The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Sorry forgot to say, i am a current student at Swansea University. What part of the application process are you at?
Original post by gmg2710
Sorry forgot to say, i am a current student at Swansea University. What part of the application process are you at?

I'm still an undergraduate as of present but I'm currently resitting my a-levels and doing HCA work
It's good that you are getting work experience in early, as lots of universities now have this as a requirement, and care roles give you a great opportunity to reflect in your personal statement. Just break each part of the application down and start to check bits off.

Graduate Entry Medicine is very competitive to gain a place, so do as many little things you can to boost your application. Which entrance exam(s) are you planning on sitting?
Original post by gmg2710
It's good that you are getting work experience in early, as lots of universities now have this as a requirement, and care roles give you a great opportunity to reflect in your personal statement. Just break each part of the application down and start to check bits off.

Graduate Entry Medicine is very competitive to gain a place, so do as many little things you can to boost your application. Which entrance exam(s) are you planning on sitting?

GMG, is anyone on your facebook, was hoping for more one to one advice etc
Original post by gmg2710

All 3 of them, UKCAT, BMAT and GAMSAT. What else should you think I do? I'm resitting some of my A-level Biology and Chemistry units because I only got C's overall and I'm going to do Maths AS this year, aiming for an A.
Original post by puddleduck
Hey everyone! Any advice?

I have a 2.2 in biology and am just finishing my MSc in Forensic Medical Science (unless anything magical happens, I'll be getting a merit- the equivalent of a 2.1).

Sat my GAMSAT in March and scored 70,72,79 (75 overall).

Just sat my UKCAT and scored VR: 720, QR: 620, AR: 670 (total 2010, 670 average), with a band 2 in SJ.

I don't have a tonne of work experience, but should have a load before interview.

I'm definitely applying to Nottingham and St Georges. Before taking the UKCAT, I was thinking of applying to Warwick and King's. Preferably want to stay in London, because I can't afford to move out.... but anyway.... do you guys think that applying to Warwick and King's is a total waste? On the other hand, since I f*cked up UKCAT I was thinking about throwing caution to the wind, sitting the BMAT and applying to Oxford, seeing as they don't have "entry requirements" per say..... but that seems like insanity.

Thoughts? x

That's a fantastic GAMSAT score, very jealous! Why are you not applying to Swansea? As they accept 2.2 with Masters (as long as you have GCSE English and Maths at Grade C+) and use GAMSAT.

I'd still apply to Warwick as you also have a great VR score which is the initial part of their selection process. Don't know enough about King's to have any say there, but I'd really recommend including Swansea in your chosen unis as your GAMSAT score is so good!
Original post by PurpleSquid
hey guys
i was wondering how old the stuff you mention in your ps is? (oh and i'm talking non-academic, non-work-experience-related)
because i have some stuff that i did before university (i.e. during school) which demonstrates a lot of good attributes but i don't really have much equivalent stuff that i have done recently....
would unis be likely to ask how long ago you did specific things? not really sure what to do!

I've mentioned some work experience I did after secondary school but the bulk of the work experience I've talked about is during the past year.

I think generally, the experience has to be within the last two years.
Is studying for BMAT too late now? or is 1 month enough?
Original post by Ama2007
Is studying for BMAT too late now? or is 1 month enough?

plenty!

its a lot easier to prep than the ukcat x
Original post by Lostperson
plenty!

its a lot easier to prep than the ukcat x

Oh ok, is it similar to the GAMSAT? *
Original post by Ama2007

i think its more simple?
because unlike the ukcat u can actually revise for it x
Original post by Ama2007

GAMSAT IS 10x worse than BMAT
Hello everyone!

I emailed Birmingham after finding out about their GCSE requirements and this is what they said:

We do not expect to reject an application if the only concerning aspect is a GCSE grade.

I think this shows they really do look at the overall application!
Original post by Katray
Hello everyone!

I emailed Birmingham after finding out about their GCSE requirements and this is what they said:

We do not expect to reject an application if the only concerning aspect is a GCSE grade.

I think this shows they really do look at the overall application!

What do they actually look at?
I'm just entering my qualifications in the education section of my UCAS. Will not putting down my modules/marks disadvantage my application?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lilibee
I'm just entering my qualifications in the education section of my UCAS. Will not putting down my modules/marks disadvantage my application?

We don't have to enter module marks do we?
I can't get through to my former personal tutor by email or by phone and her phone wouldn't even go to voicemail.
Hi all,

I have created a thread for those like me who are thinking of applying to Oxford for the 4-year accelerated course. The link is listed below:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4340256
I had my hopes on Birmingham, what do they actually look at, apart from your degree how do they differentiate?

I have a 2.1 in MPharm and AAAAC in my Highers (equivalent to AS i think :tongue:) done back in 2007. This is what they said when *I emailed them!
''Thank you for your email. The C grade in the Scottish Highers will be a disadvantage to an application and may not be considered. It would depend on the level of competition at the time of your application. Kind regards''*

Doesn't make sense, a qualification gained nearly 10 years ago...*
does anyone on this forum know if my second work experience will count towards Warwick's requirements: i'm a carer *(this is accepted as its on the list on their website) and a 999 call handler, now this is what I'm worried about as it says call centre operative isn't acceptable :/ i feel it should be though as its very relevant medical experience*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending