The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sorry Beast - I diddnt mean for it to come across like that - I was in a foul mood when I wrote that - entirely innapropriate - My apologies

Wangers
suuuuuuseh
I can do the 'female version'- but they never seem to do anything for me at all.

I'm not surprised, I really always have had trouble to see the use of the 'female' push-ups, it doesn't require a lot of work from the muscles in order to perform one of those and hence no muscle growth or increased endurance. Start doing real push ups instead (i.e. if you are able lol). I mean just to compare, what would taking 10kg in benchpress give? Not much increase in strength at least...
Reply 22
Guffy
10 push ups are really going to be giving you very little benefit unless you happen to be severely weak, or you have some weight on your back.

if you do any exercise slowly you work the muscle harder than when you do it fast. Lift weights on a concentration curl slowly and then fastly, you obviously work it more when your doing it slowly and so get tired faster. The same applies to doing push ups fast and slow, so you can benefit from only doing 10.
Reply 23
Krysa
It always seems to hurt my wrists for some reason, maybe I'm leaning too far forward. I can do about 20 of the regular ones, I think the women's ones aren't really practical (the one on bended knees), I mean, it's just like bowing sitting down? If you get what I mean; you're not using many muscles?

check the position that you start the press up in, it shouldnt be straining the wrists.
Reply 24
L1m3y
if you do any exercise slowly you work the muscle harder than when you do it fast. Lift weights on a concentration curl slowly and then fastly, you obviously work it more when your doing it slowly and so get tired faster. The same applies to doing push ups fast and slow, so you can benefit from only doing 10.

This is true, and is occasionally something I will do with weights for varation in my routine, but push ups provide so little resistance, that to create any microtrauma each rep (concentric and eccentric portions together) would need to be like a minute long, which is a longass time to complete one set.
I'm a girl, and I've never managed a press up either. My hands really hurt and tend to slip which stops me from doing them.
Reply 26
For people with hurting wrists, try holding something like a fat pen in your fist, then do press ups with your knuckles on the floor (cushions if you have concrete floors)

Fat pen is to stop finger ligaments being stretched.
Reply 27
Ooh, the same principle works for me with sit-ups. I find it much easier to do many in a row if I alternate between crossing my arms across my chest and putting my hands to my head.
Trangulor
For people with hurting wrists, try holding something like a fat pen in your fist, then do press ups with your knuckles on the floor (cushions if you have concrete floors)

Fat pen is to stop finger ligaments being stretched.

Thanks - I'll give that a go
Reply 29
In terms of improving, try and increase the amount you do every day. Say by 1 or 2 to start with, but maybe 10 later on. Enjoy. :smile:
Reply 30
Until you can do a lot at which point its pointless and start using weights like some people suggested or do it purely for resistance :\.
Oh yeah, push ups are pretty good - never underestimate :biggrin:

The wider you place your hands, the more you strengthen your pectorials, which is great for me :cool: And if you place your hands in a sort of triangle position in front of you, you exercise your triceps. Harder to explain but it's cool once you know how.
Reply 32
The Beast
Just thought i'd tell everyone finding push ups hard. no matter how hard i tried i couldn't get past 30 - 35 in a row. now im doin 50+ n i've only been using this method for a week.
when doing push ups do different types, because they all work different muscles eg. do 20 normal ones 20 with legs raised 20 wide and 20 narrow (theres loads more, google it). when you come back to doing normal ones you'll find them alot easier.

Hope this helps.
:biggrin:

if this actually works i love you forever :biggrin:

and rep too :wink:
Reply 33
lol
I used to be able to do about 2, then I built it up to 5, and then I tried again after not going to the gym for a while and I couldn't even do on e:'(, starting from scrath I guess

Latest

Trending

Trending