The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you or your surroundings still view homosexual males as feminine?

When you hear the word gay or if you saw a gay person who happens to be male, would you or the people you know perceive them as being feminine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I like to think I'm evolved and civilized to know that everyone is different and I understand that the whole gay = feminine is nothing but bull****.

But then you see guys that are just so flamboyant and all that comes back. You just can't help but that they are overly feminine and/or it's all an act for attention, just like a lassie would do.

*shrugs*
Reply 2
Eh, everyone's different. Some gay guys are flamboyant, some straight guys are. Some gay guys are macho, some straight guys are. Whatever.
Most gay guys ARE feminine.
Reply 4
Yup femininity comes to mind first
Reply 5
Original post by tricky jj

That's not even close to being true.
Original post by tricky jj

From the gay people I know, this is true
Reply 7
When I first hear the word gay, I don't think feminine.

Of the gay people I've known in my life, which isn't many, they have all been feminine in some way, some more than others.

It doesn't matter what people think anyway. If you live your life worrying about that you'll get nowhere
Original post by AstroNandos
From the gay people I know, this is true

Inb4 "nice sample size".
From my personal experience, most of them are loud, feminine and make an attempt to be incredibly conspicuous at every social gathering
you don't even know the stories my brother told me, my brother is a real gay, who lives the gay lifestyle, you'd be surprised what gays start to say when they are drinking and hanging out together, my brother is a real gay and he told me some of these stories, only gays could know
Reply 11
Do you think there's a correlation between bullying with being feminine and gay, or is it just being a gay person that causes the bullying?
Generally speaking they are.
I can only assume that not many people in this thread have been to a traditional gay bar, where the testosterone drips from the ceiling. Or have any experience of online gay dating, where two of the most common statements on a profile is "no feminine guys" or "straight acting only".

The more flamboyant, feminine acting gay men are the ones that get noticed, so people assume that they are representative of the majority. In reality, most gay men don't conform to such stereotypes.
Reply 14
I view them as someone not to trust.
Reply 15
When someone says gay, I don't think feminine. But when if a guy is feminine, gay is in my thought process. Yeh, it's kinda weird.
Original post by fofo5
I view them as someone not to trust.

Would you have trusted Alan Turing?
Reply 17
Original post by Viceroy
Would you have trusted Alan Turing?

No.
Original post by fofo5
No.

Makes a lot of sense. He won the war, but because he likes men, he can't be trusted.

Yep.
Most openly gay men in media/celebosphere are camp. Perhaps in the words of Maggie from Extras, ordinary gays could ask them to "tone it down a wee bit." 😊
I don't see a problem either way personally.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest