The Student Room Group

Help with finding universities for media production

I'm currently in my first year of college and am hoping to get a place on a media production course at university. From what I've found online Lincoln seems like a good first choice but I'm really not sure where else to apply to. I live about 90 minutes from Lincoln.
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
Original post by BillyBrooks
I'm currently in my first year of college and am hoping to get a place on a media production course at university. From what I've found online Lincoln seems like a good first choice but I'm really not sure where else to apply to. I live about 90 minutes from Lincoln.

Do some searches on Unistats and Which? University, they'll give you information on courses available and you can compare them. Also search websites and YouTube for student work, it tells you a lot about the sort of people you'll be working with. Then once you've shortlisted some universities, visit them. However even visiting doesn't give you the full picture until you're actually studying there.

I am a TV Production student at Bournemouth University, we also do have a Media Production course. I applied for Lincoln for Media Production but I declined the offer. On open day both students and staff kept repeating that Bournemouth and Birmingham are the better institutions, then they just kept comparing themselves to Bournemouth. It was really annoying to be honest.
Hi there BillyBrooks,

Like KBradders has said you should definitely look into Bournemouth University! I am a first year student studying in the media school at BU and I am loving it!

The media school is award winning and boasts loads of industry connections. The media school is the home to all of the TV production courses and the building has several professional facilites including a radio studio and a green screen room. You should definitely check it out on the BU website! Here is the link for the media school; https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/discover/schools-and-faculty/media-school

All media school courses also offer a placement (most being 40 weeks). This is such a great opportunity for student to get the industry experience that employers are looking for! You can also get involved in SUBU's "NERVE" media, NERVE offers a student magazine, TV station and radio station and it is very popular amongst students from all courses! It will also offer you a bit more experience!

If you have any more questions about BU feel free to ask me :biggrin:

Chris
Original post by BillyBrooks

Hi Billy,

Where did you apply to in the end?

As said above, I would have to suggest Bournemouth as the place to study!
I am currently a first year student studying Television Production and I love my course! We do very similar things to the Media Production course and its very practical. Your get loads of hands on experience and both courses offer work placements.

The media school at Bournemouth is well known in the industry and you can see why. We have fantastic equipment including a HD studio, a smaller studio, up to date cameras, editing suites, radio suites and much more.

Good luck with your application and I am sure your enjoy university no matter where you end up studying!

If you have any questions about university in general please feel free to ask.

Gemma

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending