The Student Room Group

How did btec students cope with uni exams

How much of a jump was it? Did you find it hard and how did you cope?
I done a BTEC then moved to uni. You'll find that you do well with coursework and exams you'll struggle a little (well that was my case). I'd say try and get the best in your coursework then if you don't do too well in the exams at least your overall won't be too bad. In terms of exams it's the revision that I found difficult (I didn't have a set method already), I found making precise notes helpful and not overcrowding things. It does get easier though!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Bubble_10
I done a BTEC then moved to uni. You'll find that you do well with coursework and exams you'll struggle a little (well that was my case). I'd say try and get the best in your coursework then if you don't do too well in the exams at least your overall won't be too bad. In terms of exams it's the revision that I found difficult (I didn't have a set method already), I found making precise notes helpful and not overcrowding things. It does get easier though!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

When were your exams, in may or split in January and May? I like Leeds and Birmingham uni who have given me offers but Birmingham is 94% exams first year where as Leeds is 77% which is stressing me out now.

Also what course are you studying?
Reply 3
I don't really see much of a difference, I did IT BTEC and now study CompSci I have got firsts in all my coursework pieces and in the 2 exams(although they don't count yet) I got 85% and 67.5% its just a case of applying the same knowledge in a different way
Reply 4
Original post by yt7777
I don't really see much of a difference, I did IT BTEC and now study CompSci I have got firsts in all my coursework pieces and in the 2 exams(although they don't count yet) I got 85% and 67.5% its just a case of applying the same knowledge in a different way

How much % is exams and c.w in your course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by rkhan57
How much % is exams and c.w in your course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

70 exam
30 cw
Reply 6
Original post by yt7777
70 exam
30 cw

Are the exams split in january and may or they they all in may?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by rkhan57
Are the exams split in january and may or they they all in may?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah April/May
Reply 8
Original post by yt7777
Yeah April/May

Sorry last question but you said your course is 70% exam but is this overall within the 3 years or just the first year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by rkhan57
Sorry last question but you said your course is 70% exam but is this overall within the 3 years or just the first year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Overall for 3 years
Reply 10
Okay thanks so how much % exams was 1st year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did one BTEC at A-Level, but 2 other A-Levels.

Didn't struggle with the exams in all honesty. And if anything the coursework from my BTEC helped me when it came to writing essays.
Original post by rkhan57
When were your exams, in may or split in January and May? I like Leeds and Birmingham uni who have given me offers but Birmingham is 94% exams first year where as Leeds is 77% which is stressing me out now.

Also what course are you studying?

I had May exams but it depends on your course. I do sports science. I wouldn't worry about the exams you'll have to do them at some point in uni. Just revise, work hard and you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did a BTEC in Agriculture. I am now doing Rural Property Management which is about 70% exams, I don't struggle with either exams or the coursework.

To answer the rest of your questions, the exams are split between pre-Christmas and summer in the first year and then they go to just exams in the summer.

Quick Reply

Latest