The Student Room Group

My little brother is 4 and still is not potty trained AMA

My little brother is now 4 years old and still wears nappies. My parents have not really tried to train him imo.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Brann
My little brother is now 4 years old and still wears nappies. My parents have not really tried to train him imo.

o.O unless it's a medical reason, surely that hampers the kid's development?
Reply 2
Original post by Gjaykay
o.O unless it's a medical reason, surely that hampers the kid's development?

That is what I am worried about. No other children his age wear them (unless their is a medical condition). What if he is still in them when he starts school next year. I know some kids are faster than others but a 4 year old shouldn't wear nappies.
This isn't really an "AMA" type of thread, you seem to be wanting advice more than anything.

You're right, a 4 year old shouldn't be in nappies unless there's a medical condition. Your parents are just being lazy. Not sure there's more you can do other than tell them so, or train the kid yourself (even though you shouldn't have to, it's not your responsibility).
Reply 4
Original post by Brann
That is what I am worried about. No other children his age wear them (unless their is a medical condition). What if he is still in them when he starts school next year. I know some kids are faster than others but a 4 year old shouldn't wear nappies.

You're gonna have to do it yourself, else he'll be mercilessly mocked. It'll be hell for him.
Why won't your parents potty-train him? This is slightly worrying. At the end of the day it's their problem not yours.
Reply 6
have you taken him to see someone or attempted to train him yourself? This is something that needs to be sorted out asap
Reply 7
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Why won't your parents potty-train him? This is slightly worrying. At the end of the day it's their problem not yours.

They tried to but gave up because "he wasn't ready". They don't seem to get that he has been ready its just he doesn't want to so its a bit more difficult to train, but not impossible. They both work but so do lots of parents. I k ow it is their problem but I am worried that he will not get a normal childhood. It is also embarrassing! Nappies are cute on babies and toddlers. A 4 year old is a young child and people just look at him funny when they see he has a nappy on. Also changing him is really annoying. I feel like I might have to train him myself as others have suggested.
Reply 8
Original post by Brann

I wore a nappy at 4 years but only at night (bed wetter)
Original post by Brann
They tried to but gave up because "he wasn't ready". They don't seem to get that he has been ready its just he doesn't want to so its a bit more difficult to train, but not impossible. They both work but so do lots of parents. I k ow it is their problem but I am worried that he will not get a normal childhood. It is also embarrassing! Nappies are cute on babies and toddlers. A 4 year old is a young child and people just look at him funny when they see he has a nappy on. Also changing him is really annoying. I feel like I might have to train him myself as others have suggested.

Okay I see what you mean. Jo Frost from the super nanny gives good advice for potty-training. But I'm kind of the shaking my head it should be your parents doing this not you. But if you have to potty-train him then you should. Good luck.
Isn't this something you should phone Childline about?
Reply 11
Original post by daisychain_
Isn't this something you should phone Childline about?

Thanks, although in most peoples opinions this is lazy parenting it is not neglectful or abusive. I don't see how Childline would help, no one is in danger.
Original post by YounesB
I wore a nappy at 4 years but only at night (bed wetter)

Wearing a nappy at night for bedwetting is different to not being potty trained. You can't help bedwetting but most children should be out of nappies in the day by 4.
What age did you stop wearing nappies at night?
Have your parents not made any attempts to potty train him?

Does your brother care about any of this?
Something really needs to be done about this, he will be likely starting school in a year and it is best for him to be used to being out of nappies by then. Lazy parenting for something like this is unacceptable.
Original post by ConnorRed
Wearing a nappy at night for bedwetting is different to not being potty trained. You can't help bedwetting but most children should be out of nappies in the day by 4.
What age did you stop wearing nappies at night?

True. 4and a half.
You may have to do it yourself. Buy him some pull up nappies so at least he can get use to pulling them up and down. Then get him to sit on a potty. Even if he is just sitting in it when he uses his nappy, at least then he will begin to understand it is where he must go. Then do whatever it takes to get him to wear underpants, you may have to just take the nappies away, but try bribing him first. It will probably be really hard to do if you're parents aren't bothering but you need to do it. Otherwise he will be in for a tough time at school.
Original post by YounesB
True. 4and a half.

Is that when you stopped wetting the bed or just stopped wearing nappies? I only ask because I suffer from nocturnal enuresis.
Original post by ConnorRed
Is that when you stopped wetting the bed or just stopped wearing nappies? I only ask because I suffer from nocturnal enuresis.

Well, I think I stopped at 5 but I had occasional incidents.

I used to also do weird things like sleepwalk and urinate near the front door when I was 5.

Very weird.
Reply 19
Original post by Lilyghz
Have your parents not made any attempts to potty train him?

Does your brother care about any of this?

They have tried (last time was a few months ago) but it didn't happen. They don't seem to commit to training him.
He is reluctant to give up the nappies so doesn't care. If he did want to potty train it would be easy. I'm hoping if he sees more children his age in pants he will want to wear them too.

Quick Reply

Latest