The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My Mum and I were saying, we don't think this teacher would even pass Media Studies now. She and my other teacher made up a schedule as we're being taught one unit alongside coursework and they haven't been sticking to it for 2 weeks, so I've had to go home numerous times to get another folder.

I'm usually good with discussion lessons i.e lectures, but she does tend to teach us one markers. The last thing she told us to write down about a newspaper article was to point out to the examiner how many times the word Amish was printed :s-smilie: I'll give it some more shots though.
Reply 21
We get asked to do a lot of presentations and feedback as well. You can't get a full sentence out before she says "NO THAT'S WRONG" or "I disagree with you..." or she re-words what you just said to suit her.
I have a teacher, who spends the whole hour talking about random stuff, how great she is at organising, how she has all our lessons planned and everything, but never teaches us anything class. The bell goes, and we get "Right, if you'll gather round, I'll just show you this" and ends up going on 5-10 minutes into break time. Plus at the beginning of lessons, she springs tests on us, that we don't know we actually had! One time, one of my classmates wasn't feeling well, and this teacher thought she was upset or bored or something, so she goes and gets sweets and lollies, to try and cheer us up! She also runs a lesson outside of school, directly related to the subject she teaches, but not the actual A level syllabus, and says that it will boost our A level grades dramatically. Fair enough, but the catch is, she charges 5 quid every week! i don't see why we should PAY to learn what we should be learning in class!
Reply 23
[q] we don't think this teacher would even pass Media Studies now. [/q]

My art teacher told us she wouldn't get an A the GCSE we do because she's crap at writing.

She was trying to teach us how to do writing that lesson.
Reply 24
AisAis
[q] we don't think this teacher would even pass Media Studies now. [/q]

My art teacher told us she wouldn't get an A the GCSE we do because she's crap at writing.

She was trying to teach us how to do writing that lesson.

Haha!!! Oh dear. Did she get anything across?
Reply 25
The class is full of dummies anyway.

We spent about a week learning how to use a writing frame. :rolleyes:
Reply 26
AisAis
The class is full of dummies anyway.

We spent about a week learning how to use a writing frame. :rolleyes:

*giggle* Aww.
Reply 27
I completely understand how you feel. My psychology teacher is horrible. We come in,he gives us a piece of paper to make notes with a textbook and thats it. He refuses to answer questions for us and when he sets homework,its about work we wont be learning for another week or two. We have had so many arguments with him over this and he still thinks hes right. So I hope everything works out okay with your teacher.
Reply 28
My business studies lesson is the best out of all my other subjects as the teacher has a good style, he talks like he's a teenager about issues that would appeal to us and all the content and application stuff then he sets past test papers and learning key words for homework, on the other hand in art your just left to it, because you can't be taught how to draw really. Photography you just get on with it, Maths and General Studies are the most boring subjects and i never thought i'd say that about maths.

General Studies is a waste of time- does anyone else it and find it interesting?
Reply 29
My teacher doesn't answer many questions either- she usually rambles on for 10 minutes non stop, and says so much you're not sure what to write down. If you ask for help you get "I've said it once and I'm not saying it again." Quite a few people have had this problem.

Thanks though :smile:

I actually liked General Studies- I wasn't always fond of the lessons, because a lot of people didn't get it and the lessons seemed to drag, but I liked the topics. I was gonna continue it at A2 but I would've had to have taught it to myself, and none of the reputable uni's I want to get into accept it.
Reply 30
sol89
Yeah thats what my history lessons are like, presentation this, feedback that. I'm terrified of speaking infront of the class, I wish he/she would just stand infront of the class and talk. :frown:

To the person who is terrified of speaking in front of the class, try your best to contribute at least once in every lesson! A-Levels are about progressing from rote learning which will get you by at GCSE. If you want to excel at uni and beyond you need to develop confidence in your own ideas, and the only way that is going to happen is if you start to think for yourself. If the teacher stands at the front of the class and spoonfeeds you all the info you won't have the opportunity to progress and everyone is your class will write near identical essays!
Reply 31
Teachers ahhh where is the consistency I have two teachers (chemistry and english lit) who are absoloutely rubbish the chem teacher goes through it once and then when we get it wrong she has a moan...she doesn't even tell us where we've gone wrong. The english teacher is boring me too death i have a passion for eng lit but she's slowly killing it with 4essays done and 1 assesement done, she's also killing Merchant of Venice off!:eek: :frown:
Reply 32
killing Merchant of Venice off!

Noo, don't let it happen. Merchant of Venice rocks . Best Shakespeare I've studied so far. Meh, so what I've only done Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet? :P
Reply 33
My maths teacher is dyslixic and I know he can't help it but we had a fab teacher last year and some of the things he does drive me mad. Theres 3 people in our class with the name and we're all next to each other on the registar. He has been teaching us since September and is still suprised by it and has to comment on it.

He comes into the lesson and asks us what we haven't leant about, finds the chapter in his stupid text book that we've had to start using this year, goes through the worked example by reading it out of the book then tells us to do that excercise. He gives us pathetic homeworks which are not even related to the topic we have learnt about then doesn't bother to even check that we've done it. The other problem is that he told us that his wife is seriously ill so nobody feels like they can complain.
Reply 34
666baby
The other problem is that he told us that his wife is seriously ill so nobody feels like they can complain.

Bugger :frown:
Reply 35
All my teachers are great at teaching except from my Science teacher, he cannot control the class and he just stands in front of the class saying he's not going to do anything until they sit down and be quiet (Which means never because my Science class is basically full of chavs...) and it annoys me so much because I want to get on with the work. I'm in set 3 basically because I've had so many rubbish teachers and I want to get to at least set 2 by the end of year 9, which means I have to work on Science at home in order to do that >_>
Reply 36
Emmaporter
All my teachers are great at teaching except from my Science teacher, he cannot control the class and he just stands in front of the class saying he's not going to do anything until they sit down and be quiet (Which means never because my Science class is basically full of chavs...) and it annoys me so much because I want to get on with the work. I'm in set 3 basically because I've had so many rubbish teachers and I want to get to at least set 2 by the end of year 9, which means I have to work on Science at home in order to do that >_>

Boy do I relate to that!! That was my Maths teacher in Year 11. I was in the middle set, but was told to move up. I refused, because he had been a great teacher, but due to his age he got things wrong with him and got lazy.
HA my theatre studies teacher just sits there rambling on for half an hour reading stuff from a information book, even when she knows we're not listening..terrible!!
Reply 38
prash_s90
HA my theatre studies teacher just sits there rambling on for half an hour reading stuff from a information book, even when she knows we're not listening..terrible!!

Thankfully we don't use books. But the head of theatre does like to ramble. Bless her.
Reply 39
Currently we have a graduate chemistry teacher (I use the term loosely) teaching us physics. It took him a week to cover V=IR which most of us had learnt in year 7 electronics. Apparently we're going to be given a real physics teacher soon :p:

God bless state education...

Latest

Trending

Trending