it would be stupid for me to say that but I can say with 99.9% certainty that god doesn't exist because everything we know to be true tells us that it's impossible.

Science has produced answers to some extremely complicated stuff and so far it's the only accurate method for proving / disproving things.

He said that she said that he saw a ghost just isn't reliable. The same can be said when people say they've spoke to god. It's just ludicrous.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by xylas
Can you explain the bit underlined? Your last point is fair actually but still that doesn't make a theosophy more likely to be correct just because of the absence of scripture.

They could believe in a concept of god similar to the abrahamic one because they think statistically such is the most likely to be true given everything we know about the world. Essentially their philosophising leads them to believe in a theistic god. Still doesn't mean any religion would look particularly more attractive than any other and that's good reason in itself to reject all religions.
Reply 59
They could believe in a concept of god similar to the abrahamic one because they think statistically such is the most likely to be true given everything we know about the world. Essentially their philosophising would lead them to believe in a theistic god. Still that wouldn't[sic] mean any religion would look particularly more attractive than any other and that's good reason in itself to reject all religions.

You are speaking from conjecture and not from logic. Instead of what 'could' be the case what actually is? Why would someone think that a theistic God is more likely but reject religion?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending