The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ForestCat
I think the EU comes into it because it governs the amount of hours a doctor must have in education before they can be fully registered. GEM gets away with it atm because of FY1 but if they move the point of registration, then 4 years just isn't enough time to get the required hours.

Yup. I'm actually a lot happier knowing the point of reg thing is in the hands of UK authorities. I'd hope that they wouldn't make things even tougher for graduates and there would be a lot of pressure to keep this route accessible for widening access etc.
Reply 61
Original post by ProspectiveGEM
afaik the EU comes into play because it'd be illegal to run the 4 year programmes AND grant full registration at the point of graduation.

http://careers.bmj.com/careers/advice/view-article.html?id=20017623

it appears the move is strongly opposed, so I'm hopeful a more reasonable solution is sought rather than shutting down 4 year courses :tongue:

The European Union and European law are two different things.

The EU is not driving this change and indeed has no say in the matter whatsoever.

If the change did go forward it wouldn't make the 4 year courses illegal, it simply means the degree is not recognised by the EU.

The change has both proponents and opponents. It may still happen.
I'm just rather hoping I can get on to the foundation years before they make any changes. Highly unlikely in my eyes.
Original post by Zorg
The European Union and European law are two different things.

The EU is not driving this change and indeed has no say in the matter whatsoever.

If the change did go forward it wouldn't make the 4 year courses illegal, it simply means the degree is not recognised by the EU.

The change has both proponents and opponents. It may still happen.
I'm just rather hoping I can get on to the foundation years before they make any changes. Highly unlikely in my eyes.

Haha.. if anything it's valuable life lessons in outside actors who we have no control over making huge decisions that significantly influence our medical careers.

if they do shift this around it'd be the biggest change since the replacement of house officers with F1 so you'd imagine it'd be a lengthy process, there's not been too much said about it yet but maybe things are moving behind the scenes. Who knows!?
Any amendment to the UK qualification could have implications for Europeanrecognition of UK graduate entry programmes (GEPs), and compliance with theminimum requirements for basic medical training. Members of the EuropeanParliament, on 9 October 2013, have adopted the revised Directive comprising aminimum duration of basic medical training of 5 years and 5,500 hours. Wewould need to understand the European Commission’s perspective about thechange, including whether graduates entering four year GEPs would be able tocount aspects of their first degree towards the five year duration of basicmedical training. This is a particularly important issue for those GEPs thatadmit arts graduates. There is good evidence that these students progress atleast as well as science graduates, but the definition of basic medical educationin the Directive refers to specific knowledge of ‘the sciences on which medicineis based and a good understanding of the scientific methods’ rather than moregeneral skills that any graduate would acquire.

Hi guys just thought i'd jump in and say i'm looking at 2016 or 2017 entry. 2017 seems more likely though as i think i've come in a bit late to get everything done by October!

I'm 25 and currently work as an events/entertainment manager. Medicine is the old favourite of 'if i could go back and do it all again'. So why not! Have a 2:1 in Music from Brunel but no science A Levels. Going for Newcastle and Warwick for 2016, then taking A Level Chem fast track over the coming year and will then hopefully apply for Newcastle, Warwick, Southampton and take the GAMSAt for St Georges...All assuming the GEM is still in place as per the comments above!
Are you allowed to take the ukcat/gamsat/bmat a year early? I'm scared I'll fail really bad the first time round
Morning - I am taking the GAMSAT next March and am looking for some study materials. Does anyone recommend any of the following?

Medprep
Goldstandard
Kaplan

Am from an arts background so really need main help with the sciences

Good luck all
Original post by adamphilpot
Hi guys just thought i'd jump in and say i'm looking at 2016 or 2017 entry. 2017 seems more likely though as i think i've come in a bit late to get everything done by October!

I'm 25 and currently work as an events/entertainment manager. Medicine is the old favourite of 'if i could go back and do it all again'. So why not! Have a 2:1 in Music from Brunel but no science A Levels. Going for Newcastle and Warwick for 2016, then taking A Level Chem fast track over the coming year and will then hopefully apply for Newcastle, Warwick, Southampton and take the GAMSAt for St Georges...All assuming the GEM is still in place as per the comments above!

trust me dont waste your time and money on the A level in chem as SOTON is still UKCAT heavy so if you bomb the UKCAT you might as well no apply. you are 100% better putting the time and money into the GAMSAT and opening up notts, swansea and georges
Original post by tahtahspo
Are you allowed to take the ukcat/gamsat/bmat a year early? I'm scared I'll fail really bad the first time round

The GAMSAT is valid for 2 years.

In the UK you can sit it this September, you can sit GAMSAT Ireland in London in March and you can sit it in September 2016 (you won't know the marks from this one at the time of application).

UKCAT is only valid for one cycle, but if you have the money, it might be worth taking it a year in advance anyway (they also have a bursary if you come from a lower income family).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lcsurfer
trust me dont waste your time and money on the A level in chem as SOTON is still UKCAT heavy so if you bomb the UKCAT you might as well no apply. you are 100% better putting the time and money into the GAMSAT and opening up notts, swansea and georges

While this is true, you can decide whether or not to do the Chem after you've got your UKCAT result, then you'll know you're not wasting your time. You'll just have a conditional offer, but since you only need a C that should be ok!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ProspectiveGEM
The GAMSAT is valid for 2 years.

In the UK you can sit it this September, you can sit GAMSAT Ireland in London in March and you can sit it in September 2016 (you won't know the marks from this one at the time of application).

Original post by Going_To_California
UKCAT is only valid for one cycle, but if you have the money, it might be worth taking it a year in advance anyway (they also have a bursary if you come from a lower income family).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right ok. I'm still not sure which universities I'm going to be considering yet.
Have any of you guys pinpointed which universities you're going to be applying to?
Ah right ok. I'm still not sure which universities I'm going to be considering yet.
Have any of you guys pinpointed which universities you're going to be applying to?

I was successful this cycle and chose only UKCAT universities. I didn't feel I could do the GAMSAT justice as I'm still studying. If you have the time and the money, it's probably better to try both, it maximises your chances in case one test doesn't go your way.

No I haven't because I don't currently know my UKCAT or GAMSAT.
Joining this thread a little late :colondollar:

But I was just wondering, do we need to give all of our module grades on our degree? Even first year? Because even though I haven't got my results through yet, I think they'll be incredibly average at best. It was pure laziness and entirely my own fault, but do you think this will matter as long as I get a 2:1 or a 1st in second and third year?

Trying to sort out some work experience for next year at the moment; so far I've only got working on reception in a GP's surgery (a few weeks at a time on different occassions) and shadowing a GP and nurse. I should get some more shadowing in a hospital soon, but I'm struggling to find any voluntary work in care homes etc, anyone else finding this difficult?

EC is fine, and I have a lot of experience working with children, just worried I won't have enough experience in a caring environment when it's time to apply.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gms95
Joining this thread a little late :colondollar:

But I was just wondering, do we need to give all of our module grades on our degree? Even first year? Because even though I haven't got my results through yet, I think they'll be incredibly average at best. It was pure laziness and entirely my own fault, but do you think this will matter as long as I get a 2:1 or a 1st in second and third year?

Trying to sort out some work experience for next year at the moment; so far I've only got working on reception in a GP's surgery (a few weeks at a time on different occassions) and shadowing a GP and nurse. I should get some more shadowing in a hospital soon, but I'm struggling to find any voluntary work in care homes etc, anyone else finding this difficult?

EC is fine, and I have a lot of experience working with children, just worried I won't have enough experience in a caring environment when it's time to apply.

On UCAS my referee included my predicted classification only, there's no need for detailed module results.
Have you looked into volunteering on a hospital ward?
Reply 76
Original post by -inspired-
i'm currently studying english literature so a bit of a change haha! At the moment i think i'm going to apply to st. George's, southampton and warwick. I'm not quite sure about my fourth choice, it'll depend on whether i do better at the ukcat or gamsat i think haha. What about you? Why did you decide to apply for medicine? :smile:

big change!
Original post by Going_To_California
On UCAS my referee included my predicted classification only, there's no need for detailed module results.
Have you looked into volunteering on a hospital ward?

Oh thank god! That's a load off my mind :smile: Thank you!

Yeah I have, but my local hospitals have said they have loads of applicants for volunteer work and have closed their applications until October. I'm looking at hospitals a little further out, but the nearest one is about 1hr 30 minutes away... I'll still apply and send a few emails etc, but I'd rather find something a bit closer, about 45 minutes would be ideal.

I was thinking about being a befriender, but I'm not sure if this would count as a "caring environment" seeing as I'll be seeing people in their homes?
Original post by gms95
Oh thank god! That's a load off my mind :smile: Thank you!

Yeah I have, but my local hospitals have said they have loads of applicants for volunteer work and have closed their applications until October. I'm looking at hospitals a little further out, but the nearest one is about 1hr 30 minutes away... I'll still apply and send a few emails etc, but I'd rather find something a bit closer, about 45 minutes would be ideal.

I was thinking about being a befriender, but I'm not sure if this would count as a "caring environment" seeing as I'll be seeing people in their homes?

No problem :smile: My first year wasn't great either haha.
That's unfortunate, but befriending would still be really good experience. However, I think it'd be worth persisting with finding voluntary work in a care home/ hospital setting if possible. Even if you started in October, there would be plenty of time before applying!
Heya! Going to join this thread!

Currently studying Medical Physiology at University of Leicester, just completed first year and although things could've been slightly smoother I'm still determined to study Medicine.
I don't have a lot of work experience under my belt, however I'm going to be embarking on a 1 year volunteering program this August, within a hospital setting, hopefully this should reinforce my application. Also going to be looking for a week at a GP's, mainly for clinical experience.
Started my research a while back and I've come to the conclusion that I want to apply to:

Nottingham (GAMSAT)

Barts and the London (UKCAT)

Warwick (UKCAT)

SGUL (GAMSAT)

I've done quite a bit of EC's so i'm not particularly thinking about that, in terms of applicants, I'd place myself as being an all-rounder, although I could work on my interpersonal skills

In terms of GAMSAT, when do we sit the exam? If we're applying Sept. 2016 then I presume the exam has to be taken before this date?

How can I make my application stronger? With competition being so high I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to get 'extra brownie points', should I start revising for UKCAT/GAMSAT now? Should I look for more work experience/ volunteer in a hospice/ shadow a GP, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending