The Student Room Group

University entry criteria "or equivalent"

I was wondering if if Universities which say, i.e. entry requirements are ABB or Equivalent are asking for a UCAS Tarrif equivalence or are refferring to other qualifications, such as BTEC Level 3 which count as 3 Grades. For example, I did a LAMDA Course which counts toward UCAS Points, however, I don't know if this falls under the "or equivalent" section or not. (Do Universities have to state, i.e. 300 UCAS Points for it to be exclusively based on UCAS Points?)
What course you going for, and what qualification do you have?
Tends to be to the universities discretion - some state that they don't accept BTEC outright, whilst some are very happy to take it in place of A levels.
Reply 2
Original post by APET55555
I was wondering if if Universities which say, i.e. entry requirements are ABB or Equivalent are asking for a UCAS Tarrif equivalence or are refferring to other qualifications, such as BTEC Level 3 which count as 3 Grades. For example, I did a LAMDA Course which counts toward UCAS Points, however, I don't know if this falls under the "or equivalent" section or not. (Do Universities have to state, i.e. 300 UCAS Points for it to be exclusively based on UCAS Points?)

Grade 8 Oboe gets you UCAS points but universities are unlikely to let you count it for an engineering application - it all depends on the course and the university so if you aren't sure whether something will count or not then check with the admissions where you want to apply.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by APET55555

As a general rule if a uni says ABB etc or equivalent they would be referring to the equivalent level of qualification in another exam for example the Pre-U, IB, Scottish Higher, Irish Leaving cert or any accepted international qualification.
There may be exceptions but you need to check with individual unis and courses.
Reply 4
Original post by hellodave5
What course you going for, and what qualification do you have?
Tends to be to the universities discretion - some state that they don't accept BTEC outright, whilst some are very happy to take it in place of A levels.

I have just started A Levels so haven't any A Level Qualifications yet. Business management is my preference.
Reply 5
Original post by em.d_4
As a general rule if a uni says ABB etc or equivalent they would be referring to the equivalent level of qualification in another exam for example the Pre-U, IB, Scottish Higher, Irish Leaving cert or any accepted international qualification.
There may be exceptions but you need to check with individual unis and courses.

Thanks, very helpful
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
Grade 8 Oboe gets you UCAS points but universities are unlikely to let you count it for an enginerring application - it all depends on the course and the university so if you aren't sure whether something will count of not then check with the admissions where you want to apply.

Thanks, that was very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest